Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54

Thread: Democrats attack Christianity

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Friday, November 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Posts
    9,789
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Dragged.
    Your bad.

    “The interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasn’t originally a climate thing at all.... We really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.” —Saikat Chakrabarti, then AOC's Chief of Staff.

    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

    "What is objectionable, what is dangerous about extremists is not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say about their cause, but what they say about their opponents.” ―Robert F. Kennedy.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 AM
    Posts
    4,277
    Post Thanks / Like
    And yet the majority of Christians who are not white will probably vote Democrat in 2020. Ask yourself why that is. It's because the Republican Party is not as Christian as they make themselves out to be. Christianity is more than just the stance on gay marriage. O'Rourke's ideas would NEVER hold up in court, BTW. Goes right up there with Trump threatening an executive order to get rid of born citizenship without an amendment. Presidents need to get it through their thick skulls that you can't make the constitution go away.

    We might be able to tax churches one day, but it will have to be ALL of them. We can't pick and choose based on what we like or don't like.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 12th, 2019 @ 10:23 PM
    Location
    Down here.
    Posts
    225
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    And yet the majority of Christians who are not white will probably vote Democrat in 2020. Ask yourself why that is. It's because the Republican Party is not as Christian as they make themselves out to be. Christianity is more than just the stance on gay marriage. O'Rourke's ideas would NEVER hold up in court, BTW. Goes right up there with Trump threatening an executive order to get rid of born citizenship without an amendment. Presidents need to get it through their thick skulls that you can't make the constitution go away.

    We might be able to tax churches one day, but it will have to be ALL of them. We can't pick and choose based on what we like or don't like.
    No, it's because most Christians aren't as Christian as they make themselves out to be. If they're serious about following Jesus, the Bible is very clear that we are supposed to occupy until He returns. Occupy means that we're supposed to be more concerned with what He wants than we are with blending into whatever society in which we're temporarily living. And that includes how we vote. Although neither party is close to what Jesus would want, one of them is a lot further away from Him than the other - in fact they've openly declared war on Him. Most church-goers in America don't even read their Bible, so unless their Pastors tell them how to live Biblically (which includes the responsibility of how we vote) - which most of them won't because they're more concerned with filling the pews than saying something that might offend somebody, they don't have a clue. As it says in the Old Testament (which the vast majority of Christians have never read):

    Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I also will reject you from being priest for Me; Because you have forgotten the law of your God, I also will forget your children.
    God's not kidding around about this, and He really doesn't care about skin color or culture. And neither should Christians. Anybody who's more concerned with the issues of their race or any other superficial aspect of their lives than what Jesus wants has a serious problem with God.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Friday, November 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Posts
    9,789
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's because the Republican Party is not as Christian as they make themselves out to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw 3.0 View Post
    No, it's because most Christians aren't as Christian as they make themselves out to be. If they're serious about following Jesus, the Bible is very clear that we are supposed to occupy until He returns. Occupy means that we're supposed to be more concerned with what He wants than we are with blending into whatever society in which we're temporarily living. And that includes how we vote. Although neither party is close to what Jesus would want, one of them is a lot further away from Him than the other - in fact they've openly declared war on Him. Most church-goers in America don't even read their Bible, so unless their Pastors tell them how to live Biblically (which includes the responsibility of how we vote) - which most of them won't because they're more concerned with filling the pews than saying something that might offend somebody, they don't have a clue. As it says in the Old Testament (which the vast majority of Christians have never read):



    God's not kidding around about this, and He really doesn't care about skin color or culture. And neither should Christians. Anybody who's more concerned with the issues of their race or any other superficial aspect of their lives than what Jesus wants has a serious problem with God.
    I think being a Christian per se has a much lower threshold that you are supposing.

    What you are talking about is modeling one's life after Jesus, however we perceive that. We draw all sorts of limits (can a soldier be a Christian?), propose demands (X number of Hail Marys), and our ideas change; essentially we use faith to produce a civil society.

    I'm guilty too, and I'm not even sure that's not part of Jesus' purpose, as in Jeremiah ("I know the plans I have for you, plans for hope and a future, not evil."—which aren't the words of Christ, per se.) I didn't see eye to eye with my pastor on this.

    What Christianity requires is acceptance of Jesus (God) as Redeemer, Savior and so on. That's all.

    All the rest hangs on Paul's argument that when you do, you will want to be the sort of person we call "a good Christian."
    “The interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasn’t originally a climate thing at all.... We really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.” —Saikat Chakrabarti, then AOC's Chief of Staff.

    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

    "What is objectionable, what is dangerous about extremists is not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say about their cause, but what they say about their opponents.” ―Robert F. Kennedy.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 AM
    Posts
    4,277
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw 3.0 View Post
    No, it's because most Christians aren't as Christian as they make themselves out to be. If they're serious about following Jesus, the Bible is very clear that we are supposed to occupy until He returns. Occupy means that we're supposed to be more concerned with what He wants than we are with blending into whatever society in which we're temporarily living. And that includes how we vote. Although neither party is close to what Jesus would want, one of them is a lot further away from Him than the other - in fact they've openly declared war on Him. Most church-goers in America don't even read their Bible, so unless their Pastors tell them how to live Biblically (which includes the responsibility of how we vote) - which most of them won't because they're more concerned with filling the pews than saying something that might offend somebody, they don't have a clue. As it says in the Old Testament (which the vast majority of Christians have never read):



    God's not kidding around about this, and He really doesn't care about skin color or culture. And neither should Christians. Anybody who's more concerned with the issues of their race or any other superficial aspect of their lives than what Jesus wants has a serious problem with God.

