Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peaceful Protests

Last Online
    Today @ 5:59 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I can't think of anything more irrational and abasing than kissing the boot of anyone at any time for any reason.

No sane person would ever allow even deranged people to perform this act.
    Judging from recent Bok posts it’s ok
    If it pays, it stays

2. Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 6:03 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bok's "people", whoever they might be, have never been overrun by conquerors.

Ours have.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Today @ 8:43 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    If the protesters are told to withdraw, or they start to advance, even if seemingly peaceful, they are putting the cops in jeopardy. And the cops will react accordingly.

Mark
    Question of why the cops are even there in the first place.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 8th, 2020 @ 8:39 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think anybody will disagree that some of the protests have been unpeaceful. I do condemn protests that physically hurt people and destroy businesses.

However, a lot of conservatives have been wolf cryers. I have watched people in my area say the protests were "unpeaceful" because a protester screamed during the protest (that's what protesters do). They're supposedly unpeaceful because they block a road or do something else that wasn't approved of by the law (MLK and Gandhi did that). I watched a video in Winston-Salem of people going in the middle of the street in front of City Hall and and immediately putting their hands behind their backs for cops to arrest. People called that unpeaceful. In my town, the protests were lead by people doing prayers in front of the police station. People argued that it causes division to even bring things up.

People purposely drive into protesters to try to run them over because they feel it's their right because the protesters aren't legally allowed in the road. Then they want to know why protesters try to pull them out of the car? Hello? You tried to murder them. Yes, they're pissed. I can understand if you're going 60 mph down a highway not expecting a protester and accidently hit them. But these people are finding the streets the protesters are on and purposely trying to run them over. That's attempted murder. These same people condemn tearing up Target, but they'll murder human beings. Really?

And I know most of you all are white Republicans. The truth is most of you have no clue how it feels to be afraid of your kid or other family members leaving the house in fear of the cops or somebody else killing them. You don't know how it feels to have to research places to see if it's safe for people of your race to go into. Some of you are like "Well Lanie, you're white too." That's right. I do know what it's like to be super poor (a problem many black people have). However, I have often driven wherever I felt like going and didn't worry so much about the color of my skin getting me killed. I've driven through poor black neighborhoods more times than I can count and have been left alone. I have looked inside empty houses and didn't get shot.

I know white people who have resisted or supposedly resisted the police during an arrest and didn't end up on their chest to be suffocated to death. I even knew a white person who once walked into a police station to turn in a gun he found. He aimed like an idiot. He didn't die. The policeman immediately took the gun from him to get his own prints on it so that guy wouldn't be implicated in anything. Yes, more white people get shot by the cops, but you're more likely to die from a cop's hand if you're black because there are far less of them. And the truth is many people were raised to fear black people and that's what's leading out to a lot of shootings.

I feel badly for commenting on here and then not showing back up again for days. That's wrong. And at the same time, I feel like any "fighting" energy I have needs to go locally. I've said before they're extremely racist over here in ways that a lot of conservatives in other parts of the country don't even believe is happening. My ability to hold my tongue or try to be nice has gone away for the most part because I feel like it's not working. Between the blm stuff and the total disregard for life in regards to COVID-19 from some people, I'm just done.

And I don't want to hear how I'm stupid, misinformed, immature, blah, blah, blah. I'm past that too.

I want peaceful protest, but I also want conservatives to stop falsely accusing people of not having peaceful protests over little stuff. That's why the word "karen" is going around. It's basically somebody wanting to cry wolf and I'm fed up with it. I'm especially fed up with it after watching conservatives run around with guns trying to threaten politicians for not opening up. There was one case in Raleigh where somebody with a big ass gun ordered a sandwich at a Subway and then sat down to eat inside after being asked not to. What was the clerk going to do? Make somebody with big gun leave? In MI, people threatened to behead the governor. In my area, I read conservatives saying that our governor needed to be stopped "whatever it takes." I know what he meant to say. After some of those re-open protests, I just don't want to hear lectures. Those were often unpeaceful too.
    Last edited by Lanie; Monday, August 3rd, 2020 at 8:54 AM.
    With over 157K deaths to COVID-19, these Chinese sending us seeds to hurt us, and expecting kids to practice social distancing in school in ways adults can't, welcome to level eight.

