Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Most of America Is Terrible at Making Biscuits

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    That's your problem! Bread maker instructions always call for bread flour because a lot of people dump added things into the mix (herbs, dried fruit, nuts) and bread flour gives more structure to support all that.

You want to try AP flour which is simply All Purpose flour or 'regular' flour. It's a less strong flour and will be fluffier.

You'll have to play around a little to get what you want. Adding a little potato starch will also improve the fluff factor. My best fluffy bread is an Amish wheat bread that uses a small amount of mashed potatoes. It's incredibly light. I think I posted the recipe here somewhere. You'll have to convert for a bread machine but that's no big deal.

Bread made with potatoes is my favorite. Soft and fluffy.

Ginger, do you ever use the High-Altitude Hungarian flour?
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

2. Likes Tom Servo liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Bread made with potatoes is my favorite. Soft and fluffy.

Ginger, do you ever use the High-Altitude Hungarian flour?
    I was slave to it for years but fooling around with sourdoughs and ethnic breads made me lose my faith in it to some extent. I find that for me, it's not the flour so much as the flour/water ratio and timing.

It's a fine choice, though. Now, I normally use whatever my neighbor grinds or King Arthur but I'm not above a few sacks of Blue Bird.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

4. Thanks Michele thanked for this post