Thread: OK, so we're back

Last Online
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, so we're back

This latest interruption was some silly issue with another case of someone bitching about a copyright issue. It was exceptionally stupid because the issue was over some issue involving a YouTube video that had already been pulled.

Here's how this process works, if anyone cares. X person who is aggrieved has their lawyer send a nasty-gram to the host (site5, in this case) that says, essentially, "you are in violation of our XYZ copyright and you have 24 hours from the date of this letter to take it down." These are sent electronically, so it's specific to 3:48 PM on Thursday, not just generally October 4. Site5 then sends me an email to an account I almost never use these days saying that they will shut down the account in Z hours if I don't comply with the letter they received Y hours ago, meaning that usually I have only something like 12 hours to respond, at best. In this particular case, I was driving my father up to The Middle of Damned Nowhere, Virginia, to a funeral. It's somewhere 100 miles outside of Richmond and there was no good way to fly there. Dad's 83 and has a hard time driving long distances and/or when the light is often shifting due to his macular degeneration. So, I took off driving him up there at approximately the same time that the feces were striking the impeller on this whole little imbroglio occurred. No internet service at the one and only dumpy little motel where we were, so I didn't now something was wrong until I drove back into 4G service and started getting notifications. I probably got a notification on my phone about the email, but I was far too focused upon making sure Dad was comfortable to have noticed it at the time. Overall, just shitty timing all around.

No, no one here was "at fault" for this or is being blamed or anything like that. Whoever posted the video (and I frankly do not remember who; it was in a thread FULL of different posts) did so very obviously without any mal-intent and was just going along with the thread. No one is to blame for this beyond me, so there are no recriminations. No sane person could have foreseen this instance. It happened, they're stupid, I've "corrected" what they believer to have been "wrong," and I have written a very, VERY nasty letter to the people who initiated this, for whatever it's worth (which is probably less than used toilet paper coming from some guy running a message board for a dozen or so friends). I can't exactly sue them for damages (what money? You run a free message board without advertising.) or damage to reputation (a dozen people? Come on.), and I think that I probably wouldn't get far suing for pain and suffering. So, basically, I called them all sons-of-bitches who needed to go fuck themselves with chainsaws and left it at that. I did send it certified, so they'll have to sign for my nastiness on Tuesday morning.

Now, that having been said, I think that we do need to be a bit more careful about cutting/pasting articles and the like here. I have generally been pretty lax about this kind of stuff but this latest instance shows that some random without any real interest in the real world can manage to make our lives miserable with just a letterhead from a law firm (essentially what happened last time, too). I haven't tangled with the likes of whatever gigantic law firm represents the Associated Press or UPI or whatever, but I'm pretty darn sure that I don't want to, either, after a couple of these instances. That's going from an obnoxious annoyance to I don't own anything anymore and live under a bridge for the rest of my life. I love you guys, but I'm just not willing to put quite that much on the line here.

So, I politely ask that you please be careful about posting articles and the like without links and also please trim down articles to only the points that you immediately intend to discuss. Surely you can narrow down what you want to talk about into less than eighteen paragraphs out of the latest NYT piece or whatever.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

2. Thanks Michele, Tom Servo, Newman thanked for this post
    Likes phillygirl, scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 4:26 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious... was this about the Nickelback video Trump tweeted and they took down?

Or was it about cut & pasting full texts of articles?

Or sumpin else?
    “The interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasn’t originally a climate thing at all.... We really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.” —Saikat Chakrabarti, then AOC's Chief of Staff.

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous about extremists is not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say about their cause, but what they say about their opponents.” ―Robert F. Kennedy.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 7:39 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    No beeebooops. Just nice to be back at fun and games.

Last Online
    Tuesday, November 12th, 2019 @ 10:00 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    It figures this happens after my first time posting a "two plus posts worth" of copy and pasted content from a news article, instead of my usual three paragraphs (which is something ingrained from the NU days when Melissa was adamant about fair use, and banned all AP content).

As far as being upset that embedded content is linked here, they can go piss up a rope. Whatever happened to safe harbor protections for websites? That stated that sites weren't liable for infringement just by linking to "bad" content.
    You can't spell "hatred" without "red hat".

Last Online
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    I'm curious... was this about the Nickelback video Trump tweeted and they took down?

Or was it about cut & pasting full texts of articles?

Or sumpin else?
    None of the above. This was some YouTube video that was posted about a year and a half ago. Since it had already been taken down by YouTube, I don't know what it was exactly, but in the context of the thread, it looked like it might have been one of those instructional videos, rather than something like a movie clip or music video or something like that.

It doesn't really matter what it was because:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    It figures this happens after my first time posting a "two plus posts worth" of copy and pasted content from a news article, instead of my usual three paragraphs (which is something ingrained from the NU days when Melissa was adamant about fair use, and banned all AP content).

As far as being upset that embedded content is linked here, they can go piss up a rope. Whatever happened to safe harbor protections for websites? That stated that sites weren't liable for infringement just by linking to "bad" content.
    The short version is that the ISP has me by the short-and-curlies. They're not going to stick their neck out for little old me at the risk of incurring even a nickel's worth of legal bills trying to defend against that, even if we're entirely in the right. If I want those "safe harbor" protections, essentially I have to self-host in order to have a legal leg to stand on. The provider just doesn't have the want or need of that headache. And I love you guys, but I'm not going to go through the trouble of buying servers and buying up bandwidth from Comcast or AT&T or whoever in order to go through all of that.

Bottom line here is that we just need to try to be a little more careful about what we post. The random whiner who gets a letter sent to the host on the letterhead of Arnold T. Pants, Esq. is simply unavoidable, and the worst case scenario there is that we have to comply with a cease-and-desist. But if some big-ass conglomerate comes along and sues the shit out of me personally, then I'm totally hosed. That's not "NEIP is down for a day or two;" that's "Adam sleeps in a refrigerator box under an overpass."
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

7. Thanks Tom Servo, Michele thanked for this post