Thread: CBS: Blaming Slavery for No Universal Health Care

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:50 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

CBS: Blaming Slavery for No Universal Health Care

CBS: Blaming Slavery for No Universal Health Care

By Scott Whitlock | August 22, 2019 4:59 PM EDT

CBS This Morning on Thursday promoted the New York Times attempt to blame everything wrong in American on slavery. Talking to Times journalist Nikole Hannah-Jones, co-host Gayle King praised the effort: “The thing that’s so amazing about this that makes me so proud, you can look at just about anything happening in the world today and tie it to slavery.”

She teed up Hannah-Jones, wondering, “You look at the naming of Wall Street. You look at sugar that we eat. But the thing that stuck out to me was health care, you can tie health care to slavery.”

According to the Times journalist, slavery, which ended in 1865, is the reason America doesn’t have total government-run health care:

We're the only western industrialized country that doesn't have universal health care. It starts with opposition to universal health care that occurs right after slavery when the Freedsmen’s Bureau was trying to offer free health care to the formerly enslaved and there was opposition to that. And so even today, you see with polling white Americans will reject social programs if they think large numbers of black people will benefit from them. So, the harms from slavery have not been contained because there are millions of white Americans, there are millions of Latinos and Asians and black Americans who don't have health care, who can’t get insurance because of slavery.
    This past Sunday, the Times published The 1619 Project. One section assailed capitalism: “In order to understand the brutality of American capitalism, you have to start on the plantation.”
    There are a lot of reasons the United States doesn't have government-run health care for all citizens but slavery isn't one of them.

News Busters
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

2. Likes Newman liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 2:34 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Slaves had free health care, such as health care was for anyone. Just as blacks do now. Paid for by the white folk who got them to America n the first place.

Last Online
    Today @ 6:16 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    There are a lot of reasons the United States doesn't have government-run health care for all citizens but slavery isn't one of them.

News Busters
    “The thing that’s so amazing about this that makes me so proud, you can look at just about anything happening in the world today and tie it to slavery.”

That's quite an epiphany, but not much more sophisticated than a game in the car we played a few months ago (and I may have mentioned it in these forums): Name anything, and the challenge is to be the first to explain why it's racist.
    “The interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasn’t originally a climate thing at all.... We really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.” —Saikat Chakrabarti, then AOC's Chief of Staff.

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous about extremists is not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say about their cause, but what they say about their opponents.” ―Robert F. Kennedy.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:50 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, virtually all human beings alive today are the descendants of slaves since slavery was the normal condition of most human beings off and on all around the world.

If your Great-Times-Whatever-Grandmother had her village overrun or her husband/father/brothers killed by some rival group, odds are Granny was enslaved and so were her children conceived in rape. Those children three generations later probably had their turn at some raping, pillaging, and enslavement themselves. When fighting and war didn't cause slavery, commerce certainly did as parents sold children into slavery around the world.

When the Founders went after the Barbary Pirates and their ilk, it wasn't mostly about the shipping losses - it was about the million Europeans and Americans taken into slavery by the Muslim pirates for 300 hundred years.

The take away from all this isn't that we are all victims - it's that we aren't. Europeans and Americans ended slavery and fought against it in various places at various times. Significant parts of the world still haven't got that memo. Slavery happens today but not on American college campuses or in Starbuck's stores.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

6. Likes Lady Marva liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Well, virtually all human beings alive today are the descendants of slaves since slavery was the normal condition of most human beings off and on all around the world.

If your Great-Times-Whatever-Grandmother had her village overrun or her husband/father/brothers killed by some rival group, odds are Granny was enslaved and so were her children conceived in rape. Those children three generations later probably had their turn at some raping, pillaging, and enslavement themselves. When fighting and war didn't cause slavery, commerce certainly did as parents sold children into slavery around the world.

When the Founders went after the Barbary Pirates and their ilk, it wasn't mostly about the shipping losses - it was about the million Europeans and Americans taken into slavery by the Muslim pirates for 300 hundred years.

The take away from all this isn't that we are all victims - it's that we aren't. Europeans and Americans ended slavery and fought against it in various places at various times. Significant parts of the world still haven't got that memo. Slavery happens today but not on American college campuses or in Starbuck's stores.
    Not what you'd hear if you sat in on the deposition of an allegedly-injured-on-the-job Starbucks employee. Biggest bunch of whiners I've encountered in a long time.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

8. Likes phillygirl liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Not what you'd hear if you sat in on the deposition of an allegedly-injured-on-the-job Starbucks employee. Biggest bunch of whiners I've encountered in a long time.
    Sounds like my day yesterday when I had to hear how the justice system is historically rigged against black people and they knew they wouldn't get a fair trial from the judge because of the biased justice system against black people. Keep in mind, both sides of the case are black. But somehow only my black people were discriminated against. The better whine would be who the other side is, not what color they are.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    boomers.jpg
    “Totalitarianism in power invariably replaces all first-rate talents, regardless of their sympathies, with those crackpots and fools whose lack of intelligence and creativity is still the best guarantee of their loyalty.”

~ Hannah Arendt

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    Sounds like my day yesterday when I had to hear how the justice system is historically rigged against black people and they knew they wouldn't get a fair trial from the judge because of the biased justice system against black people. Keep in mind, both sides of the case are black. But somehow only my black people were discriminated against. The better whine would be who the other side is, not what color they are.
    Doesn't matter. All the Starbucks whiners I've deposed have been white. They just think the company is mean and unfair because they expect you to show up reliably and do your job. I have yet to meet a low-wage injured worker who doesn't think the job they were doing was beneath them somehow, despite not being qualified for anything else.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).