Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cream cheese and olives

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:28 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Cream cheese and olives

This has been a summer staple in my family since well before I came around. Simple, tasty, versatile, and it makes for easy and quick lunches and whatnot. I usually spread it for sandwiches, but you can use this for a spread on crackers at a party, for example. I mixed this up to make a sandwich for lunch today.

• 2 bricks cream cheese, well-softened
    • 1 tbsp. mayonnaise or sour cream
    • 1 10-oz jar of sliced salad olives

Set out cream cheese for 2-3 hours to allow it to reach room temperature. You can also soften it even more by putting the bricks (in package) in the oven on the lowest possible setting for about 20 minutes.

Combine cream cheese and mayo or sour cream (for spreadability) in a bowl and mix thoroughly with rubber spatula. Slowly fork in olives from jar; do not add brine. It will be easier to fold these in a little bit at a time, rather than just trying to add them all at once. Chill in refrigerator until ready to use.

You can "jazz this up" all sorts of ways. My mother used to sometimes add crushed walnuts or pecans, for example. I like to add a little jar of capers. In the case of a sandwich or as a spread at a party, you can cover the top with Picapeppa sauce for a nice tang. I've also had this as a spread with jalapeño jelly over the top, which is quite tasty, too.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 4:32 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just put plain cream cheese on crackers with sliced black olives. Very tasty lunch.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 4:23 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder what a 'touch' of garlic would do for this.
    Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
    and lost …
    But the Republicans are racist.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    I wonder what a 'touch' of garlic would do for this.
    Probably quite tasty indeed.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Probably quite tasty indeed.
    I have the olives, and some cream cheese I need to use.

This will be Fri lunch, with a 'touch' of garlic on crackers..
    Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
    and lost …

6. Likes RobJohnson liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    I have the olives, and some cream cheese I need to use.

This will be Fri lunch, with a 'touch' of garlic on crackers..
    I love the garlic-stuffed olives I get from time to time at Publix, so I would think that some minced garlic mixed in would be pretty good. Would go nicely with the capers that I like, too.

8. Likes RobJohnson liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the garlic-stuffed olives I get from time to time at Publix, so I would think that some minced garlic mixed in would be pretty good. Would go nicely with the capers that I like, too.
    I'm not sure I want the capers with garlic except for texture. The crunch factor which is there with the cracker. BTW, no way I do this with a common soda cracker.
    Last edited by Gramps; Thursday, April 23rd, 2015 at 6:37 PM.
    and lost …

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    This has been a summer staple in my family since well before I came around. Simple, tasty, versatile, and it makes for easy and quick lunches and whatnot. I usually spread it for sandwiches, but you can use this for a spread on crackers at a party, for example. I mixed this up to make a sandwich for lunch today.

• 2 bricks cream cheese, well-softened
    • 1 tbsp. mayonnaise or sour cream
    • 1 10-oz jar of sliced salad olives

Set out cream cheese for 2-3 hours to allow it to reach room temperature. You can also soften it even more by putting the bricks (in package) in the oven on the lowest possible setting for about 20 minutes.

Combine cream cheese and mayo or sour cream (for spreadability) in a bowl and mix thoroughly with rubber spatula. Slowly fork in olives from jar; do not add brine. It will be easier to fold these in a little bit at a time, rather than just trying to add them all at once. Chill in refrigerator until ready to use.

You can "jazz this up" all sorts of ways. My mother used to sometimes add crushed walnuts or pecans, for example. I like to add a little jar of capers. In the case of a sandwich or as a spread at a party, you can cover the top with Picapeppa sauce for a nice tang. I've also had this as a spread with jalapeño jelly over the top, which is quite tasty, too.
    My college roommate turned me on to cream cheese and olive sandwiches, but she didn't bother with making a spread. She just slathered cream cheese onto toast and added a bunch of sliced olives until the surface of the cream cheese was essentially covered in olives. I've since done the same with capers. On a bagel with a thin slice of tomato on top, it's heaven on a bagel.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    My college roommate turned me on to cream cheese and olive sandwiches, but she didn't bother with making a spread. She just slathered cream cheese onto toast and added a bunch of sliced olives until the surface of the cream cheese was essentially covered in olives. I've since done the same with capers. On a bagel with a thin slice of tomato on top, it's heaven on a bagel.
    There at least used to be a little (I presume Jewish) deli at 88th and Lex that would work up a toasted onion bagel (fresh-made that morning), a spread of cream cheese, sprinkle on a few capers, and top it with some thin-sliced lox. That was some seriously good stuff, and it was cheap at the time: I think it was about $1.80 including tax back in the day when my brother lived two blocks away on 90th, but that was more than twenty years ago. I don't know if they're still there or not.

12. Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    There at least used to be a little (I presume Jewish) deli at 88th and Lex that would work up a toasted onion bagel (fresh-made that morning), a spread of cream cheese, sprinkle on a few capers, and top it with some thin-sliced lox. That was some seriously good stuff, and it was cheap at the time: I think it was about $1.80 including tax back in the day when my brother lived two blocks away on 90th, but that was more than twenty years ago. I don't know if they're still there or not.
    Add a little onion and tomato and that is one of my favorite meals
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.