    So, what you're saying is that most people who aren't white and are Christian are actually false Christians. Most Christians are apparently white.

    Newsflash. If a most people in a minority think the policies of a party are racist, then they think that's anti-Christian. And no. I don't care that I'm offended Republicans right now. I know most of you guys are not racist. I'm only making a point about why they think the way they think.

    If most poor people who are Christians think that Republican policy is meant to kick a poor person while they are down, then they don't see it as Christian.

    In the case of the Catholic church, they're highly for helping those in need like refugees because Jesus told us to help people. Therefore, they don't see Trump as this wonderful Christian. Our church tend to be split about who to vote for because they realize the issue isn't black and white.

    And God is not registered with the board of elections, so I take high offense to the idea that he's a Republican. I reject your Republican God. I only worship the real one (who often tells me that I'm wrong, but not necessarily because of how I vote). God created us in his image, not the other way around.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 12th, 2019 @ 10:23 PM
    Location
    Down here.
    Posts
    225
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that’s all that’s required for salvation, but there’s a sanctification process after that. We want to become more like Jesus and do His will. 1st John is full of that, as well as James, not to mention the ‘last halfs’ of several of Paul’s epistles (usually starting with “therefore”). Jesus Himself said “Why do you call me Lord, Lord and not do the the things which I say?” in Luke 6:46

    Being a Christian means we’re converted... or in the process of being converted (2 Corinthians 5:17 speaks about the start of the process). A simple “belief” isn’t what a lot of people seem to think it means. Biblically speaking, it’s a reliance on and clinging to Jesus - like children rely on their parents, or sheep their shepherd. Faith, trust, and believe are all the same Greek word in the New Testament.

  7. Likes Newman liked this post
  8. #47
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 12th, 2019 @ 10:23 PM
    Location
    Down here.
    Posts
    225
    Post Thanks / Like
    That response was to Newman, several features including the quote function don’t work on my iPhone.

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 12th, 2019 @ 10:23 PM
    Location
    Down here.
    Posts
    225
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    So, what you're saying is that most people who aren't white and are Christian are actually false Christians. Most Christians are apparently white.
    How in the world did you come to that conclusion?

    Newsflash. If a most people in a minority think the policies of a party are racist, then they think that's anti-Christian. And no. I don't care that I'm offended Republicans right now. I know most of you guys are not racist. I'm only making a point about why they think the way they think.

    If most poor people who are Christians think that Republican policy is meant to kick a poor person while they are down, then they don't see it as Christian.

    In the case of the Catholic church, they're highly for helping those in need like refugees because Jesus told us to help people. Therefore, they don't see Trump as this wonderful Christian. Our church tend to be split about who to vote for because they realize the issue isn't black and white.

    And God is not registered with the board of elections, so I take high offense to the idea that he's a Republican. I reject your Republican God. I only worship the real one (who often tells me that I'm wrong, but not necessarily because of how I vote). God created us in his image, not the other way around.
    Everything I said came from what the Bible says. God doesn't see races, and neither should we. If people are putting anything in this world above Jesus' will, that's a real bad sign. From Matthew 10:

    37 He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.

    If He said that about close family members, what do you think He thinks about people who are putting race or politics ahead of Him? And I don't care which party people are putting above God - they're wrong. My point was that at the current time, the democrats are further away from God than the republicans - they're openly declaring war on Him. So what do you think God thinks of people who are going to enable that party to enact more of their policies that He's clearly stated that He's against, just because they think that party benefits them personally? And FYI, I don't vote republican by default, I vote by the candidate. I find myself literally voting for the lesser of two evils lately.

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 AM
    Posts
    4,277
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw 3.0 View Post
    How in the world did you come to that conclusion?
    I tell you that most non-white Christians don't vote Republican and you say they're less Christian.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw 3.0 View Post
    Everything I said came from what the Bible says. God doesn't see races, and neither should we. If people are putting anything in this world above Jesus' will, that's a real bad sign. From Matthew 10:

    37 He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.

    If He said that about close family members, what do you think He thinks about people who are putting race or politics ahead of Him? And I don't care which party people are putting above God - they're wrong. My point was that at the current time, the democrats are further away from God than the republicans - they're openly declaring war on Him. So what do you think God thinks of people who are going to enable that party to enact more of their policies that He's clearly stated that He's against, just because they think that party benefits them personally? And FYI, I don't vote republican by default, I vote by the candidate. I find myself literally voting for the lesser of two evils lately.

    Both of these parties are following God's laws in some areas and not in others. Your opportunity is to see that instead of acting like the GOP stands for God's Official Party.

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:50 PM
    Posts
    19,188
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of "religious people" of all flavors don't vote according to their various beliefs. Whether they should or not is a different discussion.

    This is how you get Catholics voting for pro-abortion candidates or Evangelicals voting for gay initiatives or Jews voting for candidates that support antisemitic ideas.

    Most voters aren't "one issue" voters. Neither are most religious voters. Really intensely religious people frequently never vote because they view participating as an inherently worldly concern.

    Black and Hispanic voters don't vote for Democrats primarily because they believe Democrats are more aligned with their religious views any more than whites do a quick review of the Apostle's Creed before they pull the trigger for a Republican.

    Some few people may frame it like that but the bulk of self-identified "religious" voters vote more similarly to "non-religious" voters who share similar characteristics with them such as economic status, education, marriage status, region, age, etc.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •