Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Government Screwed Another Veteran Again - but 20 years later...

Last Online
    Today @ 8:28 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

The Government Screwed Another Veteran Again - but 20 years later...

How the fuck does this happen?

11 years to determine the merits of firing a postal worker for military service?

In 2011, after protracted legal proceedings, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit overturned the board’s decision. Then in 2014, the Merit Systems Protection Board ordered the Postal Service to reinstate Erickson and award him nearly 14 years of lost wages and benefits. “I answered the call of duty and served my country — and I got fired for it,” Erickson told the Los Angeles Times at the time.
    3 years from the ruling to the government agency to actually do something to comply? With a Federal Court ruling?

Five years later, Erickson’s attorney, Mathew B. Tully, said the Postal Service had still not reinstated his client. Tully said the service repeatedly cited letters being sent to outdated mailing addresses as proof that it was attempting to contact Erickson. “This is the most egregious case of USERRA violation in the history of the federal government,” Tully said.
    5 years after being ordered to reinstate him and the POST OFFICE can't send him a notification letter? They couldn't figure out where his bank statements were being sent? Heck one of the best ways to locate someone is to give them a magazine subscription, wait 6 months and then call the publisher customer service saying you want to renew your gift. They'll send you confirmation that your gift has been processed, with the current address. The post office knows this, they made the rules.

THIS is what's wrong with government. This, right here. This is a bureaucracy protecting incompetence and/or malice. Fucking over someone who was injured in combat. Good job.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...s2HAQ.facebook
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

2. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    How the fuck does this happen?

11 years to determine the merits of firing a postal worker for military service?

3 years from the ruling to the government agency to actually do something to comply? With a Federal Court ruling?

5 years after being ordered to reinstate him and the POST OFFICE can't send him a notification letter? They couldn't figure out where his bank statements were being sent? Heck one of the best ways to locate someone is to give them a magazine subscription, wait 6 months and then call the publisher customer service saying you want to renew your gift. They'll send you confirmation that your gift has been processed, with the current address. The post office knows this, they made the rules.

THIS is what's wrong with government. This, right here. This is a bureaucracy protecting incompetence and/or malice. Fucking over someone who was injured in combat. Good job.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...s2HAQ.facebook
    The Postal Service is notorious for its lousy treatment of employees. Period. They break every rule, and the union that represents the employees is toothless.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Today @ 8:28 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott commenting on Celeste Chalfonte's post View Post
    The Postal Service is notorious for its lousy treatment of employees. Period. They break every rule, and the union that represents the employees is toothless inept and complacent.
    Why is this tolerated? You say the union is toothless. So why are they there? Oh that's right, union representation is supposed to be some sort of advocacy. Why are they toothless?
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    Why is this tolerated? You say the union is toothless. So why are they there? Oh that's right, union representation is supposed to be some sort of advocacy. Why are they toothless?
    If I recall correctly, it's what used to be called a "house union." It's basically a bargaining agent created by the employer to forestall the organization of an industry by an actual, independent union. The Bell system had one too.

USPS is a hybrid creature, a "quasi-governmental agency," and I believe the union is sort of a quasi-union. It does not, IIRC, have bargaining power over all the terms and conditions of employment that other unions have.

In short, it does not surprise me that USPS broke the law and treated this employee badly. It's not because he's military; it's what they do.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 7:27 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    If I recall correctly, it's what used to be called a "house union." It's basically a bargaining agent created by the employer to forestall the organization of an industry by an actual, independent union. The Bell system had one too.

USPS is a hybrid creature, a "quasi-governmental agency," and I believe the union is sort of a quasi-union. It does not, IIRC, have bargaining power over all the terms and conditions of employment that other unions have.

In short, it does not surprise me that USPS broke the law and treated this employee badly. It's not because he's military; it's what they do.
    My wife works for the federal government, and also belongs to a union. She pays a couple of bucks a month to belong to it, IIRC. She has been there about 15 years and I don't remember any meetings, etc. Nothing. I mean other than the couple of bucks a month.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    My wife works for the federal government, and also belongs to a union. She pays a couple of bucks a month to belong to it, IIRC. She has been there about 15 years and I don't remember any meetings, etc. Nothing. I mean other than the couple of bucks a month.
    OK. Was there a point to that?

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 19th, 2020 @ 2:30 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I may be reading more into this than is actually there, but I think that he's saying that his wife's union is essentially little more than the local Lions' Club: a bunch of people who kick in a few bucks each month and maybe they have a nice Christmas mixer each year, but they're hardly the UAW holding GM by the short-and-curlies over wage negotiations every time a contract comes up.

In short, I think that he's agreeing with you about the "toothlessness" of the postal workers' union.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

9. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I may be reading more into this than is actually there, but I think that he's saying that his wife's union is essentially little more than the local Lions' Club: a bunch of people who kick in a few bucks each month and maybe they have a nice Christmas mixer each year, but they're hardly the UAW holding GM by the short-and-curlies over wage negotiations every time a contract comes up.

In short, I think that he's agreeing with you about the "toothlessness" of the postal workers' union.
    Depends on the government agency, depends on the union. The USPS has always been a strange entity. I don't know if any federal employees have meaningful representation; I've never worked for the feds, and I never practiced federal workers' comp law.

All CA state employees have the option of being union members. Almost all are covered by a bargaining unit, whether they join the union or not, so they benefit from union representation. Ours does a fine job, just got a nice retro raise (with the change of governor, the state backed away from all the stuff that Brown had already negotiated, so we were working without a contract since July 1) and a better deal on the employer part of our health insurance premiums. I'm happy.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 7:27 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. I was agreeing with you. Its pretty much a union in name only.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    Yeah. I was agreeing with you. Its pretty much a union in name only.
    I have no idea about the effectiveness of your wife's union, but whether or not it holds meetings doesn't tell me it's a union in name only. It may be, but lots of ineffective organizations hold many and interminable meetings.