Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump Is Forever

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    You want proof that racism was once commonplace in the United States? Try a history book.
    Thank you, Norm. Now maybe Lanie can answer for herself. She's capable, you know, despite being a woman and all.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

2. Likes Adam, scott, Michele, Gingersnap liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 7:28 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    Thank you, Norm. Now maybe Lanie can answer for herself. She's capable, you know, despite being a woman and all.
    Ain't no one stopping her. Nice try, though.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ain't no one stopping her. Nice try, though.
    It wasn't a "try". But nice try.
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    It wasn't a "try". But nice try.
    Nobody presumed she wasn't capable, but it was a nice baiting attempt by you.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody presumed she wasn't capable, but it was a nice baiting attempt by you.
    Sure you didn't.
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

7. Likes scott, Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure you didn't.
    Once was a nice try. Now you're getting repetitive.

-H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once was a nice try. Now you're getting repetitive.
    Good pivot.
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

10. Likes scott, Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 4:32 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't say that I know what "Republicans" think of Trump, both registered Republicans and registered Democrats seldom hew to the entire slate of their respective parties and Republicans have been generally even less willing to conform to the bubble-view of their party resulting the large number of RINOs.

What I think is happening is that Trump ran as a Republican but he really represents the emerging views of a possibly viable third party and that appealed to many Republicans and Independents. Since most Americans are Independents, this is no small thing.

Most Americans, regardless of political affiliation, do live pretty conservative lives and instruct their kids to do the same: work hard, don't get involved with law enforcement, save the kids for marriage or get married as soon as the pee stick shows a plus, your body is not an amusement park (keep it reasonably clean and safe), don't go out of your way to annoy people, pay your bills, don't lie to the police or the IRS, be glad you live here instead of Tibet or Somalia, don't physically or digitally attack people, walk away from insane people (in bars, in school, or on the street), leave people alone over religion unless their religion condones attacking you, avoid being managed by government where you can and know your right when that becomes a factor, and be glad about the good your culture has done.

Not everyone is like this but most Americans of every description are like this or get there over a period of years.

Neither Party really expresses this kind of thing. Foreign policy, domestic policy, economic policy and related issues are very important to both sides but it all starts with kitchen table stuff and neither party cares about John and Jane Doe who are doing the right things but seem to get slammed, blamed, or ignored in favor of multiple special interest groups and increasing pressure to substitute political allegiance for individual virtue. This is the reality of most skin tones, hair textures, and sexual interests but not the reality of academia or of many government policies.

Like him or loath him, Trump is bridging that gap. He's no conservative but neither is he a contemporary liberal/progressive. He does appear to care about and promote the kind of kitchen table stuff most people deal with every day: onerous red tape for small business owners, the courts, bread and butter economics, and a push-back against the more ludicrous and damaging far Left intrusions into daily life. Not that he's any friend to the far Right, he obviously isn't and those few are well aware of that.

Rather than shilling for Main Street Republicans after he leaves office, I wouldn't be surprised if he became the nucleus of a real Third Party that would siphon off supporters from Republicans, Independents, and traditional blue collar Democrats.

This would probably damage Democrats more than Republicans (although they would also be damaged) and it would certainly shake up both both Parties. Would this be a good thing? It might be given the polarization we have now particularly in the social realm. Americans used to agree to disagree and were able to get beyond those positions without jeopardizing their social identities.

A third way might be a much better way forward.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Today @ 5:36 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 1:41 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    I am inclined to agree with the author of the piece and Trumpism, and the vile hatred and unearned grievance it represents in our society, will not be going away. It is just too easy to exploit.
    Just plain people tired of government/ tax-payer give-aways.