Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Infants 'unable to use toy building blocks' due to iPad addiction

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    There has to be a better way. Time doesn't really fluctuate, does it? In this dimension?
    Actually, Stephen Hawking says that time does, in fact, "fluctuate" a bit, as time is actually affected by gravity. Because your office is on the ninth floor, time is actually passing by slightly slower for you than it is for the people down on the sidewalk below.

Probably why it seems like five o'clock will never get here when you're at work.

Perhaps "be allocated" or "be apportioned." Or maybe just say that parents should balance tech time with old-school play time.
    Either word would probably be fine, though I think Lanie was addressing classroom activities rather than stuff at home, but I could be mistaken there.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Today @ 2:40 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    There has to be a better way. Time doesn't really fluctuate, does it? In this dimension? Perhaps "be allocated" or "be apportioned." Or maybe just say that parents should balance tech time with old-school play time.
    "Alternate." [Activity] time should alternate between iPads and building blocks.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    We should just have checked a link.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Sunday, April 29th, 2018 @ 3:11 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Kids should use IPads when they're young because computers are going to be a big part of their future. However, time should fluctuated between that and building blocks or other activities.
    Years ago when my nephews were young I would spend a lot of time letting them use my computer for educational games. They did not have a computer at their house. Between myself and my parents we would pretty much have the kids all summer, and at times it seemed like all year before they became students. It's just how it worked out for several reasons. I treasure those years.

I think it gave them a jump start on learning new things and when they were first introduced to a computer in grade school, they would already be familiar with it.

That was in the early 90's when I got a "good deal" on a desk top computer from Sam's Club, $1600 and I still had to buy a $400 printer.

My oldest nephew had problems saying the word "computer" and would always butcher it in some fashion. My sister showed up with one of her very attractive friends and my 3 year old nephew asked her "do you want to see Uncle Rob's peter" as he pointed at my computer. It was pretty embarrassing for all of us.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; Wednesday, May 21st, 2014 at 6:44 PM.

5. Likes Lanie liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 3:13 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    But math, spacial reasoning, and natural physics are real-world skills that can't be learned by reading a book. Why moderate that and overemphasize literature?
    I read the Odyssey and the Iliad in kindergarten.
    Not the child's version.

But.

It was tedious.

I tend to be lineal. It's just me. Logically, I probably should have gone into programming, but, as it wasn't much in the 60's I graduated to the hard sciences. Chemistry and Biology.

I did well in the advanced mathematics but I had no love for it that gradually turned into a loathing.
    Statistics was just boring, but I absorbed it as required.
    The understanding of mathematics was a boon in my many organic chemistry classes.
    Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
    and lost …
    But the Republicans are racist.

7. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    I read the Odyssey and the Iliad in kindergarten.
    Not the child's version.

But.

It was tedious.

I tend to be lineal. It's just me. Logically, I probably should have gone into programming, but, as it wasn't much in the 60's I graduated to the hard sciences. Chemistry and Biology.

I did well in the advanced mathematics but I had no love for it that gradually turned into a loathing.
    Statistics was just boring, but I absorbed it as required.
    The understanding of mathematics was a boon in my many organic chemistry classes.
    +1
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).