Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: 1619 Project

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    I understand where your post is coming from, but separately I am tired of the genuflection required with each and every remark about bad things. It reminds me a lot of Adam's user title, "Nazis are bad." He was mocking the same ritual, different evil.
    I understand that. But Adam's title makes sense...Nazis are bad. I doubt LM would be able to say the same about slavery as it existed in the U.S. with reference to black people.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

2. Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 7:30 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    I don't know about colonial times, but by 1860, roughly a quarter of the households in the South had slaves.
    So, a relatively small, monied minority.

Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    Pretty hard to do that.
    It is, but what has to happen for any rational discussion is accepting the fact that slavery was the normal condition literally world-wide at that time. It's easy to project our own moral values of today upon the past, but the fact is that to do so is still looking through the telescope backwards.

And just because they weren't beaten to within an inch of their lives doesn't mean they were properly cared for.
    No one is doubting that, in the sense of slavery was morally wrong and these people who were fed and clothed weren't the ones attending dinner parties as guests.

The simple fact is that slavery is a part of the human condition literally everywhere on earth throughout history, from the Incas to the Chinese to the Japanese to the multitude of Germanic peoples to Native Americans to aboriginal peoples in the South Pacific to every inch of Africa. The only distinctions about slavery in the United States is that it was relatively rare, very expensive for those who held slaves, and compared to the slavery of, say, the Nazis, relatively humane. Slavery is and was morally wrong, but literally not one single person alive today is somehow affected by slavery in the United States. It's over. It's a dead issue. Trying to claim it now is just a bullshit deflection in order to extort something or another out of everyone else, be that "reparations" or social services or just general pity.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

4. Likes Lady Marva, 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    So, a relatively small, monied minority.

It is, but what has to happen for any rational discussion is accepting the fact that slavery was the normal condition literally world-wide at that time. It's easy to project our own moral values of today upon the past, but the fact is that to do so is still looking through the telescope backwards.

No one is doubting that, in the sense of slavery was morally wrong and these people who were fed and clothed weren't the ones attending dinner parties as guests.

The simple fact is that slavery is a part of the human condition literally everywhere on earth throughout history, from the Incas to the Chinese to the Japanese to the multitude of Germanic peoples to Native Americans to aboriginal peoples in the South Pacific to every inch of Africa. The only distinctions about slavery in the United States is that it was relatively rare, very expensive for those who held slaves, and compared to the slavery of, say, the Nazis, relatively humane. Slavery is and was morally wrong, but literally not one single person alive today is somehow affected by slavery in the United States. It's over. It's a dead issue. Trying to claim it now is just a bullshit deflection in order to extort something or another out of everyone else, be that "reparations" or social services or just general pity.
    In some parts of the U.S. nearly 40% of the population owned slaves. I don't find that to be rare.

We are all affected by slavery if we live here because slavery affected the course of our history.
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 7:30 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    In some parts of the U.S. nearly 40% of the population owned slaves. I don't find that to be rare.
    I do, given that slavery was almost universal in Rome. Again: relatively when compared to human history.

We are all affected by slavery if we live here because slavery affected the course of our history.
    Then your history and mine were affected by the slavery in our pasts. And this is why it comes around to stupid so frequently. My peoples (and yours, I presume) were slaves, so were Michele's, so were Celeste's, scott's ... hell, I bet even Norm's peoples were once upon a time slaves.

How far back do we go to somehow undo this historical wrong? Is there ANY statute of limitations on this? I would certainly think that if my great-great-great grandfather robbed a bank in 1823, I'm not somehow still responsible for the gold that he stole back then.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:15 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only exceptions are criminal arrangements, largely (from what I've read) families coming from elsewhere with their slaves in tow. One was in New York, I recall. Then there's the slightly larger problem of sex trafficking, which is tantamount to enslavement, however it's charged. That too usually involves foreign actors on U.S. soil (in my experience). But you're right, the morality is settled. It's a dead issue.

But even by indulging this discussion we are suckered by the "1619 Project" and related efforts by progressive Democrats and their fellow travelers.

The 1619 Project and related efforts are the mother of all race cards.

The 1619 project is like an Al Sharpton scam designed by smarter people. It's aim, pure and simple, is to discredit white people, and call illegitimate any pride they may feel toward the USA, so as to label any support for Trump and/or Republicans racist, or even better, white supremacist. It's designed and played because, frankly, the left has nothing else. They're running on empty. That's why the threat of physical violence, too, by the way. They've swapped it in for a losing argument.

Listen to Joe Biden worm his way in:
    Racism in America is an institutional "white man's problem visited on people of color," Vice President Joe Biden said Tuesday
    (This is an AP report, which presumes Evil Trump and glosses of the fact that Joe would have trouble getting his mother to come to his own wake: )

Taking aim at incendiary racial appeals by Trump, Biden said in an interview with a small group of reporters that a president's words can "appeal to the worst damn instincts of human nature,"
    Joe man-splains his white guilt:
    "White folks are the reason we have institutional racism," Biden said. "There has always been racism in America. White supremacists have always existed, they still exist."
    And so on. Joe is trying to toe that fine line, I'm a privileged old white man, but vote for me because I can belly-flop in the dirt.

It's just stupid. But it is where they're going with this.
    “The interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasn’t originally a climate thing at all.... We really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.” —Saikat Chakrabarti, then AOC's Chief of Staff, explaining the Green New Deal for the hard of hearing.

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    Today @ 2:00 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    The past isn't over. It isn't even past.
    -William Faulkner

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 3:10 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt LM would be able to say the same about slavery as it existed in the U.S. with reference to black people.
    Those black people can get down on their knees and give than thanks they were in America. As opposed to one heck of a lot of other places. So can their descendants who now get all the free stuff sans any work they might be expected to do.
    Oh golly, what do they do have to do to get free education. Nothing but be black.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Those black people can get down on their knees and give than thanks they were in America. As opposed to one heck of a lot of other places. So can their descendants who now get all the free stuff sans any work they might be expected to do.
    Oh golly, what do they do have to do to get free education. Nothing but be black.
    If ignorance were currency you would be a billionaire.
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

11. Likes Celeste Chalfonte liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like

Now Still fed and clothed. Housed. Given free schooling. Welfare. Whatever their hearts desire. Because why? Oh there is a small probability they had a slave ancestor.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like

Some parts? Which parts? Wyoming? Arizona? Oklahoma? California? North Dakota?
    Oh, you mean places like New York and New England where people had slaves.