Today @ 12:21 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    drugs
    “Kind hearts are more than coronets, and simple faith than Norman blood.”

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    I don't know if you can take Alleve, but I have found that to work. I don't know what to tell you about the shoulder pain (I have that as well...it flares up, then is fine for weeks at a time), other than it sometimes can be indicative of a kidney problem, which sounds like you have.

For the sciatica, have you ever tried any yoga? I know that sounds weird and "new agey" but again, I've dealt with sciatica at times. There are some hip flexxor exercises that do wonders for me. Here is an online resource for some of the poses. But if you can, I would suggest joining the Y and taking their yoga classes.
    Naproxin sodium usage is one suspect in my kidney failure. Day one of diagnosis is : don't drink alcohol or any black or brown sodas (phosphate content) and don't use naproxin or large amouts of acetaminophen.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I must say that nothing kills or causes pain like liquor. If my liver were thirty years younger I'd be on Grand Marnier q.d.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I have recurring back and shoulder pain issues. I may go days or sometimes even weeks feeling just fine, only to suddenly find myself unable to walk without a cane, or do any kind of lifting/bending/etc for a few days, sometimes up to a week.

One of the biggest issues with these kinds of problems is I'm struggling to manage the pain. It's too severe for something like a Tylenol or aspirin to even make a dent in, but the sporadic nature means I'm not a candidate for doctor-led pain management.

Since GPs generally won't prescribe narcotics, and seem to be especially reluctant to hand it out to people like me who only hurt occasionally, this leaves home treatment. With back pain, I have some luck with alternating cold and hot on muscles, and doing sciatica exercises, but it's still a bit of a crapshoot as to whether it will work. Sometimes the pain is bad enough that it's excessively difficult to do the exercises at all.

Right now, it's shoulder pain. I don't recall doing anything to stress it, but my left shoulder is giving me fits. The pain is like little bolts of lighting, and it radiates down to my elbow and into my abdomen, which makes it hard to take deep breaths. I've been doing ice and heat, but the effects are minimal.

If it doesn't get better, I'm going to the doctor tomorrow (assuming I can get a referral from my GP, who is comically hard to get in touch with) but in the meantime, I'm wondering if you guys have any over the counter products that you've found useful for dealing with the typical aches and pains of life?

I used to swear by Blue Emu, which for all the snake oil marketing seemed to really work great on joint pain. But it was apparently reformulated a few years ago and my new jar is totally useless. My mother has given me an old (expired) tube of Voltaren (diclofenac), a topical NSAID, but it doesn't seem to do anything at all for most aches.

As I mentioned back in July, my doctors have recommended against me taking certain OTC pain relievers due to concerns over my liver and kidneys, so my options are kind of limited.

Any ideas?
    Aquaint yourself with your nearest marijuana dealer. Caryophyllene in a strong Indica will whoop pain and inflammation.

Last Online
    Today @ 1:15 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reading this thread, it occurs to me how lucky I am to feel the way I do.

To keep collecting my pension, I can only work a few more days this year, but I am pretty sure I will go back to work next year. I feel good, so, why not?

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Aquaint yourself with your nearest marijuana dealer. Caryophyllene in a strong Indica will whoop pain and inflammation.
    Tom, have you tried any of these products for your pain?
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    Thursday, May 28th, 2020 @ 3:43 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Tom, have you tried any of these products for your pain?
    Marijuana? Ha ha, not since I was a young'un. With the way the police are here — extra aggressive — I wouldn't dare take that chance. If it's ever fully legalized, though… I'd be willing to try it.
    “Any sufficiently advanced capitalism is indistinguishable from rent seeking.” ~ =j

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking more like any CBD products? I realize that claims are far-ranging but for chronic pain, there has been some success.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    Thursday, May 28th, 2020 @ 3:43 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I was thinking more like any CBD products? I realize that claims are far-ranging but for chronic pain, there has been some success.
    Ah, sorry.

Yes, I did try some CBD recently. It has really exploded here once it became legal. On the recommendation of a few different people, I got the liquid for sublingual dosing. The claims were it would help with my recurring nausea, but also back pain, sleep problems and anxiety. The reality is it did nothing for pain, and actually made the nausea and anxiety noticeably worse. I used it off an on for a few months before I was able to conclusively determine the CBD was the root of the problem. Perhaps the oddest side effect (other than the "I'm about the puke my guts out" levels of painful nausea) was the nightmares it gave. Like, straight up nightmares that kids have. Just really weird, uncomfortable dreams. That surprised me more than anything.

After speaking to some other CBD proponents, their consensus was, "You just used the wrong product, you have to do your research and see what's legit and what isn't." Unfortunately, there seem to be SO many brands, so many choices, and so little regulation that I just decided it wasn't worth the effort. Especially considering how expensive these products currently are.
    “Any sufficiently advanced capitalism is indistinguishable from rent seeking.” ~ =j

Last Online
    Today @ 9:51 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

After speaking to some other CBD proponents, their consensus was, "You just used the wrong product, you have to do your research and see what's legit and what isn't." Unfortunately, there seem to be SO many brands, so many choices, and so little regulation that I just decided it wasn't worth the effort. Especially considering how expensive these products currently are.
    Color me unsurprised. Proponents think this stuff is a true panacea and it's your fault if it doesn't work.

I used to use weed a couple of times a year for migraine (after my familial migraines slacked off considerably). I didn't like it but I could get to sleep with it which is the real "cure" for a migraine. I tried CBD but it just made me even pukier than I already was. Luckily for me, I haven't needed anything for that problem in a couple of years.

I think some of us just aren't responsive to whatever is working for other people.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

11. Likes Tom Servo liked this post