Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dorian

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Heard a blurb on the radio news a couple of hours ago: Bahamian authorities are preparing people for the idea that the death toll will officially "skyrocket" as they officially give up hope on finding survivors. One official talked about multiple witnesses seeing "hundreds of people" swept out to sea in the midst of the hurricane, storm surge, etc.

I would love to think that the death toll was only 40 or 50, but the reality is that if a cat 5 sits on top of your island and spins, it's going to obliterate pretty much everything it touches during that time.
    Yeah. It was an awful bit of bad luck for them with the storm stalling there.

I kept thinking of Katrina and that was why even though my niece had a flight out on Saturday, I changed it to Friday (well, that and all her friends were leaving Friday and since she was only 2 weeks in to being in her new school I knew she was anxious at the idea of being "alone" down there for a full day before being able to leave). It was all somewhat unnecessary as it turns out, but I'll take that over possible bad outcomes of her getting stranded.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

2. Likes Lanie liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:01 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post

I still wonder what that was about. Did this chicken sandwich have marijuana in it something? lol.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:01 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post

If I recall a topographical map I saw earlier, it looks like everything less than about a dozen feet above sea level is gone or still submerged.

Well, I read something recently saying that the Bahamas is actually a huge country and not all the islands got devastated. It was suggested that if you were planning a vacation there, they can use your tourism money.

Last Online
    Monday, December 9th, 2019 @ 9:12 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Well, I read something recently saying that the Bahamas is actually a huge country and not all the islands got devastated. It was suggested that if you were planning a vacation there, they can use your tourism money.
    "Huge" probably isn't the ideal description: it's a collection of many, many islands, most of which are pretty tiny, but they are spread over a fairly large area.

Freeport/Grand Bahama Island has been probably the largest, in terms of people going there, tourist destination for quite a few decades now (during Prohibition, it was a common destination for "booze cruises" out of Miami). The Freeport airport (FPO) literally does not exist anymore.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.