Thread: Border-Wall Climbing Competition to Take Place at Red River Gorge, October 11-12

Last Online
    Today @ 3:04 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Border-Wall Climbing Competition to Take Place at Red River Gorge, October 11-12

Border-Wall Climbing Competition to Take Place at Red River Gorge, October 11-12

Many in the climbing community were amused a couple weeks ago when our POTUS held a press conference at a section of his latest border wall design—a series of parallel square steel posts with a 5-foot-high plate at the top. “This wall can’t be climbed,” he stated. Newsweek reported that the President boasted about how “the federal government tested the structure by having 20 skilled mountain climbers attempt to climb it,” and no one could.

No one in our climbing community knows any of these 20 mountaineers. I doubt if they exist. More importantly, to declare something to be impossible to climb to a bonafide rock climber is to issue a challenge.

So, I decided to build an exact replica and hold a competition. Although I’m 75 years old, I am still an active rock climber and hold certification by American Mountain Guide Association as a Single Pitch Instructor. It helped that I’m also a retired engineer.
    I bet if he asked, Mexico would pay for this.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some early results:

Trump Boasted That His Border Wall Was 'Virtually Impenetrable.' Then an 8-Year-Old Girl Climbed a Replica

When President Donald Trump announced that his signature wall at the U.S.’s southern border would be “virtually impenetrable” while visiting San Diego last month, Rick Weber, who co-founded the Muir Valley rock climbing park in Rogers, Kentucky, was listening.

“You don’t tell a bona fide rock climber something’s impossible to climb,” Weber tells TIME.

Several people have already managed to climb up the wall replica, including 8-year-old Lucy Hancock. Hancock didn’t use any ropes or other tools to climb the wall, but wore a belay, a safety device designed to catch a falling climber. An adult climber, Erik Kloeker, was up and over the wall in about 40 seconds.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Friday, October 11th, 2019 @ 1:07 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's interesting that Trump's words are parsed and then enthusiasts prove him wrong, but let someone say "nobody can feed a family on food stamps" and any experiences shared by rank amateurs (like me) are dismissed.

Yeah, Trump was bloviating. That said, if most people can't climb it I think it's sufficient.
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    Today @ 8:39 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    It's interesting that Trump's words are parsed and then enthusiasts prove him wrong, but let someone say "nobody can feed a family on food stamps" and any experiences shared by rank amateurs (like me) are dismissed.

Yeah, Trump was bloviating. That said, if most people can't climb it I think it's sufficient.
    Light that sumbitch up with 220. Add grease. We'll see who climbs it then.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

5. Likes Tom Servo, 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 4:01 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    ok,that's funny
    I'm thinking that once, in 1953, a group of interesting people just happened to be in a coffee shop at the same time and a great discussion of issues, ideas, and the meaning of life occurred. Since then we have been waiting at Starbucks for Lawrence Ferlinghetti to say something heavy.

7. Likes Celeste Chalfonte liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post

"Parsed"? Dude.

"This wall can’t be climbed,” he stated. Newsweek reported that the President boasted about how “the federal government tested the structure by having 20 skilled mountain climbers attempt to climb it,” and no one could.
    You don't need to parse that shit. You can just read it.

-H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Today @ 4:19 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    How will a grappling hook not make short work of this challenge?

Truth is, any unattended fence is vulnerable. Add some border agents to the challenge and the odds change.
    “The interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasn’t originally a climate thing at all.... We really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.” —Saikat Chakrabarti, then AOC's Chief of Staff, explaining the Green New Deal for the hard of hearing.

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.