Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No ‘Mixed’ or ‘Gay’ Couples, Mississippi Wedding Venue Owner Says on Video

Last Online
    Today @ 2:00 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

No ‘Mixed’ or ‘Gay’ Couples, Mississippi Wedding Venue Owner Says on Video

No ‘Mixed’ or ‘Gay’ Couples, Mississippi Wedding Venue Owner Says on Video

LaKambria Welch claims her brother and his fiancée had been in contact with the owner of Boone’s Camp Event Hall making wedding arrangements for about a week when, suddenly, the owner of the Booneville, Miss., business sent them a message: They would not be allowed to get married at the venue after all “because of (the venue’s) beliefs.”

When Welch learned that her brother, who is black, would not be allowed to rent Boone’s Camp to marry his fiancée, who is a white woman, she said she drove to the venue herself and asked why. There, she filmed what she says is an encounter with a woman who works for Boone’s Camp (video below).

‘Because of Our Christian Race—I Mean, Our Christian Belief’

“First of all, we don’t do gay weddings or mixed race, because of our Christian race—I mean, our Christian belief,” the woman tells Welch in the video.

“Okay, we’re Christians as well,” Welch replies.

“Yes ma’am,” the woman says.

“So, what in the Bible tells you that—?,” Welch beings to ask, before getting cut off by the apparent Boone’s camp employee.

“Well, I don’t want to argue my faith,” the woman says.

“No, that’s fine,” Welch replies.

“We just don’t participate,” the woman says.

“Okay,” Welch responds.

“We just choose not to,” the woman continues.

“Okay. So that’s your Christian belief, right?,” Welch asks.

“Yes ma’am.”

Welch says she believes the venue found out her brother and his fiancée, whose names she has not provided to DSV, through Facebook.

“The owner took a look at my brother’s fiancée’s page and wrote her back to say they won’t be able to get married there because of her beliefs,” Welch told DSV. “He told my mom and she contacted the owner through messenger to only get a ‘seen’ with no reply. That’s when I took it upon myself to go get clarification on her beliefs.”
    So, there's your free exercise of religion by business.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    That business' point of view seems out of compliance with the law.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

3. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    That business' point of view seems out of compliance with the law.
    How so? Is there a test for the validity of their religious belief? Is the objection that the bible doesn't support their belief?

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    How so? Is there a test for the validity of their religious belief? Is the objection that the bible doesn't support their belief?
    Section 2 of HB 1523 defines those beliefs as: “The sincerely held religious beliefs or moral convictions protected by this act are the belief or conviction that: (a) Marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman; (b) Sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage; and (c) Male (man) or female (woman) refer to an individual’s immutable biological sex as objectively determined by anatomy and genetics at time of birth.
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I didn't realize that the freedom of religious expression law was so specific to anti-gay and anti-trans religiosity.

-H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I didn't realize that the freedom of religious expression law was so specific to anti-gay and anti-trans religiosity.
    That's sarcasm, right?
    “Totalitarianism in power invariably replaces all first-rate talents, regardless of their sympathies, with those crackpots and fools whose lack of intelligence and creativity is still the best guarantee of their loyalty.”

~ Hannah Arendt

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:15 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, there's your free exercise of religion by business.
    Almost.

I accidentally clicked on the WaPost report. It includes the social media reaction to the incident, which Deep Voice South does not, though in fairness, if DVS was the first report, there may not have been a reaction yet to report.

A Mississippi wedding venue rejected an interracial couple, citing ‘Christian belief.’ Facing a backlash, the owner apologized.
    By early Tuesday, the clip had amassed more than 2 million views across Twitter and YouTube, with critics slamming the business’s owners as “hateful racists” and calling for the venue to be shuttered. Following the backlash, Boone’s Camp Event Hall took down its Facebook page and its owner penned a lengthy apology, which, in part, chronicled her realization that “biracial relationships were NEVER mentioned in The Bible!” The video was first reported on by the website Deep South Voice.
    “To all of those offended, hurt or felt condemn by my statement I truly apologize to you for my ignorance in not knowing the truth about this,” the now-deleted apology read. “My intent was never of racism, but to stand firm on what I ‘assumed’ was right concerning marriage.”

