Thread: Cancel Culture Still Circling Ellen for Friendship with President Bush

Last Online
    Today @ 5:45 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Cancel Culture Still Circling Ellen for Friendship with President Bush

Cancel Culture Still Circling Ellen for Friendship with President Bush
    Gary Schneeberger|Posted: Jul 31, 2020 12:01 AM

America’s talk show sweetheart is under a fusillade of fire for the alleged “toxic” work environment of her beloved, 12-time-Emmy-winning daytime series. It’s getting so bad for her, one branding expert said a few days ago that the accusations against the show could bring an “apocalyptic ending to her TV career.”

And what has she been accused of? Something as abusive, and illegal, as what toppled Bill Cosby or Harvey Weinstein? No. The producers of the show responsible for its day-to-day operation have been called out for such things as “bullying” and “racial microaggressions” – charges rightly being investigated. Ellen herself has only been charged with such offenses as being “cold” and “mean” and – gasp! – not saying “hi” to a bodyguard assigned to protect her. Translation: She may be guilty of pampered, even egotistical, star behavior. That puts her in a long line, but should not put her on the firing line.

The true “crimes” the cancel culture is after Ellen for having less to do with her being a boorish celebrity than for being friends with a conservative Republican former president.

Think back to last fall, and the social-media gang-tackling she endured when cameras caught her sharing some laughs sitting next to George W. Bush at a Dallas Cowboys football game. The two, you may remember, were among the guests of team owner Jerry Jones invited into his private box to enjoy the game. When TV cameras caught the pair appearing to enjoy each other’s company rather than coming to culture-war blows, Ellen got lambasted ceaselessly from her side of the ideological aisle.

“Crooks of a feather, flock together,” one Twitter user wrote, calling her a “#FakeLiberal Corporate Fascist shill” and throwing in that Bush was a “Psychopath & Traitor” for good measure.

Ellen was asked by another Twitter user, “How does it feel to watch a game with a mass-murdering genocidal war criminal?” And another opined: “It doesn't matter if you're gay or straight. Just untouchably rich. And white, of course.”

So out-of-control was the controversy that Ellen was forced to address it in her monologue the next day.

"People were upset," she understated. "They thought, ‘Why is a gay Hollywood liberal sitting next to a conservative Republican president? Here's the thing. I'm friends with George Bush. In fact, I'm friends with a lot of people who don't share the same beliefs that I have.

“Just because I don't agree with someone on everything doesn't mean that I'm not going to be friends with them," she added. "When I say, ‘Be kind to one another,' I don't only mean the people that think the same way that you do. I mean be kind to everyone.’ "

Some applauded her big-tent practice of friendship, but many remained unmoved and savaged her in the press. Ellen DeGeneres, whose mantle is filled with awards of appreciation from liberal organizations and causes, had lost her “one of us” card and was not going to get it back.
    More.

I seldom watch any talk show and I'm no fan of Ellen's show or lifestyle but this does seem to be a witch hunt by social media. I know and have cordial relationships with wild-eyed progressive types and near insane feminists. We just don't discuss areas where we differ. Unbelievably, there is a lot to talk about or do that doesn't involve identity politics or political matters.

As the article mentions, being "mean" isn't a crime. I have no idea if she is mean to underlings but if she is, she'd be in a super long line of celebrities and power brokers. The normal response to that kind of treatment is to find another job. If you stick it out to gain some perceived advantage or status, there are words to describe that and none of them are flattering.

Having hired and fired a lot of people over the years and having been a fairly powerless employee from time to time, I'm well aware of the office gossip machine and the disgruntled employee revenge strategy. If these people had a claim or suit, they'd bring it (and some do even if the allegations are immediately dismissed). Think high school lunch table.

Townhall
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

2. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 4:35 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    More.

I seldom watch any talk show and I'm no fan of Ellen's show or lifestyle but this does seem to be a witch hunt by social media. I know and have cordial relationships with wild-eyed progressive types and near insane feminists. We just don't discuss areas where we differ. Unbelievably, there is a lot to talk about or do that doesn't involve identity politics or political matters.

As the article mentions, being "mean" isn't a crime. I have no idea if she is mean to underlings but if she is, she'd be in a super long line of celebrities and power brokers. The normal response to that kind of treatment is to find another job. If you stick it out to gain some perceived advantage or status, there are words to describe that and none of them are flattering.

Having hired and fired a lot of people over the years and having been a fairly powerless employee from time to time, I'm well aware of the office gossip machine and the disgruntled employee revenge strategy. If these people had a claim or suit, they'd bring it (and some do even if the allegations are immediately dismissed). Think high school lunch table.

Townhall

Judging from secret service reports if meanest was a crime Hillary would be doin' time.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Today @ 5:45 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    Judging from secret service reports if meanest was a crime Hillary would be doin' time.
    As would many politicians but it isn't a crime. It's a sign of poor leadership as is unrestricted benevolence. You can't punish everybody because of your own bad personality but you can't reward everybody in a doomed effort to be liked.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."