As reported on ABC News.
Army Sgt. Major Thomas Payne received the Medal of Honor on Friday for his heroism in a daring special operations raid in northern Iraq that liberated 75 Iraq civilians.

The Army Ranger received the nation’s highest award for heroism on the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks that prompted him to join the Army right out of high school.

“You embody the righteous glory of American valor. We stand in awe of your heroic daring and gallant deeds. You truly went above and beyond the call of duty to earn our nation's highest military honor,” President Donald Trump said at a White House ceremony to present Payne with the award.
One amazing aspect of the event in focus is that there is video of damn near the whole thing.

Payne told Pentagon reporters on Thursday that after receiving the award he would consider himself to be more than a Medal of Honor recipient, but a guardian of what it means.

“The spirit of the Medal of Honor lives in every American,” said Payne who joined the Army in 2002 following the 9/11 attacks. “I just want to be a man that wears it well and represents the Army.”
“The towers fell when I was a senior in high school,” said Payne. “It was a call to service. Love for country. And that's when I decided that I was going to serve in the military and I chose to serve with the 75th Ranger Regiment."

On October 22, 2015 Payne was part of a joint U.S.-Iraqi special operations raid on an ISIS prison in northern Iraq that rescued 75 hostages and killed 20 ISIS fighters.

Master Sgt. Josh Wheeler, a member of the American special operations team, was also killed in the fighting. At the White House, President Trump paid tribute to Wheeler who led the American team to assist the Kurdish Iraqi special operations team that was engaged in heavy fighting with ISIS fighters.

"We will honor him forever, you know that, very special group of warriors, men, great men,” Trump told Wheeler's widow, Ashley, who was at the ceremony. . . .
More. . . well written by Luis Martinez.