Thread: The Norwegian women’s beach handball team have been fined for ditching the sport’s traditional bikini bottoms for more comfortable shorts.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

The Norwegian women’s beach handball team have been fined for ditching the sport’s traditional bikini bottoms for more comfortable shorts.

Norwegian Handball Team Fined For Refusing To Wear Bikini Bottoms

Alister Ross in News, World Published 20.07.21

The Norwegian women’s beach handball team have been fined for ditching the sport’s traditional bikini bottoms for more comfortable shorts.

The courageous women made their stand during the bronze medal match against Spain on Sunday at the European Championships in Varna, Bulgaria, which took place from July 13 to 18.
    The Norwegians finished fourth place after Spain knocked them out of the tournament.
    The European Handball Federation released a statement on Monday addressing the team’s actions.

It reads: “The Disciplinary Commission at the Beach Handball EURO 2021 has dealt with a case of improper clothing.
    “In the bronze medal game against Spain on Sunday the team of Norway played with shorts that are not according to the Athlete Uniform Regulations defined in the IHF Beach Handball Rules of the Game.

“The Disciplinary Commission decided to impose a fine of €150 per player, for a total of €1,500.”
    According to the International Handball Federation beach handball rule book: “Women should wear a bikini where the top should be a tight-fitting sports bra with deep openings at the arms. The bottom must not be more than ten centimetres on the sides.”
    Men can wear longer shorts “that are not too baggy” but “should be 10 centimetres above the kneecap.”
    In response to the harsh fines, Norway’s Handball Federation issued a statement showing support for the heroic women.
    It reads: “We are very proud of these girls who are at the European Championships in beach handball,” read the statement. “They raised their voice and told us that enough is enough.
    “We are the Norwegian Handball Federation and we stand behind you and support you. We will continue to fight to change the international regulations for attire, so that players can play in the clothing they are comfortable with.”
    Kare Geir Lio, the head of the NHF, told AFP that women should have the freedom to wear clothing that they feel comfortable in.

Lio said: “It should be a free choice within a standardised framework.
    “The most important thing is to have equipment that athletes are comfortable with.”
    peaking to Norway’s national broadcaster NRK, Norwegian player Katinka Haltvik, 30, said that her team felt threatened by the current regulations and their decision to wear the shorts “was very spontaneous.”
    She said: “We have tried to ignore everything that has to do with the suits after we received the message from day one.
    “Many have sent us tips about body painting and other things we could do to demonstrate, and we had really thought about doing it, but we have felt threatened by the regulations.”
    She went on to say that the support from fans was overwhelming.
    She added: “We have got all the teams with us at least and we got a lot of fans in the stands today. People cheered on us as we walked in front of several teams and took the brunt. Not all teams can afford to pay such fines.”
    Haltvik continued by saying that she hopes all female players will be able to wear whatever they want at future events.
    She continued: “I hope we get a breakthrough for this and that next summer we play in what we want.
    “It should be an inclusive sport, not an exclusive one”
    Is it time for a change of the rules?
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Today @ 3:08 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a very strange rule.
    "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."

-John Locke

Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the shorts somehow gave some sort of a competitive advantage, then I could see a reason for the rule. I'm no handball expert, but I can't really imagine how wearing shorts instead of a bikini bottom somehow gives the players/team and edge, though.

Seems silly to me. Rule-making just for the sake of making rules.
    Bask in the warmth of the Deep South
    No one will be denied:
    Big law suits and bathroom toots;
    We're all getting Dixie-fried.
    But somewhere Hank and Lefty
    Are rollin' in their graves
    While kudzu vines grow over signs that read "Jesus Saves."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    If the shorts somehow gave some sort of a competitive advantage, then I could see a reason for the rule. I'm no handball expert, but I can't really imagine how wearing shorts instead of a bikini bottom somehow gives the players/team and edge, though.

Seems silly to me. Rule-making just for the sake of making rules.
    Given that the men can wear shorts (and I can understand the physiological reason for them) I'm not certain why the women can not.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

5. Likes Newman liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    Given that the men can wear shorts (and I can understand the physiological reason for them) I'm not certain why the women can not.
    Because the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition sells more copies than anything.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." — Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"Objective reality is not just an illusion, it's a delusion. Chiefly found in those who think others are crazy." - Celeste (1953 - )

"If Beethoven were sent to nursery school today, they would medicate him, and he would be a postal clerk." - Leon Botstein

7. Likes Michele, Newman, scott, 80zephyr, phillygirl liked this post
    Last Online
    Wednesday, August 18th, 2021 @ 5:27 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't blame 'em. Those bikini bottoms are more naked than naked.
    “I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.”

The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

9. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

We, the European Men’s Beach Volleyball Associate Disciplinary Commission, stand by our decision to fine the Norwegian men’s beach volleyball team for refusing to play in regulation dong-hugging banana hammocks during a game in our beloved sport’s Euro 2021 tournament.

In defiance of the rules, the team wore thigh-length, hog-hiding elastic shorts during their bronze medal match on Sunday to protest against the regulation zucchini-bikini design that our sport is famous for and requires.

Therefore, it was our commission’s unanimous decision that the team be fined 3,000 euros total — 1,500 euros for “improper clothing” and an additional 1,500 euros for being “less than sexy.”

As the team from Norway knows, male players must wear bespoke gossamer ball swings, cut “with a close fit and cut on a downward angle towards the inner top of the leg-meat” and a maximum width of three inches, according to International Volleyball Federation regulations.

This is not an arbitrary decision. The International Beach Volleyball Rules of the Game Handbook clearly states:

• All players of a team must wear identical sexy Norwegian nad-buckets
    • The combinations of colors and design of the dong-sarongs for the two teams must be clearly distinguishable and differently erotic from each other
    • The Beach Volleyball male player’s uniform should consist of two things: a thin layer of olive oil slathered over exposed skin and a “suitably sexy” plum-smuggler made of the flimsiest (and preferably transparent) material available
    • Smile more
    Bask in the warmth of the Deep South
    No one will be denied:
    Big law suits and bathroom toots;
    We're all getting Dixie-fried.
    But somewhere Hank and Lefty
    Are rollin' in their graves
    While kudzu vines grow over signs that read "Jesus Saves."

11. Likes daveman, Celeste Chalfonte, scott liked this post