Thread: Servers

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

Servers

I think I need to buy a new server for the office. Currently we have an HP something or other. We mostly run word processing, but do have a billing and time keeping program, scheduling program, etc. 8 desktops are attached.

Any ideas or recommendations? Just sort of wanting to ballpark something before I go to the IT guy. Thanks!
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:14 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    I think I need to buy a new server for the office. Currently we have an HP something or other. We mostly run word processing, but do have a billing and time keeping program, scheduling program, etc. 8 desktops are attached.

Any ideas or recommendations? Just sort of wanting to ballpark something before I go to the IT guy. Thanks!
    If it's just a file server you may want to upgrade your network switch first. Usually that's the problem, not a slow processor. If the billing and time keeping program run a database then there might be significant gains just by buying the new model of whatever you have. A larger database means more processing capacity is needed to crunch the data.

You can PM or FB me the details of what you have currently including the age of the server and the names of the software on it (like the billing and schedule software).

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:50 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda ditto. What server problems are you having?

Any?

What actual server problems are you having? Are you sure it's not speed/access issue? That could be a very different solution.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hear that you can pick up a used one from an FBI auction pretty cheap if you wait a while.

Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

5. Likes scott liked this post