Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Quarantine Food

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    The broth is just amazing with this stew. We really like the Penn Cove mussels which are grown and harvested up on the island. But the market had none the day we were there so we had to do with just steamers...which we also like. No fish head either or bones so I just used the skin. Now that I think of it, there's an Italian bouillabaisse of sorts...isn't there?
    Yes...cioppino. My family didn't make it though. My grandmother grew up very poor and lived in upstate PA, which is landlocked. Seafood was too pricey for their budget. Mostly, if there was seafood cooked by her it was baccala...which is salted cod. Given the limitations of the area, in terms of no easy and affordable access to fresh fish, that was basically it. My mother would make shrimp cocktail as part of her Christmas present to my grandfather because it was consider so "dear" (i.e. expensive) to them to indulge like that.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

2. Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 4:35 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Today @ 5:45 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are as sick of salad as I am today, you'll love this find:

The main purpose of this bread so far as I can determine is appetizer stuff (if we could entertain) and Tea Sandwiches!

Yes! Finally there is a store bought bread suitable for any tea sandwich filling you can imagine. Never overlook the tried and true cucumber sandwich (change it up with your own seasonings) but don't forget icy shrimp or crab sandwiches along with very finely diced cold egg salad.

Pair it with chilled asparagus and some vinaigrette and a couple of stuffed mushrooms (stuffed with whatever - they only take a minute under the broiler). All make-ahead except the mushrooms. You can make several sandwich fillings and just slap them together when needed.

Makes a change from the grilling.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    The other night I ate, for the first time ever, an entire tomato! I found a small farm near my sister's house so I went to load up on some veggies. The tomatoes were wonderful. Deep red inside and juicy. When I got home from work the other night I was too tired to cook anything, so I sliced it up and ate a couple of slices with mozzarella cheese. Nobody else wanted any and I knew if I wrapped it and put it in the fridge it would just go to waste, so I ate the rest. 5 thick slices of delicious tomato. I need to do that more often.
    Normally my go to is quartered tomatoes with onion and olive oil and basil. But it really is pretty delicious on its own with the mozzarella.

My attempt, however, at making a balsamic glaze went horribly wrong. I think I should have left the brown sugar out of it. It "seized" after I took it off the heat and was at best, burnt glue.
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

6. Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    The other night I ate, for the first time ever, an entire tomato! I found a small farm near my sister's house so I went to load up on some veggies. The tomatoes were wonderful. Deep red inside and juicy. When I got home from work the other night I was too tired to cook anything, so I sliced it up and ate a couple of slices with mozzarella cheese. Nobody else wanted any and I knew if I wrapped it and put it in the fridge it would just go to waste, so I ate the rest. 5 thick slices of delicious tomato. I need to do that more often.
    Normally my go to is quartered tomatoes with onion and olive oil and basil. But it really is pretty delicious on its own with the mozzarella.

My attempt, however, at making a balsamic glaze went horribly wrong. I think I should have left the brown sugar out of it. It "seized" after I took it off the heat and was at best, burnt glue.
    I really try hard to eat seasonally but sometimes I do buy those "sweet cherub" tomatoes out of season. But there's no comparison to a summer tomato. Caprese salad is what you ate but with some fresh basil added. Just a sec, what am I telling you for, Ms Italian? Don't worry about a glaze, just pour on the balsamic it's thick enough.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

8. Likes phillygirl liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I really try hard to eat seasonally but sometimes I do buy those "sweet cherub" tomatoes out of season. But there's no comparison to a summer tomato. Caprese salad is what you ate but with some fresh basil added. Just a sec, what am I telling you for, Ms Italian? Don't worry about a glaze, just pour on the balsamic it's thick enough.
    Yes, Michele...lol!! I did put a little balsamic on it. I was just so mad that I finally decided to make a glaze (always wanted to, but never did) and it was awful!!
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Michele...lol!! I did put a little balsamic on it. I was just so mad that I finally decided to make a glaze (always wanted to, but never did) and it was awful!!
    I've never made a glaze but I have had some on a warm chicken breast on top of greens...delish! I wonder what they thicken it with? Or, is it just reduced?

I'm on a bottle of balsamic right now that is so good. I think it's a fig one.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

HOW TO EAT A TOMATO:

Drive to the ESM.

Purchase ripe tomato from roadside stand on a farm.

Slice thick.

Dust with pepper (and salt, if you must, but not necessary as Shore tomatoes are already slightly salty).

Eat.

Alternative method: place slices on good bread with slice of sharp cheddar and NO DAMNED MAYONNAISE. Fresh basil leaves may be added. Eat.

ETA: Glaze, schmaze. De trop.
    Last edited by Celeste Chalfonte; Friday, July 31st, 2020 at 5:13 PM.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

12. Likes phillygirl liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 5:45 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    The tea sandwiches on that thin bread were extremely fine! I made one filling of shrimp salad finely diced and one of cream cheese, olives, and garden chives. Butter lettuce on both. The chilled asparagus was crisp and delish. I just made up a stuffing for the mushrooms but it was fine.

Just the right size for a summer evening and refreshing. Mr. Snaps did eat about four of them and gave Jack a mushroom (which was rejected). Jack is not a notable gourmet.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Today @ 4:35 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our Fred Myers upon here grossly over ordered beef when it was rumored there would be a shortage. Angus Ribeyes $8/pound

We bought a slew of them, vacuum packed, and froze them. Think of it as second wave prepping.
    If it pays, it stays