Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gary Larson hints The Far Side is returning, 25 years after he shut down the iconic comic

Last Online
    Friday, October 11th, 2019 @ 9:51 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    This is the kind of humor where you just hate yourself for reading it AND you can't stop laughing.

It's like putting scotch tape on a cat's paw. It's wrong. We will burn in Hell for doing it. And yet..........
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Today @ 4:19 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This is the kind of humor where you just hate yourself for reading it AND you can't stop laughing.

It's like putting scotch tape on a cat's paw. It's wrong. We will burn in Hell for doing it. And yet..........
    That reminds me of old Charles Addams cartoons.

“The interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasn’t originally a climate thing at all.... We really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.” —Saikat Chakrabarti, then AOC's Chief of Staff, explaining the Green New Deal for the hard of hearing.

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if he still lives on Orcas Is but he used to. We ran into him a couple of times and he seemed like a pleasant fellow. I know his home was burglarized once but I think it might have been just kids. Most people thought he retired to early. Hopefully, his humor will be non-threatening to the times we live in.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was kind of a blow when several of these comic writers retired at mostly the same time but I understood the whole thing.

It's extremely difficult to do essentially the same thing but in new and exciting ways every day. I feel that way about cooking sometimes. I have the skills, ingredients, tools, and all that but some times there is zero inspiration. Animal cookies and ramen sounds good enough for me and I'm sure that's true for comic strip writers.

"Meh. I'll draw a stapler on a cat and work in whatever Google Trends topics seem hot today (or remember what the joke was I heard last week) and it will be fine. Who's up for KFC?"

Some strips just die of inertia. Some are too out-of-step with the times. Some cover identical material endlessly.

It has to be hard amusing people visually every day.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    That reminds me of old Charles Addams cartoons.

I like both Addams and Gahan Wilson. With some of them you really need to think/look and so they are more delicious. This isn't an example of that but I like it.

6. Likes scott liked this post