Thread: Tall, tiny house: Couple's solution to owning home in Seoul

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:27 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Tall, tiny house: Couple's solution to owning home in Seoul

Tall, tiny house: Couple's solution to owning home in Seoul
    Posted : 2020-09-16 17:05 Updated : 2020-09-17 07:54

The couple's house is close to the old Seoul City Wall near Dongdaemun in Seoul. /Courtesy of Choi Min-wook

Thirty three square meters of land doesn't seem big enough to build a house on. But architect and educator Choi Min-wook designed a five-story residential building for himself, his wife and their cat on a tiny plot of land in the heart of Seoul.

The couple settled there in March last year.

This year, their house won the best architecture award conferred by the Seoul Metropolitan Government.

The Korea Times visited the couple's home to talk about their experience.

The tall tiny house sits on top of a hill next to the old Seoul wall close to Dongdaemun. One side of the building faces the wall and wide glass windows offer a panoramic view of both the wall and the nearby park.

"Everything came together, I think. We were planning to get married and needed a place to stay," Choi said as to what motivated them. "I had a long interest in building small houses and we thought of one for ourselves."

There was also another factor.

"We have a good friend who is living under huge financial pressure after buying an apartment with a big mortgage. Looking at him, we figured there would be no life under the same kind of pressure. We weren't sure if we could live like that. We decided to find our own solution."

They set out to look for a small area of land within their budget. They had one important demand in selecting the land: having greenery in the neighborhood. The current location offered the best option.
    Weird but extremely cool!

Korea Times
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    HRH says, "They'll have Buns of Steel!"
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

3. Likes Michele, phillygirl, scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    HRH says, "They'll have Buns of Steel!"
    They will but it seems like that could be more of feature than a bug!

You don't exercise in house - house exercises YOU!

Last Online
    Today @ 7:49 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool idea but I hate the astroturf of an architect stumbling on an idea because he's poor.

Also, 1600 sqft for a dude, his girlfriend and a cat? That's some really rough living.

It would be much more genuine if the spin was absent. "Architect creates great space on a budget." Or "Bang for the buck? Innovative house paves the way to nice affordable space - and you'll have buns of steel!"
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

6. Likes Gingersnap liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    Cool idea but I hate the astroturf of an architect stumbling on an idea because he's poor.

Also, 1600 sqft for a dude, his girlfriend and a cat? That's some really rough living.

It would be much more genuine if the spin was absent. "Architect creates great space on a budget." Or "Bang for the buck? Innovative house paves the way to nice affordable space - and you'll have buns of steel!"
    The concept is super cool, though and they have as much or more actual space than most Asian apartment dwellers. I like the idea of smaller homes. Not true tiny homes necessarily but smaller homes.

Back on the ranch, our house was pretty small considering the ridiculous number of people in people in it but there were advantages I didn't recognize until adulthood.

It was very clean. There was no room for clutter. Kids shared bedrooms and tiny closets so it all had to be picked up all the time. You had to do, fold, iron, and put laundry away - there was no room to leave it around. There weren't any excess kitchen gadgets or pans/pots that weren't used weekly/monthly. You had to put all your stuff away (playing with toys, homework, school projects, hobbies, etc.) You could find everything instantly. The house took about an hour to clean unless windows or the oven/burners were involved - then two hours.

Dragging out the rugs and beating them took more time but that was twice a year. Ditto for the hated waxing. Furniture could be rearranged in an afternoon and was. It looked pretty good almost all the time. In the winter, we sometimes had to use racks to dry clothes. That was not a good look and ironing that stuff took forever.

So small is not always bad. It just takes some doing.

My brother has added more than one addition to the place. And I'll end there.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post

Really? It seems to me to be about the size of a small rancher, although built vertically rather than horizontally.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.