Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Celeste! Favor us with your cranberry recipe, please

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    Every year I swear I'm going to make homemade cranberry sauce...then I say "meh". This recipe does look good, though. Pineapple makes everything better.
    It takes less than 20 minutes. Really. If I can make it, anybody can. Remember, I'm the one whose 4-year-old explained to someone, "Mama is not much of a cooker."
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

2. Likes phillygirl liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:28 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every year I swear I'm going to make homemade cranberry sauce...then I say "meh". This recipe does look good, though. Pineapple makes everything better.
    I can certainly back up Celeste that this is super-easy. It's barely more time and effort than heating up a can of soup. And the rewards are definitely well worth it: the difference between this and something out of a can, or even something from a deli, is night and day.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I can certainly back up Celeste that this is super-easy. It's barely more time and effort than heating up a can of soup. And the rewards are definitely well worth it: the difference between this and something out of a can, or even something from a deli, is night and day.
    It's not so much the time commitment, it's just that I tend to bring a lot of things to my sister's already, and the packing up of everything to deliver starts to be a pain. This year her sister-in-law is having Christmas, so I think I'm going to do like the rest of them do...bring one dish and that's it. I usually do all the appetizers, one or two side dishes and one or two desserts. I cut back for this Thanksgiving because we're having a smaller crowd and eating early. Minimal appetizers (cheese board and spinach dip), the sweet potatoes and one pie. I will probably head down to Maryland after dinner for some peace and quiet.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:28 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not so much the time commitment, it's just that I tend to bring a lot of things to my sister's already, and the packing up of everything to deliver starts to be a pain. This year her sister-in-law is having Christmas, so I think I'm going to do like the rest of them do...bring one dish and that's it. I usually do all the appetizers, one or two side dishes and one or two desserts. I cut back for this Thanksgiving because we're having a smaller crowd and eating early. Minimal appetizers (cheese board and spinach dip), the sweet potatoes and one pie. I will probably head down to Maryland after dinner for some peace and quiet.
    Understood. BTDT.

When I was still married, the ex drew Thanksgiving duty every year at whatever veterinary practice she was at. Someone has to go and feed the dogs and cats and give them water and all of that. Most of the places where she worked, there were plenty of "orphans:" college kids working through Thanksgiving for some extra bux, DVM students putting in their hours, etc. For several years, I would get up at 0dark:30 and start Thanksgiving for those folks and then take it all to them: turkey, stuffing, gravy, deviled eggs, etc., etc., etc. It's definitely not easy transporting all of that stuff, particularly if it's more than just a couple of miles away. Just getting all of that into the car and secured in some fashion that wouldn't turn into a gelatinous mass in the trunk was a thirty-minute endeavor at the bare minimum. For a few years, Nikki worked at a place that was about 30 miles away on a winding, twisty road up and down the side of the Cumberland Rim. Trying to keep all of that stuff from flying apart on a hairpin curve was certainly a challenge to my patience at the very least.

It was worth it, a labor of love. These were people who otherwise were going home to whatever 88¢ TV dinner they could afford. To give them a solid Thanksgiving meal was just something meaningful I could do for young folks struggling to get a leg up in the world.

The great part about cranberry sauce is that it travels well. I picked up a couple of those "disposable reusable" ziploc tubs, and then I'll bring the serving bowl empty. Once I get there, I'll just empty out the ziplocs into the bowl and voilà! Thanksgiving is done.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Understood. BTDT.

When I was still married, the ex drew Thanksgiving duty every year at whatever veterinary practice she was at. Someone has to go and feed the dogs and cats and give them water and all of that. Most of the places where she worked, there were plenty of "orphans:" college kids working through Thanksgiving for some extra bux, DVM students putting in their hours, etc. For several years, I would get up at 0dark:30 and start Thanksgiving for those folks and then take it all to them: turkey, stuffing, gravy, deviled eggs, etc., etc., etc. It's definitely not easy transporting all of that stuff, particularly if it's more than just a couple of miles away. Just getting all of that into the car and secured in some fashion that wouldn't turn into a gelatinous mass in the trunk was a thirty-minute endeavor at the bare minimum. For a few years, Nikki worked at a place that was about 30 miles away on a winding, twisty road up and down the side of the Cumberland Rim. Trying to keep all of that stuff from flying apart on a hairpin curve was certainly a challenge to my patience at the very least.

It was worth it, a labor of love. These were people who otherwise were going home to whatever 88¢ TV dinner they could afford. To give them a solid Thanksgiving meal was just something meaningful I could do for young folks struggling to get a leg up in the world.

The great part about cranberry sauce is that it travels well. I picked up a couple of those "disposable reusable" ziploc tubs, and then I'll bring the serving bowl empty. Once I get there, I'll just empty out the ziplocs into the bowl and voilà! Thanksgiving is done.
    Nice. It will be nice for you to relax and enjoy the dinner. One of these years I'm just going to go away to someplace warm for the holiday and skip the family dynamics. I'll miss the kids, though.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 4:23 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, if we are into Holiday foods and what to 'bring' or prepare.... here we go...

We moved to the Stl area from the Joplin area in '78.
    It became a tradition that Jan's family would come to Stl for Thanksgiving, and we would go to Joplin for Christmas.

After she passed, for several years, my daughter and I couldn't do Thanksgiving and Christmas.
    Just too hard, and her husband is a cop and always had duty.

We would volunteer for the food line at Harbor Lights, the main Salvation Army site in downtown Stl.

After my first grandchild was born, my daughter started the tradition of Thanksgiving and Christmas at her house.

