Thread: What Are You Making Or Anticipating For Labor Day?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

What Are You Making Or Anticipating For Labor Day?

We're going 'up the hill' as it's termed here and it's Hinsdale county which is basically in space. Well, not space exactly but you need wool socks and a decent coat in August after sunset.

I'm bringing potato salad and IP ribs. They are smoking regular ribs but there are never enough.

What are your plans?
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the first time since 2012, what I'm doing on Labor Day is NOT WORKING!
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

3. Likes scott, Michele, phillygirl liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    For the first time since 2012, what I'm doing on Labor Day is NOT WORKING!
    Is there some food angle to that?

I can relate. At one point in my career I was 'on call' 24/7. I believe this experience is why I don't allow notifications on my laptop and why I don't have a cell phone.

Nothing like being jarred awake at 2:36 a.m. and told to travel 200 miles to check out "something", maybe with unstable explosives.

Upside: no traffic and delicious truck stop coffee.

So, are you making any Labor Day food?

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Is there some food angle to that?

I can relate. At one point in my career I was 'on call' 24/7. I believe this experience is why I don't allow notifications on my laptop and why I don't have a cell phone.

Nothing like being jarred awake at 2:36 a.m. and told to travel 200 miles to check out "something", maybe with unstable explosives.

Upside: no traffic and delicious truck stop coffee.

So, are you making any Labor Day food?
    Nah, I was answering the second part of the question. I'm anticipating (with great pleasure) not needing to go in and bill "a few more hours."

I'm sure we'll eat something. I've been into omelets lately.

We don't do a lot of food holidays. When I was representing unions, I'd go to the NorCal Carpenters' Labor Day picnic, but mostly just to hang out and listen to the bluegrass band. When we lived in Florida, we'd spend Labor Day at the Elks' Club pool, and some of the Elks would be grilling hot dogs and burgers. If we stayed through dinner time, we'd eat. We didn't go there to eat Labor Day food, and I don't think I've ever made anything especially for Labor Day.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I've ever envied guys is their ability to appear with a six-pack of beer, chips, and a glow-in-the-dark fake sword.

That's it. Applause.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I've ever envied guys is their ability to appear with a six-pack of beer, chips, and a glow-in-the-dark fake sword.

That's it. Applause.
    I could bring the 6-pack, the chips and our laser-tag set. Would that do it?

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    I could bring the 6-pack, the chips and our laser-tag set. Would that do it?
    I dunno. Those fake swords look pretty good in broad daylight.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not responsible for dessert today but if I was, this one is attractive, no mess, easy to transport, and probably a surprising hit:

FRESH WATERMELON POPSICLES
    INGREDIENTS - please use organic ingredients

Watermelon sliced into triangles
    EQUIPMENT

Wooden Popsicle Sticks
    Decorative Baking Dish
    Ice Cubes

DIRECTIONS slice ends of watermelon and discard. Slice watermelon into thick rounds. Cut each round into six triangles for medium-sized watermelon slices. Cut eight triangles for very large watermelon slices. Cut four triangles for small watermelon slices. Insert wooden popsicle sticks into the center of each rind. Fill decorative, shallow baking dish with ice cubes. Arrange fresh watermelon popsicles on top of ice. Serve immediately.
    I'm sure regular watermelons would be fine.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not responsible for dessert today but if I was, this one is attractive, no mess, easy to transport, and probably a surprising hit:

I'm sure regular watermelons would be fine.
    I actually love triangle watermelons. I think it would be harder than you think to put the popsicle sticks in the rinds. I'd skip that step.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    I actually love triangle watermelons. I think it would be harder than you think to put the popsicle sticks in the rinds. I'd skip that step.
    Just use a paring knife to make a 'starter' hole. Works with nails when driving screws.