Thread: Millennials make Amtrak nix overly cozy dining cars on Penn Station trains

Last Online
    Friday, October 11th, 2019 @ 9:51 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Millennials make Amtrak nix overly cozy dining cars on Penn Station trains

Millennials make Amtrak nix overly cozy dining cars on Penn Station trains
    By Jackie Salo September 22, 2019 | 8:32pm | Updated

Amtrak’s traditional dining cars are screeching to a halt on some routes through Penn Station — and millennials are partly to blame.

Starting Oct. 1, the financially strapped rail carrier will eliminate freshly made hot meals on three routes as it does away with the trains’ kitchens and revamps their classic table-sharing dining cars to cut costs — and because young people want more personal space, Amtrak officials say.

“Some people, especially our new millennial customers, don’t like it so much,” said Peter Wilander, Amtrak’s head of customer experience, to the Washington Post of the dining cars’ current cozy layout.

“They want more privacy. They don’t want to feel uncomfortable sitting next to people.”

Among the routes trading their on-board kitchens and white-linen tablecloths for a more “contemporary” experience will be the Cardinal (New York-Chicago), Crescent (New York-New Orleans) and Silver Meteor (New York-Miami).

The change will also impact the Silver Star, another New York-to-Miami service, starting next year, officials said.

Meanwhile, sleeping-car customers will receive a “flexible dining service” where pre-made options can be delivered to their room.

Instead of a juicy steak dinner or savory French toast, they will now choose from pre-packaged meals such as an Asian noodle bowl, chicken fettuccine or a buffet-style breakfast with hard-boiled eggs and muffins.

“We continue to evolve our onboard accommodations and dining experience to meet the needs of today’s customers,” Amtrak CEO Richard Anderson said in a statement.

The changes are expected to save about $2 million a year, officials said.
    Aside from the ski train, I've only been on a train a few times and I really enjoyed it. I'm usually buried in a book or staring out the windows but I liked people starting up conversations. Sitting with strangers and eating was kind of fun.

Did you know some black women belong to sort of Masonic organizations? I didn't but that's how I found out. Did you know that you can theoretically break up a dog fight with your finger? Me either. (That one may be dubious.)

In most environments you are surrounded by people who share some interest or similar background. Not so when you got seated across from some random person. Wasn't there a Hitchcock film about this?

NY Post
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:43 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    One wonders how many of these "millennials" actually ride these trains as opposed to jet jetting? And how man would be gong from the New York excrement to Miami...………..

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Aside from the ski train, I've only been on a train a few times and I really enjoyed it. I'm usually buried in a book or staring out the windows but I liked people starting up conversations. Sitting with strangers and eating was kind of fun.

Did you know some black women belong to sort of Masonic organizations? I didn't but that's how I found out. Did you know that you can theoretically break up a dog fight with your finger? Me either. (That one may be dubious.)

In most environments you are surrounded by people who share some interest or similar background. Not so when you got seated across from some random person. Wasn't there a Hitchcock film about this?

NY Post
    The Amtrak ride from GJ to Den is one of the most beautiful ever especially if you can spend some time in the dome car. I'm taking my last grandchild on her first train ride in a few weeks because her school is on their Fall Break. One of the special things we do is to eat one meal in the dining car just for the experience. We (one grandchild and myself) have shared a four-placed table with others and it has always been a fun experience. Everyone always wants to talk to the child. One older lady from Chicago latched on to our 11-year-old grandson and taught him a bunch of travel and card games she had brought along. I still have contact with her.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

4. Likes Gingersnap liked this post
    Last Online
    Friday, October 11th, 2019 @ 9:51 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Despite being in my own world most of the time, I've never disliked chatting for a bit with strangers. It just takes a few minutes, brightens their day, and you can learn interesting (or alarming) things. Whatever it is, it isn't boring.

"Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."