Thread: OK, odd/interesting (depending upon your perspective) question

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:29 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, odd/interesting (depending upon your perspective) question

I have no idea why I just now thought about this, but now that I have, I have to ask.

We've all seen TV footage for as long as we've been alive of Marines snapping to and saluting as the President approaches Marine One on the south lawn or whatever. This isn't unique, but it's the most common example I can think of that everyone can relate to. Makes sense to me: the Commander-in-Chief at least ostensibly holds the highest rank, and thus would be saluted. When my buddy graduated from Annapolis, Al Gore was VP and the entire graduating class all did the same when he came onto the stage on that football field. The VP isn't CiC, but presumably is afforded a similar deference.

During the SOTU, Sgt. Williams (Wilson?) was introduced, and he sort of waved to the gallery, and at one point Trump turned to him and said "Thank you, Sergeant" (or something at least similar). He waved some more and sat with his wife and kids. But he didn't salute even though he had been addressed directly by the President.

Then I started thinking about it more. I realized that, for example, the Joint Chiefs don't salute during the SOTU, either. And that's not just this time: I can't find a time when they have saluted in the past, either. Same goes for other military that have been at the SOTU over the years.

So now I'm curious if there is some sort of protocol that one doesn't salute the President indoors? Sort of like one doesn't wear a cover under a roof? Or is there something else that I'm missing here?
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:34 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    A salute indoors is rendered only when reporting to an officer.
    https://www.military.com/join-armed-...ourtesies.html
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

3. Thanks Tom Servo, Newman thanked for this post
    Likes daveman liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:29 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

5. Likes scott liked this post