Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you manage pain?

Last Online
    Friday, October 11th, 2019 @ 1:07 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I take bioflavanoid supplements regularly and alternate acetaminophen and ibuprofen for 24-36 hours if I have a bad round of pain. It helps greatly. The key is to reduce inflammation and take the edge off the pain. Anything longer means there is an injury that needs more attention so I see a doctor and that's usually a week or two of one type of NSAID, but usually it clears up quickly.
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

2. Thanks Tom Servo thanked for this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    I don't know if you can take Alleve, but I have found that to work. I don't know what to tell you about the shoulder pain (I have that as well...it flares up, then is fine for weeks at a time), other than it sometimes can be indicative of a kidney problem, which sounds like you have.

For the sciatica, have you ever tried any yoga? I know that sounds weird and "new agey" but again, I've dealt with sciatica at times. There are some hip flexxor exercises that do wonders for me. Here is an online resource for some of the poses. But if you can, I would suggest joining the Y and taking their yoga classes.
    I've never tried yoga, and judging by some of the contorted bodies on that page, I'm sure I'm capable of some of those posts! I am not a very flexible person (insert political jokes here).

I used to take Aleve and it did help for mild pain, but it's another NSAID that the doctor told me to stay away from.

Kidney problems seem unlikely due to the location of the pain, but I have definitely had problems with them in the past. The last time I had a CT scan done of them, the doctor told me I was "lit up like a Christmas decoration" because of all the stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    When my sciatic nerve starts flaming, I try to roll it out on one of those exercise rollers or I lie down on the floor next to a wall and scoot up to it as close as I can get to raise my legs against it. That stretches the sciatic and helps the muscle to release.

Tom, you've probably said but what's wrong with your shoulder? I just recently had a tear in my rotator cuff and the Drs are trying to decide what to do. I'll tell you, it's painful.
    I'll have to try that pose with the wall. I think I can do that without too much difficulty.

No idea what's going on with my shoulder. It just kind of started hurting out of the blue. I've had pain now since Monday but haven't been able to pinpoint any particular movements that trigger pain. It just sort of strikes like a bolt of lighting over and over at random. What's especially strange to me is that I still seem to have my full range of motion and ability to use the shoulder. I can reach overhead, or carry groceries, without any flare ups. Yet, as I sit here, I just had a little hiccup and got a bolt of pain down my arm and into my abdomen. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    Ever been checked for Lymes? When I have an attack, I ache, and I can barely walk.

Mark
    I don't think that's an issue where I live, and luckily the symptoms listed online don't seem to match what I'm experiencing. I'm surprised to see the CDC says Alabama had over 40 cases of Lyme disease in 2017. Other surrounding states had less than 10.

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    I take bioflavanoid supplements regularly and alternate acetaminophen and ibuprofen for 24-36 hours if I have a bad round of pain. It helps greatly. The key is to reduce inflammation and take the edge off the pain. Anything longer means there is an injury that needs more attention so I see a doctor and that's usually a week or two of one type of NSAID, but usually it clears up quickly.
    I've never heard of bioflavaoids before, but it looks like something I need to look into, regardless of pain. The list of foods that have them naturally are almost all foods that I can't eat for one reason or another. Sweet potatoes and turnip greens were the only foods I saw that I can consume with no real ill effects. So, I probably need that just for general health!

If this pain isn't noticeably better by Friday morning, I will have to see a doctor. It started Monday night. I dread a doctor visit, though… my wonderful insurance requires a referral if I see anyone other than my GP, and she's booked solid through mid-November, so I'd have to go to the local doc-in-a-box. Usually takes two or three phone calls to the GP's office to get a referral faxed over. Always such a hassle.
    You can't spell "hatred" without "red hat".

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, x-ray maybe?
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Tom, x-ray maybe?
    Not yet. At least now if I have one done it won't cost an arm and a leg. Prior to this year, x-rays had the same deductible as MRIs and CT scans — $500 But this year they finally broke it out and it's no extra change. Of course, the compromise is that CT scans and MRIs are now $600 copay.

6. Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Friday, October 11th, 2019 @ 9:51 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had sciatica once and had to hobble around with a hiking staff until I did the exercises to stop it but you're already doing those.

I purely hate to take prescription pain meds because they either make me nauseated or they zone me out too much.

I am a huge believer in sauna as a cure-all for just about everything. I'm talking a steam sauna here - not the infrared dry saunas you find in most clubs. I'm guessing you don't have a steam room or banya where you live.

You can fake it to some extent in a regular shower/bath tub. Run the shower full blast starting with tepid water and adjust it hotter until you can't tolerate it anymore. This should take some time - it isn't a 5 minute process. When it begins to get too hot, put the plug in the tub and let it run and get in the tub. The distance should cool it off enough to endure but if it's too hot, adjust it. Fill up the tub enough to submerge the body part. It should be just on the edge of "too hot".

Stay there until the water becomes too cool. This will take some time. Nap.

Get out and bundle up. Socks to head. Drink tepid water. Do that as often as you want - three times a day is not too much.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I'm guessing you don't have a steam room or banya where you live.
    Of course we have a sauna, it's called "outside".

Seriously, when it's 90° and 70% humidity, no one wants to think about going somewhere hotter and MORE humid. Granted, it's been almost a week since it was that warm…

I used to take shower under water so hot it was barely tolerable. Not the same thing as a bath, but the effects were similar. My current doctor ran some sort of skin care clinic before entering general practice. First thing she said on our first meeting was, "You take hot baths, right? I can tell by your skin, it's awful. Stop doing that."

9. Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 8:39 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say that even when my hips were pretty much beyond any sort of repair, I still got a lot of pain relief from chiropractic. It's not a cure (at least in my case), but it made the pain a lot easier to deal with. At least around here, chiropractic is relatively cheap.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

11. Likes Tom Servo liked this post