Last Online
    Today @ 1:04 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I don't think anybody will disagree that some of the protests have been unpeaceful.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

And the truth is many people were raised to fear black people and that's what's leading out to a lot of shootings.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

And I don't want to hear how I'm stupid, misinformed, immature, As you exhibit those qualities blah, blah, blah. I'm past that too.

Those were often unpeaceful too.
    Another long screed with nothing in it except accusations.

Now Lanie will disappear while she writes her next screed filled with accusations without proof.
    Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
    and lost …
    But the Republicans are racist.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 8th, 2020 @ 8:39 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Another long screed with nothing in it except accusations.

Now Lanie will disappear while she writes her next screed filled with accusations without proof.

And you see, that right there is the problem. I have to say you've done a good job of demonstrating my point lately.

On edit: For any truly productive conversation to happen between me and others here, I need people to speak with me, not down to me. I need you to believe what I say instead of accusing me of lies or not knowing what I'm talking about. I say what I know and seen and you guys say what you know and have seen. For a real conversation and not a "fight" to happen, I have to be your equal and not somebody to talk down to.
    Last edited by Lanie; Monday, August 3rd, 2020 at 9:59 AM.
    With over 157K deaths to COVID-19, these Chinese sending us seeds to hurt us, and expecting kids to practice social distancing in school in ways adults can't, welcome to level eight.

Last Online
    Today @ 1:04 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    And you see, that right there is the problem. I have to say you've done a good job of demonstrating my point lately.

On edit: For any truly productive conversation to happen between me and others here, I need people to speak with me, not down to me. I need you to believe what I say instead of accusing me of lies or not knowing what I'm talking about. I say what I know and seen and you guys say what you know and have seen. For a real conversation and not a "fight" to happen, I have to be your equal and not somebody to talk down to.
    If you continue to post 'things you know' that are mostly bullshit, will continue to call you out.
    Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
    and lost …
    But the Republicans are racist.

Last Online
    Today @ 6:03 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the big problem with 'lived experience' is that everybody has it. Yours isn't more valid than anybody else's.

You may not have any violent encounters with protesters but people out here have had that. In fact, they've been shot by the protesters. Businesses have been wrecked - black businesses.

Blacks were enjoying the best employment situation they'd ever had before all this idiocy with the virus and the riots. Defunding police just means that minority areas will have even less police protection than before. Keeping kids out of school just means that marginal students will be failing students but passed on so that employers will avoid them based on age/skin whether that's fair or not since they can't test for basic skills.

So far as I can see, we're setting up the parameters for a new segregation. I don't think that's a good idea but the framework is being laid. Reeducating the entire population of white people as a condition of employment, education, or doing business won't actually incline them to be sympathetic to any of these demands. It will render blacks as "exotic" and too risky to interact with outside of formal situations. That's not good, either.

A better solution is to punish those who deserve it (as Chauvin and others seem to deserve) and move on from there. That's the classical liberal view.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Today @ 5:59 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lanie posted:
    Yes, more white people get shot by the cops, but you're more likely to die from a cop's hand if you're black because there are far less of them.
    Does it occur to you that this happens because blacks are involved in more crime? When 13% of the population commits 52% of the murders, just who do you think the cops will be looking at? They also commit more violent crimes other than murder, in excess of their portion of the population. Do you think laws are sexist Lanie? Why is it that 93% of the prison population is male when males only make up 50% of the population? Is that a problem as well?

And the truth is many people were raised to fear black people and that's what's leading out to a lot of shootings.

“There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

― Jesse Jackson
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's why the word "karen" is going around. It's basically somebody wanting to cry wolf and I'm fed up with it.
    Only on the left. The right uses it too when describing people on the left who are perpetually offended by most anything.

Is unpeaceful even a word?
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.