Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Quest for Lunchbox Supremacy

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:47 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Being single now, I do try to do my "lunchbox" the night before, and I have pretty good success at it because it's hard to cook for single, but it's pretty easy to leave leftovers to have for lunch the next day. So I leave a smaller chicken breast/tenderloin and a few generous spoonfuls of rice or whatever now and it works well for me.

Wouldn't have worked worth a damn when I was a kid, but it works well now. As a kid, I would have totally turned up my nose at probably 70% of the leftovers for lunch, mostly because there was no good way to heat/chill them appropriately in my day. I don't care if it was a million-dollar Thermos personally created and manufactured by NASA engineers: my milk was 80°F by lunch when I was at school. Same goes for soup or whatever was supposed to stay hot. Just didn't work worth a crap.

Sandwich of some sort, a few chips (sometimes stuff like dried fruit), some piece of fruit (apple, orange, whatever), which was usually consumed during our "break" around 10:00 AM, and then I bought cold milk/chocolate milk/fruit punch/whatever with the 45¢ or whatever that my mother stuck in the bag for that for lunch.

Worked just fine for me and many thousands of other kids. We're over-thinking this whole thing.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Today @ 5:44 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who are these people who put this amount of effort into a kid lunch?

I think the Japanese women who make those delightful bento boxes are insane and I read their blogs avidly because I get ideas for appetizers from them.

My lunch as a kid was a cheese or salami sandwich, chips/Wheat Thins/Ritz crackers, an apple or an orange, a couple of cookies (homemade always), and milk. We could get the school lunch on "Pizza Day". I still have fond memories of school pizza even though it bore no relation to actual pizza. In high school, like most girls I knew, I didn't eat lunch.

As an adult my brown bag lunches were always whatever we had leftover from dinner the night before. If it was good then, it's fine for today.

I do try to make and serve creative food at home and care about presentation but in a sack lunch? I'm just not that up for it.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

I think the Japanese women who make those delightful bento boxes are insane and I read their blogs avidly because I get ideas for appetizers from them.

My lunch as a kid was a cheese or salami sandwich, chips/Wheat Thins/Ritz crackers, an apple or an orange, a couple of cookies (homemade always), and milk. We could get the school lunch on "Pizza Day". I still have fond memories of school pizza even though it bore no relation to actual pizza. In high school, like most girls I knew, I didn't eat lunch.

As an adult my brown bag lunches were always whatever we had leftover from dinner the night before. If it was good then, it's fine for today.

I do try to make and serve creative food at home and care about presentation but in a sack lunch? I'm just not that up for it.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

4. Likes phillygirl liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I just knew it!!
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

6. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even if somebody in my family had thought of this (unlikely), there were just too many people needing to be fed to make it happen. The kids needed a lunch, the men needed a lunch, the hired help needed lunch, etc.

Cooking started at 6:00 a.m. and went until 5:00 p.m. Looking back on it, we were pretty lucky to get out of there with a cheese sandwich.

8. Likes scott, Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    I just knew it!!
    It's fun and no skin off my nose. Plus, I was able to teach her about different foods. I don't make it a big deal (no carvings or artwork...okay, I've done ants-on-a-log with chocolate chips). But the variety of things I would put in her lunch made her happy and that was my goal...kind of when I taught her to address me as "Grandma, goddess of my world" until my son put a stop to that.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

10. Likes phillygirl liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even if somebody in my family had thought of this (unlikely), there were just too many people needing to be fed to make it happen. The kids needed a lunch, the men needed a lunch, the hired help needed lunch, etc.

Cooking started at 6:00 a.m. and went until 5:00 p.m. Looking back on it, we were pretty lucky to get out of there with a cheese sandwich.
    Oh, no kidding. We had eight kids. Lunches were made in an assembly line. I was fortunate to have just one little one to make lunch for.

12. Likes Celeste Chalfonte liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do like those obsessed bento box Moms, though. Everything is so.....cute! It was from them that I learned you can buy fake grass for bento. And so much more.

The specialized tools are just awesome for canapes.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get the competition for designer lunch, but I put a lot of effort into other things that went into the lunchbox, because it wasn't about lunch or competition, it was about HRH having a little bit of home at school, since most years she wasn't 100% in favor of the whole school thing.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

15. Likes phillygirl, Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Grandparents don't count. You have time to spoil the kids.

Parents can pick one of two directions:

Raise your kids and spoil the grandkids

or

Spoil your kids and raise the grandkids
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

17. Likes Michele liked this post