Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump to Sign Order Targeting Anti-Semitism on College Campuses

Last Online
    Today @ 5:11 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Trump to Sign Order Targeting Anti-Semitism on College Campuses

Trump to Sign Order Targeting Anti-Semitism on College Campuses

WASHINGTON — President Trump plans to sign an executive order on Wednesday targeting what he sees as anti-Semitism on college campuses by threatening to withhold federal money from educational institutions that fail to combat discrimination, three administration officials said on Tuesday.

The order will effectively interpret Judaism as a nationality, not just a religion, to trigger a federal law penalizing colleges and universities deemed to be shirking their responsibility to foster an open climate for minority students, according to the officials, who insisted on anonymity to discuss the matter before the announcement.

In signing the order, Mr. Trump will use his executive power to take action where Congress has not, essentially replicating bipartisan legislation that has stalled on Capitol Hill for years. Prominent Democrats have joined Republicans in promoting such a policy change at a time of rising tension on campuses over anti-Semitism as well as the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions or B.D.S. movement against Israel.

But critics have complained that such a policy could be used to stifle free speech and legitimate opposition to Israel’s policies toward Palestinians in the name of fighting anti-Semitism. The definition of anti-Semitism to be used in the order, which matches the one used by the State Department, has been criticized as too open-ended and sweeping.

For instance, it describes as anti-Semitic “denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination,” and offers as an example of such behavior “claiming that the existence of a State of Israel is a racist endeavor.”

Opponents of the definition fear that it could be used to declare any defense of Palestinian autonomy to be anti-Semitic, with federal education funding as a cudgel.
    One guy taking unilateral action to limit free speech on campus by the force of the United States government. So, if someone says that Israel should not be expanding settlements in occupied territories, are they "denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination"?

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Today @ 1:40 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    "...essentially replicating bipartisan legislation that has stalled on Capitol Hill for years. Prominent Democrats have joined Republicans in promoting such a policy change at a time of rising tension on campuses over anti-Semitism as well as the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions or B.D.S. movement against Israel."

Doesn't sound very unilateral to me.

Meanwhile, colleges have not been very supportive of free speech...well, unless that speech echoes Official Approved Liberal Opinions.

Any publicly-funded institution that violates the First Amendment rights of people attending should not receive public funding.
    “I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.”

The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

3. Likes Frostbit, Newman liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 4:04 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daveman View Post
    "...essentially replicating bipartisan legislation that has stalled on Capitol Hill for years. Prominent Democrats have joined Republicans in promoting such a policy change at a time of rising tension on campuses over anti-Semitism as well as the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions or B.D.S. movement against Israel."

Meanwhile, colleges have not been very supportive of free speech...well, unless that speech echoes Official Approved Liberal Opinions.

Any publicly-funded institution that violates the First Amendment rights of people attending should not receive public funding.
    Welcome back Daveman.
    Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
    and lost …
    But the Republicans are racist.

5. Likes Celeste Chalfonte liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 1:40 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Welcome back Daveman.
    “I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.”

The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

He signed an Executive Order. That is pretty much the definition of unilateral.

*Trigger warning*

I'll be using a dictionary.

Definition of unilateral

1a : done or undertaken by one person or party

Last Online
    Today @ 5:21 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    One guy taking unilateral action to limit free speech on campus by the force of the United States government. So, if someone says that Israel should not be expanding settlements in occupied territories, are they "denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination"?
    No, they just need to review what happens when you start a war and lose.
    You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.

9. Likes scott, Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 5:21 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much every college gets public funding of some sort.
    You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    One side does not get to determine when the war is over.

Last Online
    Today @ 5:11 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    You're saying that wouldn't be prohibited speech by the terms of this E.O.?

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Today @ 1:18 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    Norm, you're one step closer to being a full on Nazi. Does it offend you that you can't just be an open anti-semite?

Don't worry, you can freely still criticize policy on government funded college campuses (why is that a concern for you anyway, aren't you like 50?). But you can't call Jews all those fun things you leftists like to call them without consequences. It's about time.

Government funding always comes with strings. Remember when you made that point regarding federally funded healthcare?
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

14. Likes daveman, Lanie liked this post