Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Making yogurt

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:52 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    What is the purpose of manufacturing something of human food grade in quantity? Feed it to pigs?
    To sell it for what they can charge.
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then the utility cost should be pro-rated.
    Pennies per cooking session. I can break it down for you if you wish, I actually did this when I ran my house on generators for a week and was very very bored with no Internet. I even used meters (because I had them) to measure the current with the stove on and off. But for me to search through my old spreadsheets you have to convince me you are serious. Otherwise just know that it's pennies per cooking session.

Control at the end of a spoon will not guaranteed reproducibility for a mass market.
    That was never the point of the discussion, nor your point.

A pan or a bowl is not going to be suitable packaging for a grocery shelf.
    Again, never the point of the discussion, nor your point.

Quality of the finished product? Entirely subjective.
    Well since the subjective judge is also the consumer of the work product it's a bit of a wash.

Not reproducible in the hundreds or thousands of units.
    Again, not the point of the discussion nor your point.

Pretty sure the FDA and likes of the USDA aren't going to be favorable with a spoon stuck in every jar to taste something being sold.
    Again not the point of the discussion nor your point.

But of course the point is deliberately being missed so as to defend personal cooking practices. Which of course makes "superiority".
    Wow, you are as dumb as a bucket of hammers. Read the thread again, nobody "defended" personal cooking practices. This was started as a discussion about how to make yogurt at home (and it really is easy). Then it morphed into cost saving - when clueless you chimed in with blah blah blah.....

Also makes for something someone can do when they have are rich enough. Someone living in extreme poverty is not going to spend the money for ingredients to make white bread when it can be purchased for a dollar or be gotten from a food bank.
    Poor people with some common sense make their own yogurt - and bread, and beer, and ice cream, etc....

Idiots act like you.

******* whatever floats someone's boats********** False claims, included.
    What exactly floats your boat? Other than yelling at your "Mexican" neighbors?
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 3:10 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    Then it morphed into cost saving - when clueless you chimed in with blah blah blah.....

Poor people with some common sense make their own yogurt - and bread, and beer, and ice cream, etc....

No, poor people or even middle class don't. They have enough common sense to know what a loaf of bread costs. Mass produced is cheaper. So it is with lots of things, like cars.
    Take your cluelessness to Henry Ford.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, poor people or even middle class don't. They have enough common sense to know what a loaf of bread costs. Mass produced is cheaper. So it is with lots of things, like cars.
    Not for the home cook. I routinely calculate how much I've spent to make a meal and compare it to what I would have paid if I went out to eat it. It's far cheaper to eat at home.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

5. Likes Gingersnap, scott, Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    My cousin is poor, she makes ALL of her own food. She laughed at me when I said I could feed my family of 6 on $200 per week. She feeds her family of 8 on half that.

Mass produced is not always cheaper - assuming that cheaper to make means less expensive which is certainly not the case for pre-made food.

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    My cousin is poor, she makes ALL of her own food. She laughed at me when I said I could feed my family of 6 on $200 per week. She feeds her family of 8 on half that.

Mass produced is not always cheaper - assuming that cheaper to make means less expensive which is certainly not the case for pre-made food.
    I'm lucky enough and lazy enough to not pay attention to the costs of daily living. But sometimes I do like to look at the price if I'm making something and figure out the cost, compared to what I'd pay at a restaurant. I don't skimp on the food quality, so it's not that I'm using dog meat. Even with buying expensive meats and or vegetables I'm amazed at how cost effective it is to cook.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    We give out flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and masa at the food bank in this county that the churches supply and run. I have to believe that the recipients are baking with them.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard this cost argument before and I've been poor enough to eat cheap crap. The difference is that I did it temporarily as a student or a transient single person - not as a lifestyle.

If you are never home or have to buy food out of what you literally earned that day, then the day-old bread, no-name peanut butter, and ramen life makes sense. As does working in food service since you get one meal a day at least.

The minute you get a room, an outlet, and a bar fridge, then it doesn't. Most people have way more than that - sinks, counters, cabinets, an oven, a burner, etc.

A $10 buck thrift store slow cooker, a skillet, a knife, a pan that can go in the oven, and foil are big game changers. Yeah, you can get a burger for a buck but you can get soup for a week for a couple of bucks. You can buy a box of cereal for $3 bucks but you can get 18 eggs for less than that.

I remember reading all the experiences of journalists and politicians who whined bitterly about attempting to live off the standard SNAP benefit. Their first mistake was in thinking that SNAP is a food budget, it isn't, it's just a food supplement. Their second mistake was not thinking on any level like a frugal cook. It was hilarious to read.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

10. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    I'm lucky enough and lazy enough to not pay attention to the costs of daily living. But sometimes I do like to look at the price if I'm making something and figure out the cost, compared to what I'd pay at a restaurant. I don't skimp on the food quality, so it's not that I'm using dog meat. Even with buying expensive meats and or vegetables I'm amazed at how cost effective it is to cook.
    Poor people aren't eating at restaurants unless they are fast food. Even then, maybe. They have to have money for gas in the car to get there. Including money to put gas in the car to go get those things to cook from the grocery store.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    at how cost effective it is to cook.
    If there is a working stove or oven. Is someone is not too disabled.