Thread: Fisherman breaks state record with monster 37-pound lake trout

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 3:08 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Fisherman breaks state record with monster 37-pound lake trout

Fisherman breaks state record with monster 37-pound lake trout
    By Alicia Lee, CNN

Updated 8:43 PM ET, Sun March 1, 2020

Thomas Knight with the enormous lake trout that broke New Hampshire's 62-year-old state record for the largest lake trout.

(CNN)When Thomas Knight set out on the ice to go fishing for lake trout, he was determined to haul in a big one. He came prepared with an 11-inch sucker because big bait attracts big fish, he said.

But what he reeled in was bigger than anything he could have imagined.

Knight, of Meredith, New Hampshire, caught a lake trout last Tuesday that weighed in at 37.65 pounds, easily breaking the state record that was more than 60 years old.

The previous record was 28 pounds set in 1958. Usually, records are broken by a couple ounces, but Knight's fish shattered the record by more than nine pounds.

And before he even reeled it in, he knew it was going to be massive. "The line was so tight, it got so thin and the adrenaline was full blown," Knight told CNN. "You just do everything you can to not break the line and you try to tire the fish out."

After catching the fish, he immediately packed it in an ice box with snow and called the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department.

Fisheries biologist Andy Schafermeyer arrived at the scene to help certify the record. "I'm not sure who was more excited," Schafermeyer told New Hampshire Fish and Game. "I knew the fish stood a very good chance of breaking the record."

When they placed the fish on a certified scale, it quickly surpassed the scale's maximum weight of 30 pounds. So the two searched for a larger scale, and once they found one, they confirmed that the trout weighed 37.65 pounds.

"This fish is now the largest lake trout caught in all of New England," Schafermeyer said. "I'm glad he got it, this couldn't have happened to a nicer guy."
    I have corn meal and I know how to use it along with cast iron skillets. I am standing by.

CNN
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

2. Likes daveman liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 7:23 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    It'd prolly taste better than this guy.

Monster 106-pound Asian Silver Carp landed on Lake Barkley

Giant-Asian-Silver-Carp.jpg

Grand Rivers – It is perhaps the catch of a life-time for 84-year-old Bill Schroeder of Paducah. Tuesday, he landed a Silver Asian Carp that weighed 106 pounds and was 4.5 feet long. It took him one hour and 45 minutes to land the fish after it pulled his 20-foot long bass boat an estimated distance of 3 miles from Kentucky Lake to Lake Barkley through the canal that connects the two giant lakes.

Schroeder who has a reputation as a big bass fisherman and has fished in many local bass tournaments on both lakes was bass fishing in Kentucky Lake when he foul hooked the monster fish. The battle with the fish drew quite a crowd of onlookers, according to Tom Moodie of Green Turtle Bay Resort on Lake Barkley in Grand Rivers.

In the end, the fish was so large Schroeder could not boat it alone. Another man who remains unknown climbed into Schroeder’s bass boat and helped him hoist the behemoth fish into the boat. According to Moodie, the second fisherman who helped Schroeder was catfishing at the time and after getting the fish into the boat he left.

Moodie said he has fished for Silver Asian Carp many times and enjoys eating them but he has never seen a Silver Asian Carp that large and that they normally top out in weight at about 30 pounds. He explained their cousins, the Big Head Carp, routinely reach weights of about 70 pounds. Moodie said, “Normally you don’t see them this big.”

There may be a new normal on the lakes. Moodie expressed his concern about the fish by saying Asian Silver Carp are a schooling fish and he said, “There could have been a thousand fish in that school.” Meaning many of the fish in that school would be expected to be of a large size.

Both Asian Silver Carp and Big Head Carp are vegetarian — they are plant eaters. Schroeder inadvertently foul-hooked the huge fish while casting for bass on Kentucky Lake. Moodie said Schroeder’s fish just showed how many fish are in the lake and how large they and the schools they congregate in can grow.

“I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.”

The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

Last Online
    Today @ 1:19 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never liked lake trout much for eating.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 3:08 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    Never liked lake trout much for eating.
    I actually doubt the record fish is all that tasty. I've caught a ton of trout from various locations, different food sources, and many ages/sizes (nothing close to that monster, though) and I think the ones at the legal limit or a bit above are the best. When they get too big, they are just not as tasty.

Everybody in my family was mad for fishing so I have eaten a lot of lake/river fish. We always had so much in the freezer that it was a common breakfast during many months at my house.

Never discount the magical qualities of bacon grease and highly seasoned cornmeal.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

6. Likes scott, daveman liked this post