Thread: Vancouver Rape Relief centre vandalized, likely over restrictions for transgender people

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:11 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Vancouver Rape Relief centre vandalized, likely over restrictions for transgender people

Vancouver Rape Relief centre vandalized, likely over restrictions for transgender people
    BY JONATHAN SZEKERES AND LAUREN BOOTHBY

Posted Aug 27, 2019 8:37 pm PDT Last Updated Aug 28, 2019 at 8:09 pm PDT

SUMMARY

Vancouver Rape Relief has been vandalized with violent messages

The vandalism is likely over the centre's decision to deny services to transgender women

Content warning: This story includes images with words that may be offensive or disturbing to some readers.

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) — A shelter offering support services for battered women and rape victims has been vandalized twice in about two weeks, and a policy that denies services to transgender women is likely the reason why.

Hilla Kerner with the Vancouver Rape Relief and Women’s Shelter says about two weeks ago, a dead rat was found nailed to the door. Tuesday morning, staff found threats and angry messages scrawled on windows.

Graffiti on the building’s windows include messages like “Kill TERFS” and “TERFS go home you are not welcome.” TERF is an acronym for “trans-exclusionary radical feminism.”

The centre has been criticized for excluding transgender women from its services, including peer-to-peer counselling and shelters.

Kerner says her organization is being targeted for that policy, saying those services are only for women who were born female.

“It’s a very controversial position in Vancouver and it’s totally okay for people to disagree and not to support our position, but to make those kinds of threats is appalling,” she says.

“Often our members will be targeted. People are expressing their disapproval of us, but we haven’t faced such unacceptable threats until now.”

The centre has filed a report with Vancouver police, and officers have suggested putting up cameras to deter vandalism.

Earlier this year, the City of Vancouver stripped the shelter of its funding because of policies that have been widely condemned by transgender advocates as discriminatory.
    Western Civilization has lost all common sense when it comes to transgender issues. While it's true that men can be raped (and at higher rates than one would think outside prisons) and men who identify as women are probably at a greater risk of rape than average men if they approach some heterosexual men, it's undeniable that the vast majority of all rapes involve girls and women.

Female rape counselors are specifically trained to deal with the emotional and cognitive issues of genetically female rape victims. Male rape victims, whether they wear dresses or not, have a whole constellation of issues around being rape victims that are specific to male biology and male body issues.

I have no problem with a man who has been raped preferring a female counselor to discuss the event and recovery but using a space dedicated to female rape crisis is just wrong.

No matter how "female" a guy believes himself to be, he's a genetic male and some women simply can't stand to be anywhere near a male after a rape. They can't tolerate the proximity of men initially and they don't need to "get over" that response instantly.

Of all people, you'd think men who consider themselves women would be sensitive to this issue. Nobody buys into stereotypical sex roles more than transgenders. Nobody. Women who have been raped or beaten or both by men don't need the added stress of encountering men in this particular setting (nor in shelters for abused women as is a point of controversy in Alaska).

City News
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

2. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:56 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boo boo boo. Mens just mad they can't get free tampons.
    To do what with, one wonders.

Last Online
    Friday, September 13th, 2019 @ 6:58 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry about the vandalism, but transgender people should be given a place to go.

I'll go further. Cisgender men should be given a place to go. Rape happens to all types of people.

Last Online
    Today @ 2:44 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Boo boo boo. Mens just mad they can't get free tampons.
    To do what with, one wonders.
    One psychotic moron in Vancouver is hardly a good basis for such a remark.
    I'm thinking that once, in 1953, a group of interesting people just happened to be in a coffee shop at the same time and a great discussion of issues, ideas, and the meaning of life occurred. Since then we have been waiting at Starbucks for Lawrence Ferlinghetti to say something heavy.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I'm sorry about the vandalism, but transgender people should be given a place to go.

I'll go further. Cisgender men should be given a place to go. Rape happens to all types of people.
    Rape does happen to men. And there should be help available. That doesn't mean it should be in the same place as help for women who have been raped.

If I go to the ER for a broken leg, I'll take the first qualified MD they have available, male or female. If I go to the ER after being raped, I don't want to see a man if he's the whole damned Holy Trinity and Albert Schweitzer rolled into one. I want a female doctor, a female nurse, a female medical assistant, and a female somebody to keep every damned human with a dick far away.

Maybe the rape crisis center in Vancouver needs a contingent of Second Amendment Sisters to do security.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:56 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ne wonders, will this be the start to closing of women's shelters, rape centers and the like?