Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Hunting is ‘slowly dying off,’

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 8:09 PM
    Posts
    15,682
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    What does that have to do with going for a walk? Hoping to not get gunned down?
    As poorly as you speak of the Spanish speaking people you live among I would think you have a better chance of getting gunned down in your neighborhood than in the woods. Just sayin'.
    If it pays, it stays

  2. Likes Celeste Chalfonte liked this post
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Sunday, November 10th, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 6:12 PM
    Posts
    1,032
    Post Thanks / Like
    Going off the purely anecdotal evidence of my co-workers, I don't see hunting decreasing. I am the only one of 5 in my section who doesn't hunt. (I've never been interested; it's always seemed like an expensive way to be uncomfortable.)

    One guy has an elk skull & rack he collected in New Mexico a few years ago hanging on the wall over his desk, the arrow he killed it with hanging on the rack, plus a few deer skulls. He's an avid turkey bow hunter. Another guy is planning an elk bow hunt with his dad to Colorado this summer. My team leader, she likes to hunt squirrels. Most everybody at the project looking to purchase land is doing so with an eye towards hunting.
    “I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

    "I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

    "I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.”

    The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 8:09 PM
    Posts
    15,682
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daveman View Post
    Going off the purely anecdotal evidence of my co-workers, I don't see hunting decreasing. I am the only one of 5 in my section who doesn't hunt. (I've never been interested; it's always seemed like an expensive way to be uncomfortable.)

    One guy has an elk skull & rack he collected in New Mexico a few years ago hanging on the wall over his desk, the arrow he killed it with hanging on the rack, plus a few deer skulls. He's an avid turkey bow hunter. Another guy is planning an elk bow hunt with his dad to Colorado this summer. My team leader, she likes to hunt squirrels. Most everybody at the project looking to purchase land is doing so with an eye towards hunting.
    I wish you were right but unfortunately hunter's ranks are dwindling.
    If it pays, it stays

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Saturday, October 5th, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In the mainstream of American life.
    Posts
    16,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daveman View Post
    Going off the purely anecdotal evidence of my co-workers, I don't see hunting decreasing. I am the only one of 5 in my section who doesn't hunt. (I've never been interested; it's always seemed like an expensive way to be uncomfortable.)

    One guy has an elk skull & rack he collected in New Mexico a few years ago hanging on the wall over his desk, the arrow he killed it with hanging on the rack, plus a few deer skulls. He's an avid turkey bow hunter. Another guy is planning an elk bow hunt with his dad to Colorado this summer. My team leader, she likes to hunt squirrels. Most everybody at the project looking to purchase land is doing so with an eye towards hunting.
    The bolded.

    I would like to know how to hunt and prepare wild game, just because it would be a useful skill if the big one comes, but I'm not willing to freeze, put up with bugs, or endure the other discomforts attendant on hunting, just to learn. I've picked up a lot of the theory just reading about it here. I hope I would figure it out if the need arose.
    "Think as I think," said a man,
    "Or you are abominably wicked;
    You are a toad."
    And after I had thought of it,
    I said: "I will, then, be a toad." - Stephen Crane

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 8:09 PM
    Posts
    15,682
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    The bolded.

    I would like to know how to hunt and prepare wild game, just because it would be a useful skill if the big one comes, but I'm not willing to freeze, put up with bugs, or endure the other discomforts attendant on hunting, just to learn. I've picked up a lot of the theory just reading about it here. I hope I would figure it out if the need arose.
    Seriously?

    You don't think there will be cold, bugs, or discomfort involved in survival after "the big one"?
    If it pays, it stays

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 8:09 PM
    Posts
    15,682
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    The bolded.

    I would like to know how to hunt and prepare wild game, just because it would be a useful skill if the big one comes, but I'm not willing to freeze, put up with bugs, or endure the other discomforts attendant on hunting, just to learn. I've picked up a lot of the theory just reading about it here. I hope I would figure it out if the need arose.
    If Joyce or I draw DC485 (Caribou) you are welcome to come up and learn. We will be happy to sit back and tell you what to do.
    If it pays, it stays

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Saturday, October 5th, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In the mainstream of American life.
    Posts
    16,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    Seriously?

    You don't think there will be cold, bugs, or discomfort involved in survival after "the big one"?
    Oh, I'm sure there will be. And I'll wait, thanks.
    "Think as I think," said a man,
    "Or you are abominably wicked;
    You are a toad."
    And after I had thought of it,
    I said: "I will, then, be a toad." - Stephen Crane

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Sunday, November 10th, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 6:12 PM
    Posts
    1,032
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    I wish you were right but unfortunately hunter's ranks are dwindling.
    I just wish y'all would shoot more deer. Damn things run out in front of me all the time.
    “I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

    "I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

    "I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.”

    The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Sunday, November 10th, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 6:12 PM
    Posts
    1,032
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    The bolded.

    I would like to know how to hunt and prepare wild game, just because it would be a useful skill if the big one comes, but I'm not willing to freeze, put up with bugs, or endure the other discomforts attendant on hunting, just to learn. I've picked up a lot of the theory just reading about it here. I hope I would figure it out if the need arose.
    When the need arises, you'll be competing with all the other people trying to figure it out, too. Gonna be crowded -- and dangerous.
    “I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

    "I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

    "I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.”

    The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 8:09 PM
    Posts
    15,682
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daveman View Post
    I just wish y'all would shoot more deer. Damn things run out in front of me all the time.
    Get back to me when a 1,000 pound Moose runs in front of you.
    If it pays, it stays

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •