Thread: Why Evangelicals Are Arguing Online About David and Bathsheba

Last Online
    Today @ 3:04 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Evangelicals Are Arguing Online About David and Bathsheba

Why Evangelicals Are Arguing Online About David and Bathsheba

The biblical story of David and Bathsheba is as dramatic as it is ambiguous: A powerful man sees a beautiful stranger and orders his subordinates to summon her. She becomes pregnant. The man clumsily tries to cover it up, but eventually he has the woman’s husband killed, and they later marry.

In recent days, a question about this ancient tale has inspired heated online conversations among evangelicals: Did David have an affair with Bathsheba, or did he rape her? The answer has implications for the way the famous story is taught to children and the reputation of a biblical hero. But the debate itself illuminates—and may even change—the ways that evangelical Christians think about gender, sex, power, consent, and abuse.

This week, the Bathsheba question became the subject of a suddenly heated public debate, sparked by a major Southern Baptist conference on sexual abuse in evangelical contexts. The conference, held last weekend in Dallas, meant that many evangelicals had already spent the weekend reading and discussing institutional complicity in sexual abuse. The event included sessions for church leaders on recognizing and responding to abuse; it also offered platforms to critics of the denomination’s record of mishandling claims. Rachael Denhollander, an author and victim’s advocate, emphasized that true reckoning requires specificity about past failures. Afterward, she reiterated the point on Twitter in response to a tweet that said David’s sin was that he “fornicated”: “David raped,” Denhollander replied. “It’s important we get that right.”
    On the one hand, I don't think Bathsheba had much choice in the matter. On the other hand, when Nathan laid out the charges, he didn't mention sexual assault.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would prefer that religious leaders disabuse our culture of the notion that David was the underdog when he faced Goliath.
    “Totalitarianism in power invariably replaces all first-rate talents, regardless of their sympathies, with those crackpots and fools whose lack of intelligence and creativity is still the best guarantee of their loyalty.”

~ Hannah Arendt

Last Online
    Today @ 4:38 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    On the one hand, I don't think Bathsheba had much choice in the matter. On the other hand, when Nathan laid out the charges, he didn't mention sexual assault.
    I doubt the "droit du seigneur" was that foreign an idea in those days. I find Nathan's effrontery much more telling. I've referred to this story on occasion. I think it shows the role of a moral code superior to the will of men.
    “The interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasn’t originally a climate thing at all.... We really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.” —Saikat Chakrabarti, then AOC's Chief of Staff, explaining the Green New Deal for the hard of hearing.

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    Today @ 4:01 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    I think that by the SJW logic, all sex with a king was rape. Andrea Dworkin (RIP), a woman so leftist that she got ejaculated from Bennington College, considered all penetration rape.
    I'm thinking that once, in 1953, a group of interesting people just happened to be in a coffee shop at the same time and a great discussion of issues, ideas, and the meaning of life occurred. Since then we have been waiting at Starbucks for Lawrence Ferlinghetti to say something heavy.

Last Online
    Friday, October 11th, 2019 @ 9:51 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of all the things David did that were flat out wrong regardless of culture or time, this is the one just now sparking debate?

The point of the story of David isn't that David was a noble man who constantly abided by the Commandments and was an exemplary man in the sense that everything he did was something we should all strive to do.

It was that he very much was not. He was a deeply flawed man who was used by God for a greater purpose despite his numerous short comings. He missed the mark more than once in ways that were much more dramatic than this instance.

And he knew it. So did God. So did everybody.

I can't believe this is a thing.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:43 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

I can't believe this is a thing.
    It's certainly a ridiculous "thing". Why not just bring up multiple wives and claim they were all raped...…………. Or just make the clam about arranged marriages still happening today.

As to the OP...…………. what evangelicals are arguing.....