Boone’s Camp Event Hall could not be reached for comment late Monday.
    On social media, the woman in Welch’s video sparked intense criticism, even prompting a response from the City of Booneville.

“The City of Booneville, Mayor, and Board of Aldermen do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status,” officials said in a statement posted to Facebook on Monday. “Furthermore, the City of Booneville, Mayor, and Board of Aldermen do not condone or approve these types of discriminatory policies.”
    Several people linked the incident to Mississippi’s religious objection law, arguing that although there is no race provision, it lays the groundwork for people to assert that beliefs alone are enough to validate racial discrimination.

It was only a matter of time before ‘religious protections’ would justify racial discrimination,” one person tweeted. “First, they came for the gays …”
    I disagree with that. Our society is clearly moving the other way.

In her apology, the event hall’s owner attempted to explain why she believed the Bible supported her views on interracial marriages, describing how she only recently discovered that wasn’t the case. She began by writing that as “a child growing up in Mississippi” it was an unspoken understanding that people stayed “with your own race.” But then on Saturday, when her husband asked her to point to relevant sections of the Bible, she couldn’t. After spending hours scouring the text and sitting down with her pastor, the owner wrote that she finally concluded that the reasoning behind her decision to turn away Welch’s brother and his fiancee was “incorrect.”

“As my bible reads, there are 2 requirements for marriage and race has nothing to do with either!” the Facebook post read. “All of my years I had ‘assumed’ in my mind that I was correct, but have never taken the opportunity to research and find whether this was correct or incorrect until now.”

She later added: “If I have learned anything from this it would be to know what you’re talking about before you open your mouth! Again … my sincerest apologies to all!"

At least one person said the woman’s “heartfelt apology” warranted forgiveness, but others, including Welch, remained unswayed.

“I am 24 and have been brought up my entire life in a Christian Family; my grandad being a reverend,” Welch wrote in the email to The Post. “If I know that the Bible doesn’t say anything about biracial marriages, she knows too.”
    Everybody gets a chance to pounce and be against racism, of course. If you take away hurricane Dorian and the Conception boat tragedy, Labor Day was a slow news day.

This sort of incident is rare and on the wane. To my way of thinking, the place should be allowed to serve as tiny a slice of the available customer base as they want (if the services are reasonably available elsewhere). Discriminate against people with tattoos if they want. I happen to think there's not enough of the remaining base to support the business, and most consumers would not support a business run that way. This business may not survive; we'll see.

The WaPost, being the WaPost, included this irrelevant piece of flotsam:
    [A] recent study found that while people said they accepted interracial relationships, the part of their brain that registers disgust was highly active when they were shown photos of the couples.
    Good grief. How are those thought police doing? Y'know, yours truly is going to register disgust in that part of my brain at the sight of certain tattoos, heavy piercings, and also at garish, inappropriate habiliment. I don't plan to share my opinion with the offender, though, or refuse service. Your thought police can bugger off.

This foolishness was offensive and the apology was appropriate. The "Here's how offended I am!" reaction (on my Facebook page, too, where I first saw it) is ridiculous.

Moving on to funny animal videos....
    “The interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasn’t originally a climate thing at all.... We really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.” —Saikat Chakrabarti, then AOC's Chief of Staff, explaining the Green New Deal for the hard of hearing.

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    That's sarcasm, right?
    No, I'm genuinely surprised. I believe that is the purpose and intent of all such so-called "religious freedom restoration acts", but I didn't expect it to be so explicit in the text. I think most states were a bit more circumspect in their wording.

-H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boy Scouts of America et al. v. Dale partially rested on there being no test for sincerity of beliefs or compliance with a denomination's definitions.
    I'm thinking that once, in 1953, a group of interesting people just happened to be in a coffee shop at the same time and a great discussion of issues, ideas, and the meaning of life occurred. Since then we have been waiting at Starbucks for Lawrence Ferlinghetti to say something heavy.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's odd, since the information was contained in the article you linked. I guess the headline was enough for you.
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

12. Likes Michele liked this post