Thread: Invasive fish species that can survive on land discovered in Georgia

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

Invasive fish species that can survive on land discovered in Georgia

Invasive fish species that can survive on land discovered in Georgia

Gwinnett County, Georgia -- An invasive fish species that can breathe air and survive on land has been found in Georgia for the first time. And officials are warning anyone who comes into contact with the species to kill it immediately.

An angler caught the northern snakehead fish this month in a pond in Gwinnett County, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources' Wildlife Resources Division said Tuesday.

"Thanks to the quick report by an angler, our staff was able to investigate and confirm the presence of this species in this water body," said Matt Thomas, chief of fisheries for the Wildlife Resources Division. "We are now taking steps to determine if they have spread from this water body and, hopefully, keep it from spreading to other Georgia waters."

While this is the first time it's been discovered in Georgia, snakeheads have been reported in 14 states nationwide. The long, thin fish has a dark brown blotchy appearance and can grow up to three feet in length. It can also breathe air, and survive in low oxygenated systems, including on land, officials said.

A snakehead fish is considered a non-native invasive species, which means it affects native species by competing for food and habitat. In Georgia, it is illegal to possess one without a valid wild animal license.

Anglers who believe they've caught a northern snakehead should kill it immediately and freeze it, officials said.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Friday, October 11th, 2019 @ 9:51 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Kill it with fire.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is it edible? Convince the Vietnamese restaurants to use it in place of catfish or tilapia, and it'll be wiped out in weeks.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Is it edible? Convince the Vietnamese restaurants to use it in place of catfish or tilapia, and it'll be wiped out in weeks.
    Apparently it is edible.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Today @ 8:39 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Huh. A fish that might actually need a bicycle.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Huh. A fish that might actually need a bicycle.
    OK, that was funny.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).