Thread: Man requests 'trial by combat' with Japanese swords to settle dispute with Iowa ex-wife

Last Online
    Today @ 5:33 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Man requests 'trial by combat' with Japanese swords to settle dispute with Iowa ex-wife

Man requests 'trial by combat' with Japanese swords to settle dispute with Iowa ex-wife
    Anna Spoerre, Des Moines Register
    Published 4:07 p.m. CT Jan. 13, 2020 | Updated 1:41 p.m. CT Jan. 14, 2020

A Kansas man has asked an Iowa court to grant his motion for trial by combat so he can meet his ex-wife and her attorney "on the field of battle where (he) will rend their souls from their corporal bodies."

David Ostrom, 40, of Paola, Kansas, claims in court documents that his ex-wife, Bridgette Ostrom, 38, of Harlan, has "destroyed (him) legally."

He asked the Iowa District Court in Shelby County to give him 12 weeks "lead time" in order to source or forge katana and wakizashi swords, as first reported by the Carroll Times Herald.

"To this day, trial by combat has never been explicitly banned or restricted as a right in these United States," Ostrom argues in court records, adding that it was used "as recently as 1818 in British Court."

When reached by phone Monday, Ostrom told the Des Moines Register that he got the idea after learning about a 2016 case in which New York Supreme Court Justice Philip Minardo acknowledged that duels had not been abolished.

Ostrom said the motion stemmed from his frustrations with his ex-wife's attorney, Matthew Hudson of Harlan.

"I think I've met Mr. Hudson's absurdity with my own absurdity," he said.

Ostrom, who said he plans to request the same mediation tactic for any other disputes that may arise in court, added that his ex-wife can choose her attorney as a "champion," or stand-in fighter.

Hudson filed a resistance to the trial by combat motion by first correcting Ostrom's spelling.

"Surely (Ostrom) meant 'corporeal' bodies which Merriam Webster defines as having, consisting of, or relating to, a physical material body," the attorney wrote. "Although (Ostrom) and potential combatant do have souls to be rended, they respectfully request that the court not order this done."
    Really, this is an idea whose time may have come again.

Des Moines Register
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Today @ 10:48 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've long said that we should probably bring back dueling.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Today @ 5:53 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    They winner will make a fortune on the PPV cable rights
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Today @ 3:44 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    There can be only one.
    I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.

5. Likes Gingersnap liked this post