Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Dorian intensifies as it heads toward US

Last Online
    Today @ 2:00 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

Hurricane Dorian intensifies as it heads toward US

Hurricane Dorian intensifies as it heads toward US

Looks like it's gonna land as a Cat 4 and take a slow walk across the peninsula.

Buckle up, Florida people. It's gonna be a rough ride. I would consider taking a road trip for a few days.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

2. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 2:00 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is so serious that Trump is sending Pence to Poland.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

4. Dislikes scott disliked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:15 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Here on the west side of the Florida peninsula I haven't seen any concern about the storm at all. Video shows crowds at grocery stores, but not here. The media is excited, and the politicians are more or less forced to recommend an "abundance of caution." So out-of-state people are alarmed. We got a text from friends in Buffalo NY, for example.

We'll see. Irma was a "Cat 5" when it made landfall about six inches from our mailbox a season or so ago. It was a dark and stormy night, for sure.
    “The interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasn’t originally a climate thing at all.... We really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.” —Saikat Chakrabarti, then AOC's Chief of Staff, explaining the Green New Deal for the hard of hearing.

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

6. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post

Here on the west side of the Florida peninsula I haven't seen any concern about the storm at all. Video shows crowds at grocery stores, but not here. The media is excited, and the politicians are more or less forced to recommend an "abundance of caution." So out-of-state people are alarmed. We got a text from friends in Buffalo NY, for example.

We'll see. Irma was a "Cat 5" when it made landfall about six inches from our mailbox a season or so ago. It was a dark and stormy night, for sure.
    You should throw a hurricane party.
    “Totalitarianism in power invariably replaces all first-rate talents, regardless of their sympathies, with those crackpots and fools whose lack of intelligence and creativity is still the best guarantee of their loyalty.”

~ Hannah Arendt

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    You should throw a hurricane party.

About ten years ago we had dinner with some people who had done precisely that during hurricane Andrew (or was it Charlie?).

Turns out that party night was terrifying, as the hurricane damn near tore their house apart.

So, no thanks. I'll keep my insouciance to myself.
    “The interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasn’t originally a climate thing at all.... We really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.” —Saikat Chakrabarti, then AOC's Chief of Staff, explaining the Green New Deal for the hard of hearing.

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post

About ten years ago we had dinner with some people who had done precisely that during hurricane Andrew (or was it Charlie?).

Turns out that party night was terrifying, as the hurricane damn near tore their house apart.

So, no thanks. I'll keep my insouciance to myself.
    Much like your thesaurus.
    “Totalitarianism in power invariably replaces all first-rate talents, regardless of their sympathies, with those crackpots and fools whose lack of intelligence and creativity is still the best guarantee of their loyalty.”

~ Hannah Arendt

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got off the phone with my niece and booked her a flight home for tomorrow.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

11. Likes Lanie, Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    Much like your thesaurus.
    Enjoy.

Free Rice

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 3:10 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Donnuthink they'll be handing out free rice in Florida. But on wonders why the run on bottes of water sold in stores when jugs can be filled from any house faucet.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    But on wonders why the run on bottes of water sold in stores when jugs can be filled from any house faucet.
    Or fill a bathtub, etc.

What I'm seeing this morning looks like the principal threat is flooding, if the storm slows down and rains for 40 days and 40 nights.

I'll be out and about later today (Friday), including playing at a bar tonight. I don't expect to see the west edge of Florida excited, but maybe that's just me.