Thread: Sorry, Tom Hanks and Oprah: Americans think Amazon and Google are much more trustworthy

Last Online
    Today @ 5:33 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Tom Hanks and Oprah: Americans think Amazon and Google are much more trustworthy

01-13-2011:56 AM
    Sorry, Tom Hanks and Oprah: Americans think Amazon and Google are much more trustworthy

BY ARIANNE COHEN

This just in: Tom Hanks and Oprah have been trounced in a large-scale survey of trustworthiness by . . . Amazon and Google. Yes, Americans think giant tech companies are much more likely to “do the right thing” than the man who was just nominated for an Oscar for playing Mr. Rogers.

The nationwide survey, released this morning by Morning Consult, found that the most trusted brands in America are: USPS, Amazon, Google, PayPal, The Weather Channel, Chick-fil-A, Hershey, UPS, Cheerios, and M&Ms. It is, however, a contest of mediocrity, as no brands were found to be particularly trustworthy, with these 10 brands garnering stamps of approval from just 34-42% of Americans.

Gen Zers are entirely not drinking the Kool-Aid. The survey found them to be distrustful of all things capitalist: corporate America, brands, and companies. They are also conscious of corporate behavior and likely to not purchase from a reliable company that they feel is run unethically. This is a stark contrast from the nearly two-thirds of baby boomers who trust most companies as their default position; half support reliable companies regardless of ethics.

In summary, we are a nation of skeptical capitalists. Just 15% of Americans believe that religious leaders will do the right thing, and just 5% trust Wall Street. Hollywood was the least trusted of institutions at 4%.

As for Tom Hanks and Oprah? They scored 34% and 24%, respectively, compared to Amazon’s 39% and Google’s 38%. Check out the full rankings and download the report from Morning Consult.
    I think Gen Z hasn't really entered into the fray of consumer behavior. You can choose a soft drink or choose a grocery store but you can't really vet every supplier and contractor involved in the production and transportation chain of any company. There's the image of ethics but that's mostly marketing.

I don't "trust" any entity particularly. I look for high value, reliability, and decent customer service. Hollywood obviously falls pretty low on that list despite me consuming a lot of their product. I've never understood celebrity branding. I can despise a celebrity in terms of their unwanted lecturing and still admire their professional work just as I can like a celebrity point of view but reject all their professional offerings.

Fast Company
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cherrios are probably the most trustworthy, seeing as how they advocate sugar and milk on them.

Last Online
    Today @ 5:33 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Cherrios are probably the most trustworthy, seeing as how they advocate sugar and milk on them.
    The only breakfast cereal I can gag down is plain Cherrios with whole milk - no added stuff and that only under pressure (staying at a friend's house, for instance). I would never purchase any unless I was making some random bird food thing with peanut butter.

I still wouldn't trust General Mills.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."