Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting is ‘slowly dying off,’

Last Online
    Today @ 8:09 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    What does that have to do with going for a walk? Hoping to not get gunned down?
    As poorly as you speak of the Spanish speaking people you live among I would think you have a better chance of getting gunned down in your neighborhood than in the woods. Just sayin'.
    If it pays, it stays

2. Likes Celeste Chalfonte liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 6:12 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Going off the purely anecdotal evidence of my co-workers, I don't see hunting decreasing. I am the only one of 5 in my section who doesn't hunt. (I've never been interested; it's always seemed like an expensive way to be uncomfortable.)

One guy has an elk skull & rack he collected in New Mexico a few years ago hanging on the wall over his desk, the arrow he killed it with hanging on the rack, plus a few deer skulls. He's an avid turkey bow hunter. Another guy is planning an elk bow hunt with his dad to Colorado this summer. My team leader, she likes to hunt squirrels. Most everybody at the project looking to purchase land is doing so with an eye towards hunting.
    “I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.”

The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daveman View Post
    Going off the purely anecdotal evidence of my co-workers, I don't see hunting decreasing. I am the only one of 5 in my section who doesn't hunt. (I've never been interested; it's always seemed like an expensive way to be uncomfortable.)

One guy has an elk skull & rack he collected in New Mexico a few years ago hanging on the wall over his desk, the arrow he killed it with hanging on the rack, plus a few deer skulls. He's an avid turkey bow hunter. Another guy is planning an elk bow hunt with his dad to Colorado this summer. My team leader, she likes to hunt squirrels. Most everybody at the project looking to purchase land is doing so with an eye towards hunting.
    I wish you were right but unfortunately hunter's ranks are dwindling.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

The bolded.

I would like to know how to hunt and prepare wild game, just because it would be a useful skill if the big one comes, but I'm not willing to freeze, put up with bugs, or endure the other discomforts attendant on hunting, just to learn. I've picked up a lot of the theory just reading about it here. I hope I would figure it out if the need arose.
    "Think as I think," said a man,
    "Or you are abominably wicked;
    You are a toad."
    And after I had thought of it,
    I said: "I will, then, be a toad." - Stephen Crane

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    The bolded.

I would like to know how to hunt and prepare wild game, just because it would be a useful skill if the big one comes, but I'm not willing to freeze, put up with bugs, or endure the other discomforts attendant on hunting, just to learn. I've picked up a lot of the theory just reading about it here. I hope I would figure it out if the need arose.
    Seriously?

You don't think there will be cold, bugs, or discomfort involved in survival after "the big one"?
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bolded.

If Joyce or I draw DC485 (Caribou) you are welcome to come up and learn. We will be happy to sit back and tell you what to do.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    Seriously?

You don't think there will be cold, bugs, or discomfort involved in survival after "the big one"?
    Oh, I'm sure there will be. And I'll wait, thanks.
    "Think as I think," said a man,
    "Or you are abominably wicked;
    You are a toad."
    And after I had thought of it,
    I said: "I will, then, be a toad." - Stephen Crane

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    I wish you were right but unfortunately hunter's ranks are dwindling.
    I just wish y'all would shoot more deer. Damn things run out in front of me all the time.
    “I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.”

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bolded.

When the need arises, you'll be competing with all the other people trying to figure it out, too. Gonna be crowded -- and dangerous.
    I aim with my eye.

I shoot with my mind.

I kill with my heart.”

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just wish y'all would shoot more deer. Damn things run out in front of me all the time.
    Get back to me when a 1,000 pound Moose runs in front of you.
    If it pays, it stays