Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making yogurt

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

Making yogurt

I'm thinking about making yogurt. I never did before, so I was reading some reviews and came across this one. It's hilarious!

5.0 out of 5 stars
    Another stupidly simple gadget I probably should have purchased years ago

I go through greek yogurt fairly quickly. I used to be all TEAM OIKOS but then finding full fat plain greek yogurt got far too complicated where I live (they think Outback Steakhouse is fancy here) so I was heartbroken omg.

Then my euro buds were all 'you BUY your yogurt? WTF murrican? Why don't you just make it?!?' and me, being the murrican I am, I got super triggered and offended and I was gonna open a can of Freedom up on their commie butts BUT....then I took the higher road and listened: I could *make* yogurt.

I did a ton of research since I was raised by baby boomers who thought leaving milk out on the counter for more than 5 minutes would unleash a botulism plague upon the world. I slowly began to realize that most of my favorite foods are just milk that's gone bad. Like...can milk even really go bad? Or does it just level up in cheese funk awesomeness? WHY WAS I LIED TO AS A KID?

Anyhoo. I eventually got this little diary conversion pod'o'bliss and some starter culture. GUESS WHAT? I followed the directions and made the best yogurt I've had outside of Greece and Italy. I love set it and pretty much forget it gadgets and this one is it pretty self-managing. You just have to remember that you're making yogurt.
    Last edited by phillygirl; Monday, August 26th, 2019 at 7:11 PM.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

2. Likes Michele, scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I make yogurt all the time. I don't know what a "dairy conversion pod'o'bliss" means precisely since it's still dairy, also you can just use a tablespoon of any real yogurt as your starter culture - no need to buy the ones they sell for that express purpose.

The "Greek" part of Greek yogurt is nothing more than straining the whey out for a number of hours. Personally, I have no idea why Greek yogurt is so popular since it's bitter compared to traditional European yogurt. It has more protein by weight but if you are seriously protein deficient, is yogurt really your best bet? Why not a steak?

You can also make your "Greek" yogurt into a delicious soft and spreadable cheese by kneading in your preferred herbs and flavorings after draining it longer. I drain it overnight over a bowl wrapped in....wait for it....cheesecloth with some kind of weight on it. Delectable stuff.

Seriously, if you like yogurt, you should make it since that's way cheaper and you get what you want. Whey itself has a lot of benefits so maybe reconsider draining it into Greek-style yogurt. If you really like a firmer, less loose consistency but want to keep the benefits of the whey, you can add a little natural gelatin to firm it up in a tasteless way (and this adds additional protein).
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I make yogurt all the time. I don't know what a "dairy conversion pod'o'bliss" means precisely since it's still dairy, also you can just use a tablespoon of any real yogurt as your starter culture - no need to buy the ones they sell for that express purpose.

The "Greek" part of Greek yogurt is nothing more than straining the whey out for a number of hours. Personally, I have no idea why Greek yogurt is so popular since it's bitter compared to traditional European yogurt. It has more protein by weight but if you are seriously protein deficient, is yogurt really your best bet? Why not a steak?

You can also make your "Greek" yogurt into a delicious soft and spreadable cheese by kneading in your preferred herbs and flavorings after draining it longer. I drain it overnight over a bowl wrapped in....wait for it....cheesecloth with some kind of weight on it. Delectable stuff.

Seriously, if you like yogurt, you should make it since that's way cheaper and you get what you want. Whey itself has a lot of benefits so maybe reconsider draining it into Greek-style yogurt. If you really like a firmer, less loose consistency but want to keep the benefits of the whey, you can add a little natural gelatin to firm it up in a tasteless way (and this adds additional protein).
    I like the new Yoplait Oui variety of yogurt. It's firm and creamy. I read some of the "blogs" of people making their own yogurt who gleefully talked about saving about 75 cents a week by making it themselves. Yeah, I don't need to save money that badly. I just thought it might be fun to make it myself and know exactly what ingredients were in there.

