Thread: Sigh...

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:22 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

Sigh...

Family tavern was demolished today.

https://www.stevenspointjournal.com/...ub/2362418001/

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. Itís the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

2. Dislikes Newman, scott disliked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:50 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post

https://www.stevenspointjournal.com/...ub/2362418001/

Mark

I did the demo/reno of one set of grandparents' house. A house I knew like the back of my hand. The reno turned out great and I sold at the top of the market but man...seeing the finished result just broke my heart.

It was beautiful and much more user friendly but it was like my brothers, my cousins, and I had somehow been erased. That wasn't true but it felt like that. That bedroom, that part of the porch, that creepy peach tree, that particular section of fence, that awful stove - all were infested with deep memories.

The back "yard" had quite a slope so I had it filled a bit and graded to make it gentler if the home buyers were really into suburb grass (we had just short-cut prairie grass). Sprink system (I do not have this) and sod - looked fantastic!

Then I kind of cried a bit.

I remembered when we all put up Korean-era army surplus tents all summer, ate burgers and hot dogs off the massive brick/rock BBQ grill my grandfather built, and when my one cousin and I decided to use Sun-In for like 4 hours in the summer while listening to top 40 on her very cute radio.

Sadly, she was the sole brunette in our family. My hair got a bit stiff but I had great highlights. Her hair, not so much. On the other hand, she got a tan and I burned.

So many memories. When I am rarely in that area, I refuse to take a look. Other properties I've flipped, no problem (even if I lived there) but that one.......just no.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

4. Likes 80zephyr, scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

I did the demo/reno of one set of grandparents' house. A house I knew like the back of my hand. The reno turned out great and I sold at the top of the market but man...seeing the finished result just broke my heart.

It was beautiful and much more user friendly but it was like my brothers, my cousins, and I had somehow been erased. That wasn't true but it felt like that. That bedroom, that part of the porch, that creepy peach tree, that particular section of fence, that awful stove - all were infested with deep memories.

The back "yard" had quite a slope so I had it filled a bit and graded to make it gentler if the home buyers were really into suburb grass (we had just short-cut prairie grass). Sprink system (I do not have this) and sod - looked fantastic!

Then I kind of cried a bit.

I remembered when we all put up Korean-era army surplus tents all summer, ate burgers and hot dogs off the massive brick/rock BBQ grill my grandfather built, and when my one cousin and I decided to use Sun-In for like 4 hours in the summer while listening to top 40 on her very cute radio.

Sadly, she was the sole brunette in our family. My hair got a bit stiff but I had great highlights. Her hair, not so much. On the other hand, she got a tan and I burned.

So many memories. When I am rarely in that area, I refuse to take a look. Other properties I've flipped, no problem (even if I lived there) but that one.......just no.
    Yeah, its the memories for sure. I remember my first Christmas's there. The faded yellowish plastic star at the top of our tree...

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. Itís the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

6. Likes Gingersnap liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, Mark.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

8. Thanks 80zephyr thanked for this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:50 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I sold one house we had lived in for some time, my Boss said, "Never drive by it".

We were both avid gardeners.

Holy cow, he was right. It's heartbreaking to see giant weeds and dead perennials and overgrown trees when you worked so hard to make it both backyard and curb-worthy just for the sheer pleasure of living in a beautiful setting.

I will never do that again.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    So sorry Mark. We have to say goodbye to many friends as we age and sometimes those old friends are places with memories.

The house I grew up in, that my Father and Grandfather, a bricklayer, built in 1949 was demolished in 1990 to make way for a parking lot. My Sister, still living in the area, ran over and stopped the dozer long enough to get each of us a brick. If you look at the brick there's a crack in it. That occurred last year when it fell off the mantle during our 7.1 Earthquake and hit a tile floor. It's still intact though.

If it pays, it stays

11. Thanks 80zephyr thanked for this post
    Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 2:34 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post

Mark
    Sorry to hear. But at least memories remain.

13. Thanks 80zephyr thanked for this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, Mark. What great memories you must have. Was that your mom and dad in the historical photos?
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

15. Thanks 80zephyr thanked for this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Sorry, Mark. What great memories you must have. Was that your mom and dad in the historical photos?
    Yep. In that one, mom was well into her 50's. She looked damn good, I think.

Mark

17. Likes Michele, Gingersnap liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn. The article made the front page of our local paper.

Mark