Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Those 'Food Deserts' May Become Food Wastelands

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 4:07 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Having been below the poverty line myself I can say with authority that all those friends and relations with endlessly available cars weren't part of my culture. I had to walk and take the bus.
    Key words to read: poverty culture.
    NOT "poor student culture" with expectations of better.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I can testify that at times dear Celeste does the Lord's work quietly. One summer she practically adopted a little one armed boy and his mother.
    ONE summer? Then dropped them for the rest of their lives?

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I can testify that at times dear Celeste does the Lord's work quietly. One summer she practically adopted a little one armed boy and his mother.
    Your intentions are good, dear, but please don't trouble yourself to extol my virtues to that smear of excrement on the bottom of this community's shoe. She isn't capable of understanding.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Today @ 2:15 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Key words to read: poverty culture.
    NOT "poor student culture" with expectations of better.
    Oh, you thought I was a student? That's a knee-slapper!

No, honey. I ate pretty well as a student since I worked as a server and dated a lot.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, you thought I was a student? That's a knee-slapper!

No, honey. I ate pretty well as a student since I worked as a server and dated a lot.
    What exactly are you claiming?

Last Online
    Today @ 2:15 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    What exactly are you claiming?
    That people can't just call up cars from friends or relatives whenever they need to and that getting to and from a grocery store or drug store miles and miles away using public transportation is a nightmarish experience that takes hours and hours compared to walking a couple of blocks.

I don't know how much public transportation you've used but I used a lot. Women especially are bothered on buses or are unsafe waiting for buses in many areas or after dark. If you take care of your grand kids during the day, you may not be able to make a round trip to a grocery store outside your neighborhood during midday. Taking three kids on a bus is a hard job and that's without hauling cans or milk in bags.

Walking to a small shop a block or two away is much safer. Odds are, your kid's friends or somebody who knows you will keep an eye out for you.

There is a poverty culture but most people experiencing poverty aren't part of it. They are down on their luck and making do over bad decision-making or other factors. They will get out but living with it at the time is made much worse by not having even crummy options for food.

When they burn your neighborhood stores out, they put more of a burden on people. The people who do that kind of thing never live with it themselves.

This should not be difficult to understand.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

7. Likes Michele, Celeste Chalfonte liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    That people can't just call up cars from friends or relatives whenever they need to and that getting to and from a grocery store or drug store miles and miles away using public transportation is a nightmarish experience that takes hours and hours compared to walking a couple of blocks.

I don't know how much public transportation you've used but I used a lot. Women especially are bothered on buses or are unsafe waiting for buses in many areas or after dark. If you take care of your grand kids during the day, you may not be able to make a round trip to a grocery store outside your neighborhood during midday. Taking three kids on a bus is a hard job and that's without hauling cans or milk in bags.

Walking to a small shop a block or two away is much safer. Odds are, your kid's friends or somebody who knows you will keep an eye out for you.

There is a poverty culture but most people experiencing poverty aren't part of it. They are down on their luck and making do over bad decision-making or other factors. They will get out but living with it at the time is made much worse by not having even crummy options for food.

When they burn your neighborhood stores out, they put more of a burden on people. The people who do that kind of thing never live with it themselves.

This should not be difficult to understand.
    I was thinking about how I get up at 5 am in the summer to go walking five miles so I don't get sunburned or heat exhaustion. Then I thought of how high our temps were this summer and no, I would not walk a mile to the market...which is actually six miles away.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are not the kind of services for the elderly and the disabled that you might expect. I know. I've tried to access them for my sister, to no avail. I've been poor by choice (pursuing an education). I've had no car and had to walk 2 miles to the grocery store. I was young and healthy and in relatively good shape. It still sucked, even though I never had to walk it alone (my roommate and I would go together). The walk there wasn't too bad. The walk back, with bags of groceries, sucked.

My grandmother never drove. She would take the bus downtown after my grandfather died in order to get groceries. An 82 year old woman. By herself. I'm sure that sucked. Particularly when she collapsed in the store and again when she got home. That's how she discovered she had leukemia.

I'm so glad that Lady Marva has never had hardship. She's lucky.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I take back what I said about LM being lucky to never have experienced hardship. I'm a firm believer that hardship helps to develop strength as well as empathy. Without it people become like the Kardashians...or LM.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

11. Thanks Michele thanked for this post
    Likes Celeste Chalfonte, Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    Actually, I take back what I said about LM being lucky to never have experienced hardship. I'm a firm believer that hardship helps to develop strength as well as empathy. Without it people become like the Kardashians...or LM.
    So happy you know my life.