Today @ 2:12 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

Jumping on a plane pre-dawn

If it pays, it stays

2. Likes daveman, 80zephyr, Newman liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pronghorn are pretty fun although there's a lot of glassing. I don't care for the meat but I've never made sausage with it which probably is pretty good. All sausage is pretty good.

You should have great weather! Crisp but not cold, clear and fair. Have fun!
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Pronghorn are pretty fun although there's a lot of glassing. I don't care for the meat but I've never made sausage with it which probably is pretty good. All sausage is pretty good.

You should have great weather! Crisp but not cold, clear and fair. Have fun!
    Thanks

We love Pronghorn meat. This is a first attempt for Mule Deer. I drew a tag for both. Joyce only has an Antelope tag. We are flying down with coolers. How's that for a jinx.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    Thanks

We love Pronghorn meat. This is a first attempt for Mule Deer. I drew a tag for both. Joyce only has an Antelope tag. We are flying down with coolers. How's that for a jinx.
    Oh, you'll love mulies. I find them much tastier than white deer. They are a bit canny, though. Are you hunting in a baited area or just taking your luck? Look for them in dips. They are quite a bit faster than they look but they are very curious. You might get some interest with a little squeaky toy. My brother uses a little dog toy which is ridiculous but I've seen him do it.

Do you have a doe or buck tag?

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Oh, you'll love mulies. I find them much tastier than white deer. They are a bit canny, though. Are you hunting in a baited area or just taking your luck? Look for them in dips. They are quite a bit faster than they look but they are very curious. You might get some interest with a little squeaky toy. My brother uses a little dog toy which is ridiculous but I've seen him do it.

Do you have a doe or buck tag?
    All buck tags. It's a private ranch with very little pressure.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    All buck tags. It's a private ranch with very little pressure.
    You might get some good racks. They make nice mounts.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:32 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks

So you say you packed your bags last night pre-flight? Zero-hour 9 AM?
    Alaska Maa-aaa-aaa-an, 'Laska Man

Guy I work with went down to FL a few weeks ago to gator hunt. He got a 9-foot one. Took it to a processor. The meat was going to cost him $300 just for shipping it home. He settled for just the head.
    I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.

The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daveman View Post
    So you say you packed your bags last night pre-flight? Zero-hour 9 AM?
    Alaska Maa-aaa-aaa-an, 'Laska Man

Guy I work with went down to FL a few weeks ago to gator hunt. He got a 9-foot one. Took it to a processor. The meat was going to cost him $300 just for shipping it home. He settled for just the head.
    Flew 1st class and only checked the Tuffpak (rifle case). We get two free checked bags each. So at 50# per bag the first 150# of meat will be free then $2/pound after that.
    If it pays, it stays

10. Likes daveman liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:32 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flew 1st class and only checked the Tuffpak (rifle case). We get two free checked bags each. So at 50# per bag the first 150# of meat will be free then $2/pound after that.
    Good deal!
    I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.

The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Met the Rancher and his wife today. Really hit it off. Wife is a retired nurse and barrel racer so we exchanged war stories. Rancher liked the fact we could shoot while checking the zero on the rifle. (always check them after flying). Did a little ride around the ranch. Pronghorns galore, didn't see any deer but it wasn't the right time of day. The ranch is 55,000 acres of rolling topography.

Took a little walk around Gillette. Just what you need to see hanging out in town while prepping to hunt Pronghorn.

Gear is laid out on the hotel room floor and we are set.

IMG_1234.JPG
    If it pays, it stays

13. Likes daveman, Gingersnap liked this post