I thought the girl reviewing the yogurt maker (that's the reference to the "dairy conversion pod o bliss) was pretty funny.
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

5. Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 3:10 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    read some of the "blogs" of people making their own yogurt who gleefully talked about saving about 75 cents a week by making it themselves. Yeah, I don't need to save money that badly. I just thought it might be fun to make it myself and know exactly what ingredients were in there.
    Never going to make any product as a one-off cheaper than what is manufactured in quantity. Might have fun with it. Taste better? Maybe. Doughtful better over products tasted by panels of multiple people. But hey, if there's nothing better to do in life, go for it.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too funny..."nothing better to do in life"! Yeah, I don't lots of brown neighbor kids to yell at for being on my lawn, so I may as well make some real food rather than going to the 5.99 all you can eat buffet because it's been "taste tested".
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the new Yoplait Oui variety of yogurt. It's firm and creamy. I read some of the "blogs" of people making their own yogurt who gleefully talked about saving about 75 cents a week by making it themselves. Yeah, I don't need to save money that badly. I just thought it might be fun to make it myself and know exactly what ingredients were in there.

I thought the girl reviewing the yogurt maker (that's the reference to the "dairy conversion pod o bliss) was pretty funny.
    Yes, I really like that yogurt too, mostly because I dislike the runny, softer yogurts. When we were at a B&B in France, the little owner made us his own yogurt and it minded me of a cross between yogurt and creme fraiche...it was very good. Actually, if you've ever made creme fraiche (pint of heavy cream with a TBS or two of buttermilk...I've even used lemon juice...stirred in and then covered and set on your kitchen counter overnight), it had that consistency.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Yes, I really like that yogurt too, mostly because I dislike the runny, softer yogurts. When we were at a B&B in France, the little owner made us his own yogurt and it minded me of a cross between yogurt and creme fraiche...it was very good. Actually, if you've ever made creme fraiche (pint of heavy cream with a TBS or two of buttermilk...I've even used lemon juice...stirred in and then covered and set on your kitchen counter overnight), it had that consistency.
    I have to say, I agreed with the reviewer in terms of needing to drink milk directly from a refrigerator and I'm totally grossed out by the thought of milk sitting on a counter for a few hours. But my investigation into yogurt making has opened my eyes...since I apparently have nothing better to do in life...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

10. Likes Celeste Chalfonte, Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say, I agreed with the reviewer in terms of needing to drink milk directly from a refrigerator and I'm totally grossed out by the thought of milk sitting on a counter for a few hours. But my investigation into yogurt making has opened my eyes...since I apparently have nothing better to do in life...
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

12. Likes phillygirl liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:52 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Never going to make any product as a one-off cheaper than what is manufactured in quantity. Might have fun with it. Taste better? Maybe. Doughtful better over products tasted by panels of multiple people. But hey, if there's nothing better to do in life, go for it.
    Plenty of things are cheaper made at home vs. store bought:

Greek Yogurt https://projectmealplan.com/store-bo...ch-is-cheaper/
    Salsa, chicken broth https://cultivatehealthy.com/2017/12...-store-bought/
    Bagels https://slate.com/human-interest/200...m-scratch.html
    Cake https://www.getrichslowly.org/which-...n-the-kitchen/
    Hummus https://skillet.lifehacker.com/which...elf-1826993507
    Pasta sauce, guacamole https://brokelyn.com/make-vs-buy-a-f...o-your-fridge/
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 7:30 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

That was pretty much the first thing I thought of when I saw this: I buy the little cups of yogurt for like 50 at the grocery, less if I get it in bunches of ten at a time or whatever, so making my own would not really be something that I would be interested in.

But, I like making my own mayonnaise, which is 1000x better than the stuff you get out of a jar, so I can sort of see the appeal that way. I'm almost certainly not actually saving money making my own mayonnaise (I've never actually worked out the cost per oz.), but I like to do it. I'm not really into yogurt enough to worry about an improved taste, I have it for a late-night snack and a substitute for sweets when I get the occasional sweet-tooth, but I'm just not really married to the stuff.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.