Her husband invites all the patrol units to stop by their house and partake.

At Thanksgiving, I'm required to bring two different types of pies, the deviled eggs and make the gravy.
    At Christmas, my duty is a very easy meatball recipie. So easy it stinks. And the mashed potatoes.

So, one year prior to Christmas, I'm talking with her about how many people she's expecting. She is freaking out... could be over 30...
    I told her I didn't have enough ground beef for meatballs for that many people, but I had some very good sausage in the freezer that I could use to push the amount...

She went off...
    Started yelling....
    "Do not F*** with the meat balls"

over and over....

ok, ok, ok..
    I did anyway and everybody liked them...

This Sunday, I get a text from her...
    "I have pumpkin and cherry pie..
    you have two other types of pie and the deviled eggs, right, right right?"

yes... and?

"Do not F*** with the eggs this year"

yes ma'am..

Last year, I set aside 6 eggs (12 deviled eggs) and hit them with some Tobasco and placed a slice of jalapeno on top.

Today I get a text...
    "what do you need for the gravy"....

uhh.. flour.. milk... oh and by the way, you will be baking a turkey, right? the pan drippings would be considered an essential.. If not, I won't be there.. K
    Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
    and lost …
    But the Republicans are racist.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nova is the absolute wizard of portable Thanksgiving dinner. When most of the family was in FL and a random assortment of others likely to show up, we did Thanksgiving at the beach. It started the year my dad died, and Mom couldn't face doing Thanksgiving at her house with his place at the table empty. We decided to move it to the beach (near the playground, where there are covered but open-sided shelters with picnic tables), and make it potluck. Well, sort of. HRH was still a tot, so I only had to make the cranberry sauce. Nova roasted the turkey, made the dressing, cornbread, mashed potatoes and gravy. Mom made the sweet potato fluff and brought the pies (none of us inherited my grandmother's hand with pastry, so for many decades now the pies have been store-bought) and beverages. We long ago gave up the pretense of consuming green things on Thanksgiving.

As you can see, the lion's share of preparation went to Nova. He taught me to do the Saran-Wrap thing to keep the top from coming off the serving dish for the cranberry sauce. He has a foolproof system for packing the other stuff so that it's like a 3-D puzzle; nothing shifts, breaks or leaks or gets squashed. Mom has an all-purpose picnic bin she keeps stocked with disposable tablecloths (holiday and generic), plates and napkins (likewise), heavy-duty plastic utensils, stainless serving pieces, wet wipes, trash bags and clips for holding the tablecloth on when it's windy.

Ours is a somewhat unusual holiday tradition, although I never knew that until I had holidays with friends' or partners' families as an adult. We've all got mouth enough for ten rows of teeth, and there's never a shortage of opinions (I bet THAT comes as a surprise - not), but nobody gets drunk, nobody gets abusive and I can't recall anyone ever going home in a snit. In fact, Nova may correct me on this, but I also don't recall any drama or bad behavior when he and I used to have Orphans' Thanksgiving and/or Christmas out here in CA.

This year, HRH and I (and possibly her best friend, whom I shall henceforth on this board call Agador, for reasons which should be obvious to anyone who's ever seen Birdcage) are all going to have Thanksgiving at the home of HRH's fairy godfathers, Butch and More-butch. The food will be FABULOUS and the company is always congenial. They don't let me cook.
    Last edited by Celeste Chalfonte; Thursday, November 27th, 2014 at 2:36 AM.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 18th, 2020 @ 8:00 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Nova is the absolute wizard of portable Thanksgiving dinner. When most of the family was in FL and a random assortment of others likely to show up, we did Thanksgiving at the beach. It started the year my dad died, and Mom couldn't face doing Thanksgiving at her house with his place at the table empty. We decided to move it to the beach (near the playground, where there are covered but open-sided shelters with picnic tables), and make it potluck. Well, sort of. HRH was still a tot, so I only had to make the cranberry sauce. Nova roasted the turkey, made the dressing, cornbread, mashed potatoes and gravy. Mom made the sweet potato fluff and brought the pies (none of us inherited my grandmother's hand with pastry, so for many decades now the pies have been store-bought) and beverages. We long ago gave up the pretense of consuming green things on Thanksgiving.

As you can see, the lion's share of preparation went to Nova. He taught me to do the Saran-Wrap thing to keep the top from coming off the serving dish for the cranberry sauce. He has a foolproof system for packing the other stuff so that it's like a 3-D puzzle; nothing shifts, breaks or leaks or gets squashed. Mom has an all-purpose picnic bin she keeps stocked with disposable tablecloths (holiday and generic), plates and napkins (likewise), heavy-duty plastic utensils, stainless serving pieces, wet wipes, trash bags and clips for holding the tablecloth on when it's windy.

Ours is a somewhat unusual holiday tradition, although I never knew that until I had holidays with friends' or partners' families as an adult. We've all got mouth enough for ten rows of teeth, and there's never a shortage of opinions (I bet THAT comes as a surprise - not), but nobody gets drunk, nobody gets abusive and I can't recall anyone ever going home in a snit. In fact, Nova may correct me on this, but I also don't recall any drama or bad behavior when he and I used to have Orphans' Thanksgiving and/or Christmas out here in CA.

This year, HRH and I (and possibly her best friend, whom I shall henceforth on this board call Agador, for reasons which should be obvious to anyone who's ever seen Birdcage) are all going to have Thanksgiving at the home of HRH's fairy godfathers, Butch and More-butch. The food will be FABULOUS and the company is always congenial. They don't let me cook.
    What a wonderful memory. Thank you for sharing.
    If it pays, it stays