Thread: Portion of US border wall in California falls over in high winds and lands on Mexican side

Last Online
    Thursday, February 20th, 2020 @ 5:44 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Portion of US border wall in California falls over in high winds and lands on Mexican side

Portion of US border wall in California falls over in high winds and lands on Mexican side

Newly installed panels from the US border wall fell over in high winds Wednesday, landing on trees on the Mexican side of the border.

The area is part of an ongoing construction project to improve existing sections of the wall.
    Agent Carlos Pitones of the Customs and Border Protection sector in El Centro, California, told CNN that the sections that gave way had recently been set in a new concrete foundation in Calexico, California. The concrete had not yet cured, according to Pitones, and the wall panels were unable to withstand the windy conditions.

The National Weather Service reports that winds in the area gusted as high as 37 mph Wednesday. Video from CNN affiliate KYMA shows the metal panels leaning against trees adjacent to a Mexicali, Mexico, street as the wind whips up dirt from the construction site on the other side of the border.
    "I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and Iíll build them very inexpensively, I will build a great, great wall on our southern border. And I will have Mexico pay for that wall.

Mark my words."
    -Donald J. Trump
    June 16, 2015

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clearly the deterrent is the fear that a portion will fall on you while you try to climb over it.

Maybe it'd be safer to dig a tunnel.
    ďAny sufficiently advanced capitalism is indistinguishable from rent seeking.Ē ~ =j

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Concrete does not cure and set instantly like it does in a Bugs Bunny cartoon; it's Trump's fault.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Today @ 1:51 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Concrete does not cure and set instantly like it does in a Bugs Bunny cartoon; it's Trump's fault.
    It takes 28 days for concrete to fully cure. Be that as it may, the wall should have been braced until it was strong enough on its own. The contractor should be held liable.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. Itís the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

5. Likes Tom Servo, Celeste Chalfonte, scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    It takes 28 days for concrete to fully cure. Be that as it may, the wall should have been braced until it was strong enough on its own. The contractor should be held liable.

Mark
    Indeed it should have. The contractor screwed the pooch here, to be sure. OTOH, I do have to wonder how one does bracing on the Mexican side of the wall. It's not exactly like you can just stick some 2X4s into the wall at an angle and expect them to be un-molested for a month while the concrete sets.

But, that't the contractor's problem. They certainly should make this right, or else be made to make this right.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Today @ 1:51 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Indeed it should have. The contractor screwed the pooch here, to be sure. OTOH, I do have to wonder how one does bracing on the Mexican side of the wall. It's not exactly like you can just stick some 2X4s into the wall at an angle and expect them to be un-molested for a month while the concrete sets.

But, that't the contractor's problem. They certainly should make this right, or else be made to make this right.
    There are ways to do it. As for the position of the wall itself, I have always heard that there was a "buffer" of US land on the Mexican side of the wall. Maybe not?

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. Itís the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    There are ways to do it. As for the position of the wall itself, I have always heard that there was a "buffer" of US land on the Mexican side of the wall. Maybe not?

Mark
    I suppose that there has to be some "buffer" in a lot of these areas, since much of that part of the border is defined by the Rio Grande. I can't help but bemuse myself at the thought of someone ultimately walling themselves off on the Mexican side of the wall.

D'OH!

Last Online
    Today @ 1:17 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps God is knocking down the wall.