Thread: Epic Raccoon Fight

Last Online
    Today @ 5:13 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Epic Raccoon Fight

So, after a lot of hard physical labor (for me) yesterday, I was reading a book outside last night and suddenly heard a hellacious racket about 30 feet away from me. It was LOUD and creepy. I'm no stranger to animal interactions but this sounded a lot like demonic possession coupled with some 'Island of Dr. Moreau' action. At first, I thought a bobcat might be involved.

Then I knew it had to be raccoons because I could also hear the young raccoons raising an alarm.

I got the tactical flashlight and sure enough - an epic battle was in going on between a mother raccoon and what I guess was a wandering male. Neither took the least notice of the blinding light. Jack was uninvolved since he was listening to some hippie rock with Mr. Snaps inside.

No casualties ensued and eventually the mother drove off the male, sorted her kids out, and trooped off. We have several water features so raccoons are just a fact of life for us in the summer.

However, I had never heard or seen this kind of fight. They usually break it off within a few seconds.

What epic animal battles have you seen?
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Today @ 11:48 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    So, after a lot of hard physical labor (for me) yesterday, I was reading a book outside last night and suddenly heard a hellacious racket about 30 feet away from me. It was LOUD and creepy. I'm no stranger to animal interactions but this sounded a lot like demonic possession coupled with some 'Island of Dr. Moreau' action. At first, I thought a bobcat might be involved.

Then I knew it had to be raccoons because I could also hear the young raccoons raising an alarm.

I got the tactical flashlight and sure enough - an epic battle was in going on between a mother raccoon and what I guess was a wandering male. Neither took the least notice of the blinding light. Jack was uninvolved since he was listening to some hippie rock with Mr. Snaps inside.

No casualties ensued and eventually the mother drove off the male, sorted her kids out, and trooped off. We have several water features so raccoons are just a fact of life for us in the summer.

However, I had never heard or seen this kind of fight. They usually break it off within a few seconds.

My wife and daughter
    Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
    and lost …
    But the Republicans are racist.

3. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    My wife and daughter
    Did you try spraying them with the hose? That works a lot of times.

Last Online
    Today @ 11:48 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you try spraying them with the hose? That works a lot of times.
    I usually decided to mow the lawn or change the oil in one of the cars.
    Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
    and lost …
    But the Republicans are racist.

6. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

What would prompt a fight between a male and female raccoon? I would have expected it to be 2 males, over either territory or a female. But I freely admit, I know very little about raccoon society.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    What would prompt a fight between a male and female raccoon? I would have expected it to be 2 males, over either territory or a female. But I freely admit, I know very little about raccoon society.
    It was the kits probably. Males sometimes attack the babies so the mothers either avoid the males or fight them off.

Males will fight each other occasionally but the fight is usually over pretty quick.