Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Felicity Huffman Sentenced To 14 Days In Prison For College Admissions Scandal

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Any different from an alumni kid automatic entry?
    It is very rare for an "alumni kid" getting automatic entry.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    But her kid took a place from somebody more qualified who now has to do their second or fallback school.

It's true that some would cheat for their kids but how does make it better for those who don't? It doesn't.

County jail is different from real prison (which she won't probably see). I don't care that many would do the same. I deal with those parents 9 months a year.

You're kid is moron who can't be bothered to turn in the ludicrous make-work stuff assigned. Throwing me $500 to "make it happen" won't make your kid get more than dog-level on SATs or anything else.
    I don't think you "know" that she took the place of a more qualified kid. Qualified is such a nebulous idea for these schools. My niece got a 34 on her ACT (out of 36), scoring 35 or 36 in all of the science portions, which is the area she was applying for. She had a 4.5 GPA. She played a varsity sport all 4 years. She had all the "service" that would be deemed necessary. She didn't get in for early admission on her top 3 schools. Her essay was "fine" but she doesn't have a "story". Her father wasn't in jail. She didn't immigrate here. She hasn't had to overcome being blind or a child of addicted parents. She's an overachiever, a hard worker, and naturally very bright. If the school is looking for someone who academically is going to succeed, she's a really great bet. If they are looking for an awesome "story" kid, she's not it. I'm sure there were less "qualified" kids that took "her" spot because of their stories. That's just how the cookie crumbles. I'm also sure she took the spot of some male kids who had the exact same scholastic achievements that she did, but since she is a girl going in to STEM, she got some bonus points.

I don't agree with what Felicity Huffman did, but expecting her to do hard time for it is a bit ridiculous. We can't find the space to put someone who has multiple dui's under their belt for the kind of time they deserve. I see no reason to utilize jail resources for someone that paid 15k for an advantage to send their kid to a pricey school. She's been humiliated. Her daughter has been humiliated. It's been a life and game changer for them. They'll get through it just fine and they've learned their lesson. If you believe in the analogy you set forth, she's not the kingpin of it. The guy that is paying off the SAT center and the schools themselves are the "employers" in this instance. She's just an illegal trying to make a buck.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Saturday, December 7th, 2019 @ 11:52 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    I don't think you "know" that she took the place of a more qualified kid. Qualified is such a nebulous idea for these schools. My niece got a 34 on her ACT (out of 36), scoring 35 or 36 in all of the science portions, which is the area she was applying for. She had a 4.5 GPA. She played a varsity sport all 4 years. She had all the "service" that would be deemed necessary. She didn't get in for early admission on her top 3 schools. Her essay was "fine" but she doesn't have a "story". Her father wasn't in jail. She didn't immigrate here. She hasn't had to overcome being blind or a child of addicted parents. She's an overachiever, a hard worker, and naturally very bright. If the school is looking for someone who academically is going to succeed, she's a really great bet. If they are looking for an awesome "story" kid, she's not it. I'm sure there were less "qualified" kids that took "her" spot because of their stories. That's just how the cookie crumbles. I'm also sure she took the spot of some male kids who had the exact same scholastic achievements that she did, but since she is a girl going in to STEM, she got some bonus points.

I don't agree with what Felicity Huffman did, but expecting her to do hard time for it is a bit ridiculous. We can't find the space to put someone who has multiple dui's under their belt for the kind of time they deserve. I see no reason to utilize jail resources for someone that paid 15k for an advantage to send their kid to a pricey school. She's been humiliated. Her daughter has been humiliated. It's been a life and game changer for them. They'll get through it just fine and they've learned their lesson. If you believe in the analogy you set forth, she's not the kingpin of it. The guy that is paying off the SAT center and the schools themselves are the "employers" in this instance. She's just an illegal trying to make a buck.
    You are correct that the current admissions criteria doesn't necessarily mean that a higher achieving kid gets the nod while a kid one point lower is turned aside.

In a fair world or one 20 years ago, that's usually what it would mean and some schools still use that measure.

As a tutor, I hate admissions essays and refuse to assist with them. I refer students who ask to people who actually do this professionally. It's a complete scam. For those inclined this way, it's far better to spend $300 bucks with a professional who regularly deals with this gate-keeping than to wing it on your own unless you genuinely are a homeless chemo patient raising two biracial siblings while volunteering in Honduras to build outhouses or wells.

The entire thing is maddening and grossly unfair. Your life experience being a heroin addict or having a cannibal Uncle doesn't mean that you can pass college level Algebra without remedial courses or constant tutoring.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are correct that the current admissions criteria doesn't necessarily mean that a higher achieving kid gets the nod while a kid one point lower is turned aside.

In a fair world or one 20 years ago, that's usually what it would mean
    and some schools still use that measure.

As a tutor, I hate admissions essays and refuse to assist with them. I refer students who ask to people who actually do this professionally. It's a complete scam. For those inclined this way, it's far better to spend $300 bucks with a professional who regularly deals with this gate-keeping than to wing it on your own unless you genuinely are a homeless chemo patient raising two biracial siblings while volunteering in Honduras to build outhouses or wells.

The entire thing is maddening and grossly unfair. Your life experience being a heroin addict or having a cannibal Uncle doesn't mean that you can pass college level Algebra without remedial courses or constant tutoring.
    20 years ago? No way. That wasn't true even 40 years ago. It wasn't as weird as it is now, but it wasn't pure merit/achievement, by a long chalk.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

5. Likes Adam, phillygirl, Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 7:08 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

In a fair world or one 20 years ago, that's usually what it would mean and some schools still use that measure.
    It is worse these days because of the "diversity" rules which must be followed.