Thread: Refugee paroled in Calif. murder case, detained by ICE

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

Refugee paroled in Calif. murder case, detained by ICE

Refugee paroled in Calif. murder case, detained by ICE By Don Thompson

The Associated Press
    SACRAMENTO >> A Cambodian refugee who drew support from immigrant groups was released Monday from a California prison after being granted parole in a murder case, then immediately turned over to federal agents for possible deportation, his attorney said.
    Gov. Gavin Newsom allowed the parole of Tith Ton, now 40, who spent 22 years in prison for killing a rival gang member.
    “It’s deeply disappointing that the governor is choosing to work with ICE,” said Anoop Prasad, an attorney with the Asian Law Caucus. “It’s an unjust and illogical practice that is tearing apart communities in California.”
    Immigrant rights groups want Newsom to end policies allowing the transfer of prison inmates to federal authorities despite California’s efforts to provide a sanctuary for immigrants.
    Prasad argued that Ton had turned his life around in the past two decades and become a substance abuse counselor. In approving his release, Newsom must have agreed that Ton no longer poses a danger to the community, Prasad said.
    Newsom’s office didn’t comment other than to confirm that he had allowed the parole.
    “We followed normal procedure,” corrections department spokesman Jeffrey Callison said of Ton’s release.
    Dozens of people rallied last month on the lawn of the state Capitol in support of Ton and others from Southeast Asia who face possible deportation.
    The groups want Newsom to end a corrections department policy of notifying immigration officials of impending releases after the agents file detainers or present an arrest warrant.
    A 2017 California law bars local and state agencies from cooperating with immigration authorities involving cases against those who have committed certain crimes, mostly misdemeanors. The rights groups say it also applies to the state prison system.
    Ton was picked up Monday

by a private government contractor in what immigrant groups contend is a violation of federal law, his attorney said. Newsom this year vetoed a bill that would have blocked private companies from picking up paroled immigrants in California.

In an unrelated parole action, Newsomrecently announced that he is denying the parole of Stanley “Little Tookie” Williams IV, son of Crips co-founder “Tookie” Williams. The son, also a Crip, is serving a 16 years-to-life sentence for second-degree murder in the slaying of a rival gang member, a 20-year-old woman in Los Angeles, when he was 18.
    Williams has not demonstrated that he understands his “triggers for future violence” nor sufficiently abandoned gang life, Newsom wrote.
    His father was executed in 2005 for the murders of four people in in Los Angeles despite celebrity support for a stay. He had asserted his innocence, saying he had dropped out of the notorious gang, regretted helping to form it, and written books designed to deter youth from gang life.
    California’s mosr recent execution came about a month later. Newsom has declared a moratorium on executions while he is governor.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is why California isn't taken seriously anymore. The man is a murderer. He wasn't picked up for jaywalking or a small retail theft or personal use of marijuana. It's gang murder. And yet people are screaming about his possible deportation.
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

3. Likes scott, 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    This is why California isn't taken seriously anymore. The man is a murderer. He wasn't picked up for jaywalking or a small retail theft or personal use of marijuana. It's gang murder. And yet people are screaming about his possible deportation.
    Dozens!
    “It is a bit embarrassing to have been concerned with the human problem all one's life and find at the end that one has no more to offer by way of advice than 'Try to be a little kinder.'”

~ Aldous Huxley

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    Dozens!
    The Asian Law Caucus has a $6m annual budget. It's one of the largest community action civil rights organization in the country. Do you have anything other than inaccurate snark in response to this article? There was a time when you could see an issue and have an honest conversation about it. I'm truly sorry that time has passed, at least on this forum.
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

6. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Asian Law Caucus has a $6m annual budget. It's one of the largest community action civil rights organization in the country. Do you have anything other than inaccurate snark in response to this article? There was a time when you could see an issue and have an honest conversation about it. I'm truly sorry that time has passed, at least on this forum.
    Oh, bullshit. I'm one of the few here capable of an honest conversation. I try to often and just get crap like Adam pissing his pants over the use of a dictionary when trying to define words. I remember when you were capable of honest conversations as well but since you joined the Trump Folk, you have lost your desire for such things.

But I'll try to see if you are serious.

This is why California isn't taken seriously anymore.
    The State of California was the entity that cooperated with ICE.

From your post (I cannot access the story):

Dozens of people rallied last month on the lawn of the state Capitol in support of Ton and others from Southeast Asia who face possible deportation.

In a state with the largest population in the nation, you got dozens to protest the actions, of the State of California. And even then, if your blurb is accurate, it is a general advocacy to stop a particular type of cooperation between the State of California and ICE and not a specific protest about the individual in question.

As far as an advocacy group petitioning the government for redress of grievance, this one isn't even close to being the worst example.
    “It is a bit embarrassing to have been concerned with the human problem all one's life and find at the end that one has no more to offer by way of advice than 'Try to be a little kinder.'”

~ Aldous Huxley

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, bullshit. I'm one of the few here capable of an honest conversation. I try to often and just get crap like Adam pissing his pants over the use of a dictionary when trying to define words. I remember when you were capable of honest conversations as well but since you joined the Trump Folk, you have lost your desire for such things.

But I'll try to see if you are serious.

The State of California was the entity that cooperated with ICE.

From your post (I cannot access the story):

In a state with the largest population in the nation, you got dozens to protest the actions, of the State of California. And even then, if your blurb is accurate, it is a general advocacy to stop a particular type of cooperation between the State of California and ICE and not a specific protest about the individual in question.

As far as an advocacy group petitioning the government for redress of grievance, this one isn't even close to being the worst example.
    A 2017 California law bars local and state agencies from cooperating with immigration authorities involving cases against those who have committed certain crimes, mostly misdemeanors. The rights groups say it also applies to the state prison system.
    Please, feel free to have a conversation without snark. Try it. Try having a conversation with "us" instead of just looking for opportunities to troll. It's tiresome. As for your "accusations" that I've joined "The Trump folk"...keep hanging on to that. It's at least not the most dishonest thing you've posted about me.
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    The national group Asian Americans Advancing Justice - Asian Law Caucus, founded in 1972, is in a current fight with Governor Newsome about the State of California's prison system cooperating with ICE on deportation cases. There was a bill, AB1282, that the governor vetoed which would have outlawed the cooperation.

If the Asian Law Caucus claim you posted were true, and the protections in place for removable aliens accused of misdemeanors extended to the California prison system in general regardless of the class of crime, then the law was superfluous. This leads me to believe that the Asian Law Caucus is wrong and our federal government, as well as the state government of California, is free to not take their grievance seriously.

~ Aldous Huxley

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    The national group Asian Americans Advancing Justice - Asian Law Caucus, founded in 1972, is in a current fight with Governor Newsome about the State of California's prison system cooperating with ICE on deportation cases. There was a bill, AB1282, that the governor vetoed which would have outlawed the cooperation.

If the Asian Law Caucus claim you posted were true, and the protections in place for removable aliens accused of misdemeanors extended to the California prison system in general regardless of the class of crime, then the law was superfluous. This leads me to believe that the Asian Law Caucus is wrong and our federal government, as well as the state government of California, is free to not take their grievance seriously.
    Yes, I agree that the Asian Law Caucus group was/is wrong.
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Today @ 2:01 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please, feel free to have a conversation without snark. Try it. Try having a conversation with "us" instead of just looking for opportunities to troll. It's tiresome. As for your "accusations" that I've joined "The Trump folk"...keep hanging on to that. It's at least not the most dishonest thing you've posted about me.
    He reveals himself with his accusations
    If it pays, it stays