Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Science Just Discovered Something Amazing About What Childhood Piano Lessons Did to You

Last Online
    Thursday, September 12th, 2019 @ 5:12 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would have loved to be capable of being able to draw. Or sing. Or play an instrument. I am(unfortunately) like millions of Americans simply a drone bee. It is what it is.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. Itís the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:11 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's great that Nova "played with both hands" as though this is some extraordinary thing on a piano. I can play with both hands on a banjo or a 12 string guitar and you can actually detect the song without prompting. Do I have any "natural" talent?

Heck, no. I have a good ear. Could I go head-to-head with somebody who has studied and practiced? Nope. Would my "talent" keep me interested and motivated in the banjo/guitar game? Well, it surely hasn't during all these years.

As far as I can determine I have zero musical talent aside from recognizing music (as opposed to the sound of a back loader) and being able to read it (you don't have to play to read). I can amuse others with piano or harp (and myself) but I'm not kidding myself here. Most people know so little about performance and theory that 'Jingle Bells' or a dumbed down 'Moonlight Sonata' sound pretty good.

Until you hear an actually talented person play them.

I have that opportunity a couple of times a month. It's like, "I can paint a really cool rag-rolled wall" versus "I painted Guernica". Yeah, okay then - try the lime crab dip. My dog can play 'dead'".

Music for me is something I enjoy and enjoy practicing a lot. The sheer effort of practicing or trying something new is intrinsically enjoyable. I'll never be really good but neither will I ever win the blue ribbon at the State Fair for pies (I have tried). Meh, so what? My worst pies are better than most people's best and my worst musical efforts (looking at you 'Syncopated Cowboy') are better than most.

You probably get the same benefits without any talent - but you do have to put in the time.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:11 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody is just casually picking this up. Musical geniuses/savants may do so but the odds of them being in your local public school and progressing through a band/jazz program are not good.

"Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."