Thread: Washing Machines May Sometimes Harbor Drug-Resistant Bacteria, Report Says

Last Online
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

Washing Machines May Sometimes Harbor Drug-Resistant Bacteria, Report Says

Washing Machines May Sometimes Harbor Drug-Resistant Bacteria, Report Says
    But experts say the average person doesn't need to worry about germs in their washing machines.

Washing machines have one job — to clean — but that doesn't mean they're germ-free. Indeed, a new study suggests they can sometimes harbor drug-resistant bacteria that could pose risks to susceptible people.

The study researchers describe a unique case in which a washing machine was linked to the spread of drug-resistant bacteria to newborns at a German hospital. It appears to be the first reported case of a hospital's washing machine spreading harmful pathogens to patients, the authors said.

The case is "highly unusual" for a hospital because it involved a household type of washing machine, rather than the industrial machines that are typically used in health care settings, said study lead author Dr. Ricarda Schmithausen, a senior physician at the Institute for Hygiene and Public Health at University Hospital Bonn in Germany.
    https://www.livescience.com/washing-...-bacteria.html

I'm not a germaphobe but I think I'll do a cycle with some antimicrobial liquid every month or so just in case.
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    https://www.livescience.com/washing-...-bacteria.html

I'm not a germaphobe but I think I'll do a cycle with some antimicrobial liquid every month or so just in case.
    HRH usually does the laundry, but Clorox is my personal savior.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Today @ 9:54 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hot water will work just fine. If you have to be paranoid, put some vinegar in it.

4. Likes Tom Servo liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 1:40 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    The washer I have now has its own cleaning cycle mode and it'll alert when it's time to run a cycle. No idea what it does since it doesn't use detergent or anything else. Just hot water, I suppose.
    “Your boos mean nothing, I see what makes you cheer! … Every breath I take without your permission increases my self-esteem!” - Rick Sanchez

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:47 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Hot water will work just fine. If you have to be paranoid, put some vinegar in it.
    Local guy on the news here said pretty much the same thing.

It seems to be a thing for the local TV stations around here: when there is some sort of national medial news story, they stampede to Vanderbilt, where there is no shortage of people with at least some tangential relationship to medicine who will bloviate on the story for a 30-second soundbyte: ebola, swine flu, etc.

This was some sort of infectious disease guy who said that if you're worried about something like this, just run a small load on hot and you should be fine. The difference here with the hospital in Germany is that your home washer winds up with a little bit of water left in it at the end of the cycle because the pump can't get out every drop, whereas commercial machines just have a valve that opens in the bottom to drain everything out. Regardless, this really isn't much of a worry because your average, ordinary American isn't at home loading MRSA-soaked bed linens into their Kenmore and throwing in a Tide pod. It's just not a real risk in the real world.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.