Thread: Bay Area doctors seeing more suicides during coronavirus stay-at-home order

Last Online
    Today @ 4:05 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Bay Area doctors seeing more suicides during coronavirus stay-at-home order

Bay Area doctors seeing more suicides during coronavirus stay-at-home order
    By Louis Casiano | Fox News

Excerpt:

Researchers have found the pandemic has affected the mental health of many, but especially teenagers and children. Young people who were diagnosed with ADHD for the first time rose 66 percent during March and April, while 41 percent of patient visits among children and teenagers also involved discussion of depression, according to Athenahealth.

The Walnut Creek hospital has seen a sharp uptick in suicides that coincide with a Contra Costa County shelter-in-place order to combat the coronavirus. The hospital did not reveal how many people have taken their own lives, but one doctor told the news outlet the figure is "unprecedented."

"We've never seen numbers like this in such a short period of time," Dr. Mike deBoisblanc said. "I mean, we've seen a year's worth of suicide attempts in the last four weeks."

The Contra Costa County Crisis Center said calls to the hotline are up, but not dramatically.

"I think people found themselves disconnected from the normal social supportive networks that they have -- churches, schools, book clubs -- you name it," Tom Tamura, executive director of the crisis center, told the station. "Generally speaking, the vast majority of people say they feel better after they call and get the resources they need."

DeBoisblanc said he thinks it's time for officials to reopen the county in an effort to address the mental health implications of prolonged isolation.
    I'm sure this isn't confined to the Bay Area but probably true in many areas where most gathering places have been shuttered.

I've known a couple of people who killed themselves and others who did try or make serious gestures. I would guess that a lack of structure is a big part of this. Even if your job/school and friends are crappy, the habit of going there and interacting provides some inertia which can slow down planning. For some people, hanging out at a bar or using substances at parties may not be healthy, exactly, but it provides a social group and something to do aside from focusing on internal problems.

Then there are people who do rely on church or hobby clubs or similar things as a real reason to get up everyday. They may have no real friends or intact family relationships so those activities are "enough" for them. You or I may think it's a poor substitute for better social relationships but it doesn't have to be ideal to prevent a disturbed person from making a permanent decision.

Fox
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would be interesting to know the demographic breakdown.

Last Online
    Today @ 4:05 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Would be interesting to know the demographic breakdown.
    I'm sure the breakdown is similar or identical to what it was before the virus. There's just more pressure on people who are vulnerable to those thoughts now.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."