Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump to roll back Michelle Obama's school lunch rules on vegetables, fruits

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 5:54 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    Whatever. Find something worth discussing other than Trump trolling the Obamas.
    I'm guessing your child didn't come home hungry because Michele's school lunches were inedible.

So, hey, it didn't affect you any, right?
    “I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.”

The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daveman View Post
    I'm guessing your child didn't come home hungry because Michele's school lunches were inedible.

So, hey, it didn't affect you any, right?
    No child truly left school hungry because of a bad lunch. My mother packed me a frozen yogurt (fruit on the bottom kind) that sat in my locker for 4 hours defrosting before I took it to the cafeteria and chucked it. I used the quarter she gave me for a drink to buy an ice cream bar instead. Sure, one ice cream bar or little debbie oatmeal creme filled cookie for the day was probably not really the kind of nutrition a 16 year old should be having for the day. I made choices. Sometimes they were bad. If I were truly "hungry" I would have eaten the damn yogurt and/or the pickled eggs she sent with me to school.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

3. Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 2:28 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    From one bitch to another.
    See? That's more fun than the tone-scold. You're self-negating when you do both.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    No child truly left school hungry because of a bad lunch. My mother packed me a frozen yogurt (fruit on the bottom kind) that sat in my locker for 4 hours defrosting before I took it to the cafeteria and chucked it. I used the quarter she gave me for a drink to buy an ice cream bar instead. Sure, one ice cream bar or little debbie oatmeal creme filled cookie for the day was probably not really the kind of nutrition a 16 year old should be having for the day. I made choices. Sometimes they were bad. If I were truly "hungry" I would have eaten the damn yogurt and/or the pickled eggs she sent with me to school.
    Like you, I didn't bother with lunch in high school. I had a diet soda and maybe an apple unless we were leaving school for fast food. At least it was my own money I was wasting!

Had I been seriously hungry instead of vain, there was plenty of stuff I could have brought from home or begged off my friends or some boy. As a last resort, my school had the milk-apple-cheese sandwich trio for the really desperate.

We usually qualified for the free/discount lunches but none of us asked to be signed up. The folks would have had a fit since we were perfectly capable of making our own cheese sandwiches.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Like you, I didn't bother with lunch in high school. I had a diet soda and maybe an apple unless we were leaving school for fast food. At least it was my own money I was wasting!

Had I been seriously hungry instead of vain, there was plenty of stuff I could have brought from home or begged off my friends or some boy. As a last resort, my school had the milk-apple-cheese sandwich trio for the really desperate.

We usually qualified for the free/discount lunches but none of us asked to be signed up. The folks would have had a fit since we were perfectly capable of making our own cheese sandwiches.
    When my mother coukd no longer afford to give us the quarter, she asked if we wanted to sign up for the free lunch. We declined. There really wasn't food at home to bring and my brothers lunch became our responsibility. That was 2 dollars a day. My sister and I took turns paying for it.
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

7. Thanks 80zephyr thanked for this post
    Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    When my mother coukd no longer afford to give us the quarter, she asked if we wanted to sign up for the free lunch. We declined. There really wasn't food at home to bring and my brothers lunch became our responsibility. That was 2 dollars a day. My sister and I took turns paying for it.
    You're a better woman than I am. I would have shoved a couple of pancakes soaked in Karo syrup at my brothers had I been tasked with that. (Not even my mother was stupid enough to trust my brothers' lunches to me, thankfully.)

That was our standard 'poor food' when things got tight. I have never eaten a pancake since.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aww, sweet. My oldest sister made all of our lunches but my brother, who was the oldest child, made our breakfast. My mom was the baker so they had plenty to work with. Although, sometimes the sandwich was just butter and a berry preserve which was still yummy. Probably where I got my sweet tooth from...thanks, mom!
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

10. Likes phillygirl liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Aww, sweet. My oldest sister made all of our lunches but my brother, who was the oldest child, made our breakfast. My mom was the baker so they had plenty to work with. Although, sometimes the sandwich was just butter and a berry preserve which was still yummy. Probably where I got my sweet tooth from...thanks, mom!
    Not really sweet, honestly. It was just our job. Giving him lunch money was our responsibility. When I was finished law school my mom didn't charge me rent that first year, so long as I gave my brother money when I could, which was mostly when he came home a few times a year once he went away for college. It's just what you did. Like your family...you took care of what you needed to.
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

12. Likes scott, Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 1:21 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bologna sandwichs. Every day. Cheap stuff. No store-bought money-eating school lunches. Or tomatoe-mayo sandwiches.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Bologna sandwichs. Every day. Cheap stuff. No store-bought money-eating school lunches. Or tomatoe-mayo sandwiches.
    Actually the school lunches were pretty cheap, since they are subsidized. Yes, home made lunches save money, but the school lunches were a pretty decent bargain. When I was in school the "platter" (hot meal with milk, white or chocolate) was 50 cents. I don't remember how much a bowl of soup was, but I assume around a quarter. The problem in my house during our poverty times was that we often didn't have bread. I'm sure there was some money for it, but with a single mom working 3 jobs, getting to the grocery store was an issue. And since she wasn't home when we left for school in the morning, it would have been up to us to make the lunches. We weren't the best at getting ourselves up early enough to do that, so giving my brother $2 was a better option for my sister and me. What do you expect from unsupervised 16 year olds?
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

15. Likes Gingersnap, Michele liked this post