Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A California City Tested Universal Basic Income.

Last Online
    Today @ 5:28 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    No one asks his dad for drug money.
    I'm thinking that once, in 1953, a group of interesting people just happened to be in a coffee shop at the same time and a great discussion of issues, ideas, and the meaning of life occurred. Since then we have been waiting at Starbucks for Lawrence Ferlinghetti to say something heavy.

2. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Friday, October 11th, 2019 @ 9:51 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    From Tom:

These basic income experiments have shown promising results… overseas, where they don't have our problem with fiduciary responsibility. Here? I'm skeptical that the withdrawn cash is being used wisely.
    Well, that in itself is a "problematic" question as they say now. Presumably, any real roll-out of UBI would fall equally on the smart and dumb, the needy and the non-needy, and the saints as well as the sinners.

Unlike some other forms of government assistance, there would be no means testing and no special qualifications to receive it (women with children, old age, disability, etc.).

In that case, while it would be foolish to blow 40% of government largess on hookers and blow, there's no real way to prevent it.

I've long maintained that if every man, woman, and child were given 1 million bucks tomorrow morning, everything would shake out pretty much the way it is now within 30 days or so. At the end of a year, the have-nots would still have not and the canny, frugal people would have a million dollars.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

4. Likes Tom Servo, Newman, 80zephyr, scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 8:39 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only flaw in this experiment was that we gave people hookers and blow instead of making them actually rent housing and eat nutritious food. Other than that, it was a huge success!
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Friday, October 11th, 2019 @ 9:51 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    The only flaw in this experiment was that we gave people hookers and blow instead of making them actually rent housing and eat nutritious food. Other than that, it was a huge success!
    Well, this would be literally "free money" to the end-user so I don't know how we could make them use it well or even what that would look like.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Today @ 8:39 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Well, this would be literally "free money" to the end-user so I don't know how we could make them use it well or even what that would look like.
    It pretty much looks like skid row.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    In that case, while it would be foolish to blow 40% of government largess on hookers and blow, there's no real way to prevent it.
    I say, legalize hookers and blow, tax them and then tout it as a jobs creation program and revenue generator! Win-win.
    You can't spell "hatred" without "red hat".